Retrospective: Doom

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
harper
Next-Gen

Re: Retrospective: Doom

Post by harper »

I'm curious how many people have love for the 32x port. I personally really like it and prefer it over the snes version. But I'm not trying to start any debates, just curious who else likes the much hated on 32x version.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

harper wrote:I'm curious how many people have love for the 32x port. I personally really like it and prefer it over the snes version. But I'm not trying to start any debates, just curious who else likes the much hated on 32x version.

I liked it. Hated the music obviously but I think it was the most playable of the ports until Doom for the PlayStation came out.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

harper wrote:I'm curious how many people have love for the 32x port. I personally really like it and prefer it over the snes version. But I'm not trying to start any debates, just curious who else likes the much hated on 32x version.

I really like it too.
It felt more arcade-like to me, as you have to start from level one without cheats to get to the last level and ending.
The music never bothered me, but I played with it off half the time (always makes Doom more creepy), and sometimes substituted audio with my own CDs.
But I also really like genesis controllers, even preferring a single button for strafing.

The 32x is definitely an oddity, but It's still kind of neat.
I wonder what a Sega CD+32X port would have been like? They could have fit most/all the levels from the 32-bit ports on it.

I don't think there's a version of Doom that I haven't enjoyed though. I played the SNES version, which is a bit lacking, but would be praised if it was an original/exclusive SNES game. It's still fun.
I don't think I'll ever try the 3DO or Saturn versions though.
...just another lost soul...
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Pulsar_t wrote:http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920

Holy crap, that's awesome. haha