Retrospective: Doom

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Retrospective: Doom

Post by ExedExes »

Quake was a huge step up from Doom, and it was so fun.

Heck, I even played the arcade version
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Xeogred wrote:Maybe I shouldn't say that about Quake 2. It's a weird case...

Quake by far has the better atmosphere and visuals, aesthetics, etc. I LOVE the neo-gothic settings and whatnot (which Unreal has in spades, if you haven't played it yet BoringSupreez. It's almost like Unreal is the real sequel to Quake, haha).

Yes, I have played it; I just bought it within the last month or so. And the first time I played it, the first thought that occurred to me was "this seems rather like Quake."
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

I can't remember anything about Quake II; I keep mixing it up with Q3, the online-only frag-a-minute game.

My take on DOOM is biased; I played Wolf3D and jumped straight to DOOM II, so DOOM looks very... empty. The later levels are hectic as sin with Imps everywhere, but from the six-armed Nazi's with gattling guns for arms to DOOM II with 12' demons carrying anti-tank weaponry, DOOM just looks... washed-out.

Quake, though... the single player campaign is nice, but what really gives me warm fuzzy memories are all the mods. From my friends creating custom runes (your standard Vampire and Jump runes, to the Life and Death aura runes, to the magical Meta rune) and then hitting custom servers where they had all sorts of juiced up weaponry (like launching exploding barrels, powering a teammate with the lightning gun, or grappling left and right) and huge-ass teams.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Anyone play Doom 64? The best version of Doom, period imo.

It's not a port, it's a totally new game.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

AppleQueso wrote:Anyone play Doom 64? The best version of Doom, period imo.

It's not a port, it's a totally new game.

And it's a fucking awesome game. I just replayed it for last Halloween during Dave's month o' scary games.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

When I played Doom I was blown away. It's so well-designed, everything is there for a reason and no single enemy is placed at random. Doom II is even better and the Super Shotgun is simply the most fun weapon in the game.

ExedExes wrote:Quake was a huge step up from Doom, and it was so fun.

Heck, I even played the arcade version

Wow, now that's cool trivia! I want one =P

PD: I havwen't played Quake, how long is it?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

It's 4 episodes like Doom but I think it took me much longer my first way through. The levels are typically larger and more complex due to actually being in 3D, which allows for large multistory levels.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

If you guys haven't, go with Doom Absolution instead of the literal Doom 64. It's a Doom 2 WAD of the 64 game intact, but with the better controls, framerate, resolutions, etc. So... well essentially it's the same thing.

So yeah, Doom 64 to me is more like the real Doom 3. It's definitely a step up from Doom 1/2 with all new textures, enemies, weapons, etc, and yeah. It's one of the toughest Doom games for sure too, even pitted up against some megawads out there. I remember Hell Knights become like the normal Imp's midway into the game, it was so insane.

My only complaint about Doom 64 is that I wish more of the game was the space station levels, instead of just back to hell. I mean, that's Doom, but I loved the atmosphere and everything in the first handful of stages. It was really dark and awesome, but only lasted for literally like 8 stages or something before 70% of the rest of the game took place in hell.

I still like Doom 3 for what it is though, but I am stoked to hear it sounds more and more like Doom 4 will go back to its roots and be more frantic fast paced madness. I surely hope so.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I played through Doom64 EX and quit not knowing those games lacked autosaves :lol: At least the launcher has a warp option. :mrgreen:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Love Doom. Play it on my 360 quite a bit. I'd like to get Doom 64, and I was wondering what ports Doom and Doom II had. I know Doom on Snes and Saturn and 32 X. But I don't know any others.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP