Haunting Ground and other survival horrors

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
insanecow0
32-bit

Re: Haunting Ground and other survival horrors

Post by insanecow0 »

Fatal Frame, the atmosphere is perfect for a survival horror game.
jvalentine98
64-bit

Post by jvalentine98 »

Recently been playing through Parasite Eve (just left the hospital) and I think this one is still fun to play. There's something about those PS1 era graphics and music that are just perfect for a survival horror game's atmosphere. Can't be topped IMO. Static backgrounds, fixed camera angles, and PS1 pixles and art = awesome
They have escaped into the mansion where they thought it was safe, yet.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

jvalentine98 wrote:There's something about those PS1 era graphics and music that are just perfect for a survival horror game's atmosphere. Can't be topped IMO. Static backgrounds, fixed camera angles, and PS1 pixles and art = awesome

I agree completely. Even though I feel that the best survival horror game out there is on PS2 (Silent Hill 2), the PS1 survival horror library overall is just great, and to me the genre really started dying off with the onset of the sixth gen.
jvalentine98
64-bit

Post by jvalentine98 »

brunoafh wrote:
jvalentine98 wrote:There's something about those PS1 era graphics and music that are just perfect for a survival horror game's atmosphere. Can't be topped IMO. Static backgrounds, fixed camera angles, and PS1 pixles and art = awesome

I agree completely. Even though I feel that the best survival horror game out there is on PS2 (Silent Hill 2), the PS1 survival horror library overall is just great, and to me the genre really started dying off with the onset of the sixth gen.

I could write a book about the rise and fall of survival horror. The thing about the current generation systems is that HD graphics, online play and all that modern jazz don't lend themselves to an atmospheric experience. There's something to be said for less = more. Simplistic is scary.

Take the original Resident Evil. Other than the story and Capcom's graphics, there's very little that's original to that game. The verb palette was a streamlined version of the one from Uninvited, the mansion was an idea used in Uninvited, Alone in the Dark and 1995's Clock Tower (pre dated RE). But that game gave you a sense of being alone. There's no online partner running around blasting zombies for you, etc. It's a quiet, creepy game with a magnificently designed mansion that unfolds perfectly. Something like that can't be done now because studios think people want leader boards, co-op play, etc. That stuff is all good but why in every game, especially a horror game?

Edit: Silent Hill is another example. The first game is archaic by today's standards, but something about that foggy little town with the odd camera angels is somehow creepier than Silent Hill: Homecoming with HD graphics
Last edited by jvalentine98 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

jvalentine98 wrote:I could write a book about the rise and fall of survival horror. The thing about the current generation systems is that HD graphics, online play and all that modern jazz don't lend themselves to an atmospheric experience. There's something to be said for less = more. Simplistic is scary.

I can agree about stuff like online/leaderboards/whatever, but HD graphics in no way hinder atmosphere. Atmosphere's all about art direction and music after all, how can HD possibly hurt that?
jvalentine98
64-bit

Post by jvalentine98 »

AppleQueso wrote:
jvalentine98 wrote:I could write a book about the rise and fall of survival horror. The thing about the current generation systems is that HD graphics, online play and all that modern jazz don't lend themselves to an atmospheric experience. There's something to be said for less = more. Simplistic is scary.

I can agree about stuff like online/leaderboards/whatever, but HD graphics in no way hinder atmosphere. Atmosphere's all about art direction and music after all, how can HD possibly hurt that?

Well, I'm just speaking for myself and my experience, but to me, what I don't see with my eyes is creepy. When everything's fleshed out and beautifully detailed, it's not as creepy to me.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

You're still talking more art direction than graphics themselves.

Heavy use of shadow, stuff like cool film grain filters, etc can all be utilized excellently in HD.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

AppleQueso wrote:I can agree about stuff like online/leaderboards/whatever, but HD graphics in no way hinder atmosphere. Atmosphere's all about art direction and music after all, how can HD possibly hurt that?

The grit man, the grit.

I know what you mean though, I've seen screens of Silent Hill 2 running in high res on PC and it looks gorgeous. You have to admit that there's just something special about how Capcom (and others) used those pre-renders in the RE PS1 games to create such a unique feel though.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

brunoafh wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I can agree about stuff like online/leaderboards/whatever, but HD graphics in no way hinder atmosphere. Atmosphere's all about art direction and music after all, how can HD possibly hurt that?

The grit man, the grit.

But you can have HD grit! More grit than ever before!

I know what you mean though, I've seen screens of Silent Hill 2 running in high res on PC and it looks gorgeous. You have to admit that there's just something special about how Capcom (and others) used those pre-renders in the RE PS1 games to create such a unique feel though.

It does look gorgeous, 3 does too. (hell, 3 in HD looks better than Homecoming, crazily enough). I'm just saying it's all about the art direction used, not necessarily the fact that it's utilizing greater graphical power.

And yes, Capcom did great with the ps1 REs.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Bah! To hell with your new-fangled HD grit!