Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3, 360, Wii U and..PC!?!?!?!?!?)

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3, 360, Wii U and..PC!?!?!?!

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:having a problem in Mission 9. I'm at the part where there's this big alien that kind of runs around on four legs and head butts you and tramples you. I've got O'Neil and someone else with me to hit him w/ everything we've got, but they're so useless as far as covering me. And of course there's stray Xeno's slinking around as well. Anyway, here's my problem. I have like 7 bullets in my shotgun. And I have 'infinity' bullets in a handgun. That's it. That's my stock of ammo. Basically, those 7 bullets go fast and then I've got such weak weaponry that I can barely fend off a Xeno. I can sometimes make it to some extra ammo from a dead soldier nearby, but as I'm picking it up I'm getting killed. :?

do you have any fire-based gernades or ammo? those work great. Otherwise just run around/dodge while near your buddies and they will eventually take him down.

glad you are getting near the end. i'll be curious your thoughts when finished.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

right so that charging bull alien was actually really easy once I realized how easy it was to dodge his attacks. Anyway, powered on and beat the game tonight. I'll plan a pretty extensive blog post, but for now I'll echo what I've said earlier in this thread: I really thought this game was a hell of a lot of fun, and not sure what that says about me as a gamer. :lol:
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

noiseredux wrote:I really thought this game was a hell of a lot of fun, and not sure what that says about me as a gamer. :lol:

That you don't buy into the bullshit hype train of games that comes from the internet. A few negative reviews and everyone is up in arms. You played a game and enjoyed it for what it was.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

image.jpg
image.jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

well played. But that's the thing. It's certainly not my GOTY. But I thought it was a blast. I outlined glitches I saw. I know that it's far from the visual quality of the demos shown prior to release. But... I had fun the whole time. I can't really find a critique that takes away the fun I had. So that's something. Dave, you know it's beyond rare for me to finish a FPS. Nevermind in two weeks. Maybe the setting/license just made me happy? I don't know. But just really enjoyed myself. I doubt it will make it into my Top 10, but at the same time it's not outside the realm of possibility either based solely on enjoyment.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:well played. But that's the thing. It's certainly not my GOTY. But I thought it was a blast. I outlined glitches I saw. I know that it's far from the visual quality of the demos shown prior to release. But... I had fun the whole time. I can't really find a critique that takes away the fun I had. So that's something. Dave, you know it's beyond rare for me to finish a FPS. Nevermind in two weeks. Maybe the setting/license just made me happy? I don't know. But just really enjoyed myself. I doubt it will make it into my Top 10, but at the same time it's not outside the realm of possibility either based solely on enjoyment.

Just teasing, really. I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't a good game, but the bugs were at least funny to run into and, as soon as you start interpreting it as a budget game, it offers a lot to like. I like it like I like a stupid action film that fails miserably at what it tries to be but becomes something else entirely in the process.

That said, you didn't think that the last boss was handled in a really poor way? Did you not think the level design of "run through and dodge aliens" on some levels was piss poor? Or were these design flaws simply not important to your overall enjoyment?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:Just teasing, really. I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't a good game, but the bugs were at least funny to run into and, as soon as you start interpreting it as a budget game, it offers a lot to like. I like it like I like a stupid action film that fails miserably at what it tries to be but becomes something else entirely in the process.

I pretty much agree with this.

I should point out that I really paid zero attention to the game before release. So I had no real hyped-up expectations. And by the time I played it, it was already heavily panned so then I just had low expectations.

I think perhaps if I had thought of it as a $60 day-one purchase big budget game, I'd probably be let down. But as a budget title (which to me it was having paid $10) it was actually well worth the price of admission.

That said, you didn't think that the last boss was handled in a really poor way?

The last boss was a joke. Just the fact that you had so many safe-spots and the ability to check your tracking device to know exactly what to do next sucked all tension out of that battle. I mean it was quite frankly the easiest 'boss battle' of the entire game. The "charging bull" alien and that big alien that would bust through the ceiling while you were sneaking around at least required some strategy.

"And I don't want to get on a rant here" but why the heck would my squad leave me to take on the queen by myself?

Did you not think the level design of "run through and dodge aliens" on some levels was piss poor? Or were these design flaws simply not important to your overall enjoyment?

Even once the game was over I never 'encountered' these "run through and dodge" sections. Again, perhaps if I were more familiar with modern FPS level design I would have realized where these sections were. But the few times I tried to just run and dodge I'd just end up with a Xeno killing me from behind.

I'm not denying that these sections exist, but because they weren't apparent to me they couldn't have interfered with my overall enjoyment. They just didn't exist as far as I could understand.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://www.edge-online.com/features/why ... of-aliens/

I am playing Turok. At least the dinosaurs in that are less jerky :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Ack

Post by Ack »

Pulsar_t wrote:http://www.edge-online.com/features/why-you-really-cant-make-a-videogame-of-aliens/

I am playing Turok. At least the dinosaurs in that are less jerky :lol:

The problem I have with that review is that the Alien franchise has previously been successfully turned into an FPS: Alien vs. Predator on the Atari Jaguar, Aliens versus Predator (1999) on PC (especially AvP Gold), and then Aliens versus Predator 2 (2001) on PC (though the Primal Hunt expansion could be seen as a mistep). All three of these games do an excellent job of forcing a human to fight groups of aliens, and yet the game still manages to be successful in making them a frightening monstrosity to go up against. Even if there are dozens of aliens coming towards you, each one is potentially lethal, and the inclusion of the Predator only manages to make things worse. And playing as the alien gives me a greater appreciation for them, as I'm now able to stalk my prey, climbing swiftly through airvents and stealthily down corridors to savage a lone Marine, or corkscrew my way through a hall to throw off enemy fire while I readily prepare to impale them upon my tail.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I looked at the screenshot and it got me excited, when I checked its review it got 4.5/10 on gamespot!!

is it even worth playing?

If not, do you know any good alien fps? I highly enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D , played it in '97 and again in 2013.