Retrospective: Doom

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Retrospective: Doom

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ctive-doom

For years Doom provided an unadulterated, no-holds-barred action experience across a myriad of platforms. The best game of all time? It certainly was in its heyday.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Re: Retrospective: Doom

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

I actually prefer Wolfenstein 3D. But maybe that's just me
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Probably in my top 5 favorite games of all time. I have phases where I have to go back to it at least once a year thesedays, and with the endless assortment of epic fanmade WAD's out there, the game is utterly timeless.

Alien Vendetta, Memento Mori 1-2, and Hell Reveled 1-2... I can't recommend these megawads enough. The Community Chest Packs are really good too.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Doom is by far my "favorite" game of all time, in the sense that it's one of the few games I've mastered in and out. It was also one of my first PC games. I can recall sitting on my dads lap while he played it when I was really young even.

It's the standard by which I rate all other retro-style FPS games by. It's just so well designed in every way.

Fast, frantic, fun, and most of all it's satisfying. I've never gotten up from a play through of Doom thinking the time could have been better spent.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Did you get every achievement for the XBLA releases of both games? I know I did, not that vanilla Doom is anything to boast about, haha.

I found Episode 4 of Doom to be tougher than anything in Doom 2. Mainly at the start there since you have to restart your inventory and all. But Doom 2 on UV was a cake walk to me.

I think Doom ruined Quake for me too. I don't know. I grew up loving Quake 2, but Quake just feels like a weird step sibling of Doom and Unreal, and not nearly as good as either game. Playing it just really made me want to play more Doom instead.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Xeogred wrote:I think Doom ruined Quake for me too. I don't know. I grew up loving Quake 2, but Quake just feels like a weird step sibling of Doom and Unreal, and not nearly as good as either game. Playing it just really made me want to play more Doom instead.

Playing Doom and Wolf 3D only made me appreciate Quake's advancements all the more. Might have helped that I never played Unreal back in the day.

Anyway, I think Doom's a great game, but like Weekend_Warrior I prefer Wolf 3D. Doom 2 is better than both IMO.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Xeogred wrote:Did you get every achievement for the XBLA releases of both games? I know I did, not that vanilla Doom is anything to boast about, haha.

I found Episode 4 of Doom to be tougher than anything in Doom 2. Mainly at the start there since you have to restart your inventory and all. But Doom 2 on UV was a cake walk to me.

I think Doom ruined Quake for me too. I don't know. I grew up loving Quake 2, but Quake just feels like a weird step sibling of Doom and Unreal, and not nearly as good as either game. Playing it just really made me want to play more Doom instead.

I've beaten Doom on Nightmare multiple times. I didn't like Doom 2 as much but I love Quake (but not Quake 2 oddly enough).

The original Quake just has that iconic John Romero atmosphere that I love so so much, and I feel that loosing him for Quake II just ruined it. I really liked the worlds he created for it.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Did you get every achievement for the XBLA releases of both games? I know I did, not that vanilla Doom is anything to boast about, haha.

I love Quake (but not Quake 2 oddly enough).

The original Quake just has that iconic John Romero atmosphere that I love so so much, and I feel that loosing him for Quake II just ruined it. I really liked the worlds he created for it.

That's exactly how I feel, except that I still like Quake 2 to an extent. Quake 1 really had something the rest of id's shooters from that point on were missing (that thing being Romero.)
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

BoringSupreez wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:

I love Quake (but not Quake 2 oddly enough).

That's exactly how I feel, except that I still like Quake 2 to an extent. Quake 1 really had something the rest of id's shooters from that point on were missing (that thing being Romero.)

Well I like Quake 2, but as you said, it just doesn't have Romero, and it suffers for it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Maybe I shouldn't say that about Quake 2. It's a weird case...

Quake by far has the better atmosphere and visuals, aesthetics, etc. I LOVE the neo-gothic settings and whatnot (which Unreal has in spades, if you haven't played it yet BoringSupreez. It's almost like Unreal is the real sequel to Quake, haha).

And other than that, to be honest I only really liked Quake 2 a lot when it was newer. But over the years I've tried going back and replaying it, but it just doesn't pull me in anymore. So maybe I don't like it that much anymore, lol.

I might say Quake is better thesedays, but something about it just didn't hook me in. I admittedly missed out on it growing up, but yeah. I have no problem saying I love the art design and things like that, but gameplay wise it just really left me craving for more Doom or Unreal instead. Guess I kind of spoiled myself with those two.

I can't get into Wolf3D at all.

So it's funny, I play Doom to death but can't get into its predecessor or successor. Weird.

The random word is that they might take Quake back to the neo-gothic flare with the next installment, whenever that is. I certainly hope so and hopefully Doom 4 kicks ass.

For another topic, do you guys really separate Doom and Doom 2? I tend not too, but that could be since all the big megawads out there are Doom 2 based, so you've got the extra enemies and the double barreled shotgun. I like it that way best and that's what registers as Doom in my mind.