RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3, 360, Wii U and..PC!?!?!?!

by noiseredux Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm at the part now (Mission 5) where you must escape through the vents and you have no weapons. It's actually making me pretty nervous.

I mean, I hope you're all tracking my progress with the appreciation that I'm a guy who has not played many FPS games. So maybe this is old hat to y'all. But to me, it's quite fun and exciting.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm at the part now (Mission 5) where you must escape through the vents and you have no weapons. It's actually making me pretty nervous.

This is by far the best part of the game. The feel, suspense and overall basic idea of that section makes you think about what might have been.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:14 pm

emwearz wrote:

This is by far the best part of the game. The feel, suspense and overall basic idea of that section makes you think about what might have been.

agreed
Sasha_Blue
64-bit

by Sasha_Blue Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Retrogamer0001 wrote:Colonial Marines had so much potential too! When I first saw the trailer, I, like many unfortunate souls, was extremely excited - it looked so good. But then reality kicked in...and the rest is history :(

Biggest disappointment I ever bought. I can't believe I spent $100 on this game. :cry:
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Sasha_Blue wrote:
Retrogamer0001 wrote:Colonial Marines had so much potential too! When I first saw the trailer, I, like many unfortunate souls, was extremely excited - it looked so good. But then reality kicked in...and the rest is history :(

Biggest disappointment I ever bought. I can't believe I spent $100 on this game. :cry:

I am so, so sorry.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:32 am

still in Mission 5 as I didn't get to play too much last night. But you guys are right, this is definitely the most tense mission of the game. First was the sneaking through the vents part. I'll be honest, the first time that big alien pushed through the floor startled me so bad that I literally yelled...

And then as I got to the part where it's being described that some of these husks are actually aliens and if you see them move you need to stay still, my wife thought it would be funny to jump into the game room and yelled something to startle me. Not cool. Anyway, that part was interesting with the 'stealth' dynamic though it didn't work that well considering (A) turning your flashlight on/off didn't seem to make the aliens detect you, and (B) turning around 360 degrees didn't seem to count as moving - so a bit of that realism was taken away. Though at one point like 3 of those things got inches away from me and I thought for sure I was detected and they were about to explode. It was tense enough that I found myself holding my breath (IRL) until they got away from me. I will also say that this section was fun because of the small bits of "puzzles" (IE: turning the machinery on to attract those things) and the very small bits of platforming.

I left off at the section where you're being chased by that big alien, which on first try seemed like it is going to be a bit of a challenge...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am

noiseredux wrote:
I left off at the section where you're being chased by that big alien, which on first try seemed like it is going to be a bit of a challenge...

The only challenge is finding the right path through that part and then hoping the NPC AI goes to the right place at the end so you can too (they have to go ahead). Took me a few tries.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Just beat Mission 6. I keep expecting to get to a point where I start to enjoy the game less. But I don't. Not really sure what that says about me. :?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:13 pm

been stuck for 2 days on Mission 7. THe part where you have to crush the big vehicle with a crane?

No matter how much I try there's just too many enemies hiding around every corner to kill me. Frustrating. Easily the hardest part of the game I've encountered so far.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:03 am

having a problem in Mission 9. I'm at the part where there's this big alien that kind of runs around on four legs and head butts you and tramples you. I've got O'Neil and someone else with me to hit him w/ everything we've got, but they're so useless as far as covering me. And of course there's stray Xeno's slinking around as well. Anyway, here's my problem. I have like 7 bullets in my shotgun. And I have 'infinity' bullets in a handgun. That's it. That's my stock of ammo. Basically, those 7 bullets go fast and then I've got such weak weaponry that I can barely fend off a Xeno. I can sometimes make it to some extra ammo from a dead soldier nearby, but as I'm picking it up I'm getting killed. :?
Return to Other Genres