Grand Theft Auto V

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by ZeroAX »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
I think it will be a mixture of both. It only hosts about 15 people, but has a lot of unique activities that are specific to the multi-player. Watching TV and have it reflect what other players are doing in the game (car chases, heists etc) is such a cool idea to me. The problem is that limit on the number of people who can play. That is why I am going to wait until the PC release. I think that some people will be able to push it to hold more... we will see. There will be a lot of Red Dead Redemption feel to it, I am sure and it may not have the staying power of DayZ... The community decides that though.

:O :O :O :O :O ONLY 15 PEOPLE???? WTF. That's NOTHING. The game world is going to be so empty. What are people paying XBOX Live golden subscriptions for?

I am getting the game for the single player, but I guess I will have to get the PC version for GTA Online, cause I'm willing to bet it will support more players (with dedicated servers and all)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

dsheinem wrote:I can't think of any game with more hype that I'm less interested in than this one. I've not enjoyed a main entry in the series since it peaked with Vice City, so my expectations are low and I don't at all trust reviews after feeling burned with San Andreas and GTA4.

To put it another way: why should I care about this series again?

I'm willing to be proven wrong but those are my feelings in a nutshell. With games like this I usually wait for the hype to burn out. I remember everyone and their dog calling GTA4 the best thing ever until a few weeks later when suddenly it sucked.

And I didn't even know there was a GTA Online until I heard someone talking about it yesterday that's how much I pay attention to GTA these days.
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

Gunstar Green wrote:I'm willing to be proven wrong but those are my feelings in a nutshell. With games like this I usually wait for the hype to burn out. I remember everyone and their dog calling GTA4 the best thing ever until a few weeks later when suddenly it sucked.

And I didn't even know there was a GTA Online until I heard someone talking about it yesterday that's how much I pay attention to GTA these days.

That's COD every year.

Leading up to release: Dude, It's going to be the best fucking game in the world.*
3 or 4 days after release: Aw man, fuck COD. They release the same game every year.

*Representation of average COD player
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

oxymoron wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:I'm willing to be proven wrong but those are my feelings in a nutshell. With games like this I usually wait for the hype to burn out. I remember everyone and their dog calling GTA4 the best thing ever until a few weeks later when suddenly it sucked.

That's COD every year.

Leading up to release: Dude, It's going to be the best fucking game in the world.*
3 or 4 days after release: Aw man, fuck COD. They release the same game every year.

*Representation of average COD player

This was literally how my brother reacted to Black Ops when it first came out.

He hyped it like crazy, 3 or 4 days later he's telling me "Black Ops sucks." I suggested a few other recently 360 games that I thought he might be interested in, and his response was something like "No, I only play Call of Duty games."

Guy's like the complete CODbro stereotype .
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS6_HYyDvpk

There's a recent show that tried to explain this swarm-like society we live in. Hype for GTA V is contagious, even if you, I and a whole lot of people choose to ignore it the effect will continue to propagate deep enough for it to become a phenomenon.

Somehow I don't think this will top RDR for me.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

Well it got a 10/10, as expected. :roll:
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

ninjainspandex wrote:Wow I never heard anyone ever say they were dissapointed with GTA San Andreas before, what exactly didn't you like?

You haven't? Have you played San Andreas? The whole player maintenance crap in that game sucks. Constantly having to exercise and deal with your girlfriend and whatnot totally broke that game. And they did a lot of that in GTA4 too, although I didn't find it quite as annoying, it still was annoying.

Roman: "Hey Niko, want to play darts?"
Me: "No, go to hell."
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Stark wrote:You haven't? Have you played San Andreas? The whole player maintenance crap in that game sucks. Constantly having to exercise and deal with your girlfriend and whatnot totally broke that game. And they did a lot of that in GTA4 too, although I didn't find it quite as annoying, it still was annoying.

Roman: "Hey Niko, want to play darts?"
Me: "No, go to hell."

This brings up a great point about game design that a lot of people don't really notice when it isn't there. Games usually have a natural flow to them. They tend to introduce new game mechanics, characters, plot and activities in a seemingly natural and meaningful way.

Zelda is a great example of how this is implemented. Every dungeon you enter has a theme and puzzles that revolve around the weapon or item you currently get. This shows you how it can be used in future dungeons and also introduce ways to implement it into your combat repertoire.

It also introduces that side quests and other activities naturally. There are places you can explore and come upon that give you a unique mini-game, or activity a-la Wind Waker's camera quests, or the skulltatas. They were unique and interesting activities that aren't required, but when introduced, didn't stop you dead in your tracks and force you to undergo an activity that may seem cumbersome to your style of play.

I think that may be the key thing. The core mechanic of a zelda game is the same and will appeal to the same person. Other activities within the game may appeal to people with a broader interest, like taking pictures, doing skill-based survival combat or dicking around hitting chickens.

I am not saying Zelda is perfect by any means, but you can see how it utilizes mandatory features and gameplay mechanics, as well as tertiary side activities and how those flow wonderfully.

With GTA San Andreas, you had the core GTA experience, but it was bogged down with turf wars and managing your gang, which felt clunky and outside of the normal GTA experience and it was required. With GTA IV, the constant phone calls may not be required, but they interrupt you and break your concentration. It sets you outside of your goals and what you want to accomplish in an attempt to bring you into an activity that may not be your thing.

It would be better to just say, "Hey you can use your phone to contact your friend and play darts, or go bowling... use it when you want to." instead of forcing you into acknowledging that feature.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

um.....in all my replays of GTA: SA I never bothered with the working out/girlfriend shit, except for the 2 girlfriends who allow you to keep your weapons when you get busted or die.

But they were optional and not something you had to do. The only other thing I remember you had to do was eat food, but if you just go in a burger shop and eat 4-5 meals together, you are set for many hours of gameplay time.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

We are finally reaching the point where 9/10 equals death threats.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/