How about some love for Forsaken 64?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

How about some love for Forsaken 64?

Post by Curlypaul »

Bought this of the back of it being in this list. I'd never heard of it and the last time I played a 6axis FPS (1999ish) I really was terrible at it, but I figured I'd give it a go since its cheap and came with such a strong recommendation.

Well I've been playing for the last hour or so, and I am impressed. The graphics and sound are cool and most importantly the controls are slick. It took about 10 mins to get used to moving around and it quickly felt pretty natural.

Its kind of disorientating moving around as there isnt really a clear idea of which way is up, but I kind of like that in a funny way. A map would have been nice though.
MrPopo

Re: How about some love for Forsaken 64?

Post by MrPopo »

The main problem I have with Forsaken 64 is that the way the controls are set up you don't get quite the amount of flight control you want. When you want to strafe you can't go forward or backwards. When I play Descent on the PC I have a Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 that I use, and it has four buttons on the base in a cross alignment that I use for strafe. There are two buttons on the top I use for forward and back, a third for sub weapon, and the trigger is primary weapon. This way I get full movement control (I use the hat for prev/next weapon/sub weapon).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Yeah thats a good point, and with that stick it seems like you can do most things simultaneously, with perhaps the exception of moving forwards and backwards and firing the secondary weapon?

I never looked at the other control set ups are available in Forsaken, I'll have a look tonight see if any of them are workable.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

Post by baphomet_irl »

I remember the graphics on the PC version of this being pretty much the best at the time
'In the end it didn't work out. It was tough, but those were great days and I've never met anybody who regretted buying a Dreamcast.'
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

baphomet_irl wrote:I remember the graphics on the PC version of this being pretty much the best at the time

The dynamic coloured lighting was relatively advanced, but I swear that game had the lowest resolution textures possible for the time. The polygon count was also extremely low. It's as if Forsaken was designed to be playable on low end Direct3D hardware, which is probably why it was included with so many graphics cards. We had already been playing Quake 2 with a Voodoo 2 for almost a year when Forsaken hit. Forsaken looked bland and barren in comparison.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Still the best 6dof shooter on the console. We have fun playing it every once and a while, but it is confusing to new players and I really hate the auto level and never could figure out how to turn it off
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Post by s1mplehumar »

Not a bad game. I always thought the chick on the cover looked like Kate Winslet.
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
baphomet_irl
128-bit

Post by baphomet_irl »

Zing wrote:
baphomet_irl wrote:I remember the graphics on the PC version of this being pretty much the best at the time

The dynamic coloured lighting was relatively advanced, but I swear that game had the lowest resolution textures possible for the time. The polygon count was also extremely low. It's as if Forsaken was designed to be playable on low end Direct3D hardware, which is probably why it was included with so many graphics cards. We had already been playing Quake 2 with a Voodoo 2 for almost a year when Forsaken hit. Forsaken looked bland and barren in comparison.

yeah no I think you're right and I was absolutely playing GL Quake and Quake II (on my Voodoo 2 12MB ;p) at the time, but yeah in retrospect it was just the coloured lighing that was the 'cool thing'...
'In the end it didn't work out. It was tough, but those were great days and I've never met anybody who regretted buying a Dreamcast.'