Best soccer game for Super NES or PlayStation?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Re: Best soccer game for Super NES or PlayStation?

Post by jfrost »

I remember that being the case on medium difficulty even. Still, ISSs are good.

One early game I remember loving on the PS1 (now I won't be sure if it's just nostalgia goggles or not) is Goal Storm.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

That was the first Winning Eleven game.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

jfrost wrote:Compared to Winning Eleven/ISS, the FIFA/World Cup games suck, really.

I remember playing World Cup '98 on the PS1 and the only thing I had to do was to go straight to the goal and that would be it.

I have to agree with this. Go with Pro Evo/Winning Eleven/ISS/whatever they call it here in Canada.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

It's hard to beat the full World Cup tournament mode (from qualifiers to final) in Road to World Cup. I don't really enjoy just playing random leagues. I'm not a hardcore soccer fan, so I don't have a desire to play a particular league. I just enjoy the international teams.

I also like how the scores are realistic. On Pro level, the final scores are usually two or under, and one team might get three goals on occasion. This is with six minute halves.

Maybe I will look into ISS Deluxe for Super NES. The camera view seems so zoomed in, though. How do you know where to pass? Even on RTWC I use the "classic cam", which is zoomed out enough to see the targets of my passes, and I find the "radar" to be useless.

*edit* Wow, ISS Pro Evolution for PlayStation has the worst commentary I have ever heard for any sport in any game.
Last edited by Zing on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm not a big football (soccer) fan, but I do have a few old football games. The one I've found most enjoyable is Striker for the Super Nintendo - even as someone who's not a fan it seems pretty fluid, arcadey and fun. I much prefer it to FIFA 95 which I also own.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Zing wrote:Maybe I will look into ISS Deluxe for Super NES. The camera view seems so zoomed in, though. How do you know where to pass? Even on RTWC I use the "classic cam", which is zoomed out enough to see the targets of my passes, and I find the "radar" to be useless.

I don't know, it's never seemed to be a problem. Just play it, it does feel right. And there's the radar, of course.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

I received ISS Pro Evolution today and I can't believe how much better it plays than FIFA. From what I have seen and experienced, FIFA98 is probably the best on the PlayStation, and ISS is so much better. The speed, the controls, the accuracy… everything except the commentary feels right. I don't know what they were thinking with this commentary. The default commentary volume is so low, it's like they knew it was bad and wanted to hide it.

I deleted my FIFA saves to make room for ISS and am not looking back.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

I lost my first few ISS Pro Evolution matches quite handily even on easy difficulty. Today, I won my first match. I saved my first goal's replay. I played a few matches and had a much better handle on the controls. It took a while to get used to the power meter when shooting. It moves fairly quickly, and I kept overshooting the goal. This is quite different from FIFA's automatic aiming and full power kicks.

The goalkeepers are lightyears beyond FIFA's. They actually dive on the ball and grab it out of the air. Amazing.

I'm still struggling with my play in regards to when I should short pass, through pass, or aerial pass. Sometimes I do short passes from too far away, and aerial passes are hard to pull off due to the power meter.

I also don't quite understand how the strategies work. It seems I have can multiple enabled at one time, which doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not sure how the team can be doing a "left side" and "right side" strategy at the same time!

What a great game. It makes the $4 I paid for FIFA look like a rip off.