Grand Theft Auto V

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by Pulsar_t »

The game is apparently full of scenes that only go in R-rated films, so yes I reckon it's not proper for let's say 3-14 year olds to touch this game. GTA3 had cartoony violence, but this game depicts much more than that, including adult themes. Maybe I'm not hip enough but they keep that sort of shit on telly till after-hours so kids can't watch it.

Concerning SR4, I think I'll wait for the complete bundle. I missed all of the DLC for Sleeping Dogs so I'll just wait for the whole package.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Phades
64-bit

Post by Phades »

Ack wrote:
Pulsar_t wrote:GTA is the Scarface of videogames. It parodies the decadence, apathy and much of what plagues modern societies, but the effect is lost on the target audience, especially younger players (who shouldn't be playing this if they had better-than-walking-faeces for parents). Rockstar revels in the controversy and free advertisement. They're masters of their domain, even in their DMA days.

Anybody else plan to pick up the GATV DLC for Saint's Row IV?

If you have it on Steam the GATV DLC is free today so it'd be silly NOT to grab it.
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Played the game a lot today. Really enjoying it so far. The first heist was fun to plan out and execute and the missions have more variety than simply go to location A, kill target B, leave. It now takes a bit more skill and stealth to avoid cops, which is in my book a good as it has lead me to trying to avoid any confrontation whenever possible.
And as far as I can tell the entire map is available straight from the start.

One thing I will say now is that this game is much more "adult" than usual. The swearing and abusive language have gone up a step from GTA4, there are a couple of sex scenes and it's a bit bloodier than GTA4 as well. Also, you can sit around toking from a joint/bong and watching TV if you like.

The most graphic scene so far though has been one of torture. I won't spoil anything beyond that but it left me feeling slightly uncomfortable and it is playable so, no, adults only this time. Sorry kids.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Sload Soap wrote:so, no, adults only this time. Sorry kids.

Yes, because before everything you did was saturday morning cartoon stuff.

I guess people didn't mind the PS2 era's violence cause the graphics just weren't realistic enough. I mean the models were so ridiculous that seeing them being "tortured" caused laughter.

I only have one question for you luck guys who already own it (mine is in the mail and it just arrived in the country from abroad today according to tracking): Is driving fun again? Or will I still get thrown out of the window if I dare break the speed limit and I crush into a puppy?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

ZeroAX wrote:I guess people didn't mind the PS2 era's violence cause the graphics just weren't realistic enough. I mean the models were so ridiculous that seeing them being "tortured" caused laughter.

These current models look very fake to me, it's the same thing in most modern games, Unreal Engine+Uncanny Valley.

More importantly the characters that inhabit GTA and Postal 2 were made so unlikeable that you didn't feel bad at all for killing them. Postal 2 took it up 11 notches with the annoyingness, but I can't really think of any symphatethic or nice NPCs in GTA Vice city or San Andreas. At all. They were all shallow, materialistic unlikeable human beings and different kinds of nasty stereotypes to boot.
Jmustang1968 wrote: I was able to play whatever when I was a kid and knew the difference between game world real world.

Though the games you played as a kid had much less realistic graphic violence, sex, swearing, alcohol/drug use etc.
Even when they had equally mature/"mature" content, it looks a bit silly when taken out of context.
It's equally effective though, as long as you're immersed in the game. Atleast to me the most powerful moments like this in video games are when I read about them in the game world. The mere sight of something horrible never really has any effect on me, early 1990s graphics or not. Unless it's something that's designed to disturb, like Silent Hill visuals. I'm getting way sidetracked, but my point is that good writing and voice acting gets the message across way better than just mere "photorealistic" visuals, which hasn't much to do with the whole "should kids be allowed to play GTA or not"-debate.
AppleQueso wrote:You will never have a clear backlog again. Ever.

Get used to it.

You're talking like that's something he used to have. "never again". I seriously doubt that people besides collectors use backlog. I never heard that term before I started posting on this forum. I've never heard it being used outside of this particular forum. Why would the average gamer who buys a lot less games (and most likely spends a lot more time playing the games he/she has) than "us" need a site like that?
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

ZeroAX wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:so, no, adults only this time. Sorry kids.

Yes, because before everything you did was saturday morning cartoon stuff.

I guess people didn't mind the PS2 era's violence cause the graphics just weren't realistic enough. I mean the models were so ridiculous that seeing them being "tortured" caused laughter.

I only have one question for you luck guys who already own it (mine is in the mail and it just arrived in the country from abroad today according to tracking): Is driving fun again? Or will I still get thrown out of the window if I dare break the speed limit and I crush into a puppy?

Well, obviously not. But actually choosing which instruments to torture an innocent man with is a bit of a step up from the slightly cartoonish violence the series has had so been known for (the jet-pack missions from San Andreas anyone?).

To answer your question though, the driving is much tighter and grippy on land and sea but in the air it's pretty much the same. Cars also don't just go from fine to on fire as they did previously but crumple, bend and break accordingly from crashes.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Sload Soap wrote:To answer your question though, the driving is much tighter and grippy on land and sea but in the air it's pretty much the same. Cars also don't just go from fine to on fire as they did previously but crumple, bend and break accordingly from crashes.

That's what I wanted to hear :D. (I don't remember much about the helicopter controls in GTA IV cause by the time I unlocked the helicopters I got bored and gave up on the game.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

Is it just me or does Franklin look exactly like Tyler Perry?

Inb4 racist
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

One of the better quotes:

"I know people are rating this 10/10 after playing this for 2-3 hours, but let me give you another view

I don't like the GPS min-map, i would rather a top down like previous versions, therefore this game is 0/10
".

:lol: