A Far Cry of a thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Re: Far Cry 3

Post by ninjainspandex »

I seriously think this is one of the greatest games i have ever played, i just got lost for hours just exploring, hunting and gathering. definitely the most immersive game i have ever played, unfortunately it is not without a few bugs. I froze up a couple times and fell through the map a few times. Also i ran into a potentially game breaking bug at the very end of the game, where i could no longer use my camera or throw rocks, apparently im not the only one. This is to be expected with such a massive game, hopefully this gets patched ASAP.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I'm nearly finished and I still think it's a mediocre game with a story that was massively overhyped. The one and only interesting character is before the game ends. The combat usually goes from seeming tactical to just standing in one area, ducking and standing to pop off shots at the brain dead AI that wont move around to flank you. The AI isn't as bad as most Far Cry games but it's still not good. The guns are lame, with the only two cool ones being the flamethrower and crossbow, both of which have very limited use. The rest of the guns are tinny sounding bullet-hoses.

Turning off a lot of the HUD helped the game for me, but, I still don't think it's all that great. Good sure, but, I just really don't get why so many people think it's the best game to have come out last year. I like the island setting and it's fun to drive around for awhile, and there's plenty of content. However, everything feels a bit samey. The progression system is pretty weak. The crafting and looting system is annoying. I also feel like the variety of environments was much better in Far Cry 2 (say what you will about that game, the setting was cool).

That all sounds very negative, so I want to make it clear I like the game. I wouldn't have sunk in several hours doing side quests if I didn't. It's just, in my eyes, not GOTY material.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Lone Wanderer
32-bit

Post by Lone Wanderer »

I absolutely loved it, until the end. I've played Farcry 2, and I liked 3's environment, setting, weapons, outpost system and weapons slots a lot better. I was really disappointed with the ending of Farcry 2 as well since you didn't really need to die, and should've been able to free roam after. I didn't like the tacked-on free roaming in Farcry 3, where you either
Die or leave the island

and then just randomly reappear. I also missed the weapon degeneration and free ammo (at gun shops) that Farcry 2 had.
Black DSi, Pink GBC, Softmodded Wii, Softmodded Fat Ps2, Black Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, Ps1 Slim, Atomic Purple GBC, Onyx GBA SP, Gears of War 3 Edition Xbox 360 Slim, PSP 3000, NES.
Luke wrote:Masturbation is a fool proof way of getting rid of ghosts. Seriously, not even ghosts want to see that. I suggest saying out loud, "Hey ghost, who's creeped out now? You scared?" in the process.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I thought Far Cry was ok, but I thought Far Cry 2 was amazing. Yes, it had many problems. But it got the open-world feel down quite well, and it's a movement in FPS that I want to see more of. Less MoH: Warfighter or CoD: MW with their straight forward paths. I want games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. where I'm thrown into a world and must survive on my own.

So does Far Cry 3 capture that feel?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Ack wrote:I thought Far Cry was ok, but I thought Far Cry 2 was amazing. Yes, it had many problems. But it got the open-world feel down quite well, and it's a movement in FPS that I want to see more of. Less MoH: Warfighter or CoD: MW with their straight forward paths. I want games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. where I'm thrown into a world and must survive on my own.

So does Far Cry 3 capture that feel?

Yes, but for whatever reason, it just feels less convincing than Far Cry 2. The world feels smaller to me even though I'm pretty certain it's bigger.

Pretty sure that's tied to the environmental variety it lacks.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah in a weird way I'd say the level design in FC2 stands out a bit more to me. Can't really pinpoint why. Gameplay/mechanics wise I liked FC3 way more, but yeah. Both are solid games in my book, I probably won't ever replay them but I don't regret running through them once.

I think going in expecting Stalker is asking for way too much though, haha. I saw people claim that comparison with FC3... yeah, not even close. Just feels literally cartoony in comparison or something.

Also despite the fact that enemy camps are taken over in FC3, that turned out to be an issue to me as well, because... it just made the game boring. You easily capture the points and bam, that territory is never really hostile ever again. FC2 was too extreme on the other end with the camps constantly respawning, but yeah... there needs to be some middle ground that both games failed to capture I'd say.

Story wise they both suck to me, really. lol, nothing special to talk about at all. FC3 had some great moments, if only visually for the most part. And FC2 just felt like a really generic bad movie plot. The plague thing was really annoying though, I didn't like that at all. But yeah nothing worth talking about in this department for the whole series to me. But hey, I didn't go in playing these for the story so oh well, heh.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Jason Brody’s a hero, but I’m not. You’re not. And that’s a story I’ve yet to play.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/sti ... far-cry-3/
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon

Post by Pulsar_t »

Why is there no talk of the apparently awesome Blood Dragon? Seems it's a stand-alone game. I like the soundtrack on Soundcloud.. Definitely worth playing by the looks (and sounds) of it!
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Blood Dragon was leaked and the gameplay videos looked insane. Like Tron meets Farcry with UT overlooking.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

THE MUSIC

MICHAEL BEIHN

Yes, Blood Dragon looks incredible.