Importance of Playing the Original Half-Life

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
racketboy
Site Admin

Importance of Playing the Original Half-Life

Post by racketboy »

Since I've only dabbled in the Half-Life series, but want to explore it more, is it still rather important to the story and such to play the original Half-Life?

How does the storyline flow between HL1, HL2 and the HL2 episodes?
turbolegs
24-bit

Re: Importance of Playing the Original Half-Life

Post by turbolegs »

I wouldn't say it was essential to play the first game, HL2 and its episodes are quite enjoyable without any background info whatsoever. The Half Life story is fairly weak and doesnt stray too far from the Doom formula until HL2. I would however venture that the first game is fantastic and deserves to be played if you want to get the most out of the franchise. Alternatively, you could wait for Black Mesa Source to be released, that game looks stunning.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I haven't played any of the others, but Half Life is awesome. Play it. It's absolutely more a shooter than a story telling vehicle, but that's the way it should be.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Yeah, Half Life isn't essential to the story, but damn is it a fun game. So you should definitely play it at some point.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

Nope not essential, but it's a great game. HL2 is still one of the best fps games on modern consoles and I think HL is nearly as good. It's well worth playing the main game and both expansions. Even though Blue Shift is kinda lame, their try at parallel story telling is interesting.
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Post by fvgazi »

Half-Life 1 has so much story to tell without laying it all out for you. It might be interesting to play 2 and all the episodes first then go back. You might enjoy more of what is going on in HL1 if you play it backwards.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

This is a tough one I think. The scripted events and other gameplay devices were really well done and new and inventive at the time. Now it may just seem lame or overdone. As far as story, they seem pretty separate except for the 'man in black.'
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

fvgazi wrote:Half-Life 1 has so much story to tell without laying it all out for you. It might be interesting to play 2 and all the episodes first then go back. You might enjoy more of what is going on in HL1 if you play it backwards.

But I wouldn't miss any rewarding background info/inside jokes etc by starting with 2?
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

racketboy wrote:
fvgazi wrote:Half-Life 1 has so much story to tell without laying it all out for you. It might be interesting to play 2 and all the episodes first then go back. You might enjoy more of what is going on in HL1 if you play it backwards.

But I wouldn't miss any rewarding background info/inside jokes etc by starting with 2?

You would. You'd have little idea who Barney was if you didn't play Blue Shift, and having the Vorts as allies would be much less a novelty if you couldn't remember killing them left and right. HL1 is cheap, just go ahead and buy it.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

You really wouldn't miss much if you're at all familiar with Half-Life games. Most of what I recall being referenced are simple things...like the crowbar, or headcrabs, which hardly require playing through the game to be familiar with.