Best NFL game?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Razzmatazz
64-bit

Best NFL game?

Post by Razzmatazz »

OK. So I am a complete noob with regards to American Football, I'm a Brit and I have had a vague interest in the sport for a while but have always shied away from the Madden series as I haven't seen any MUST HAVE reviews for it in recent years. Ideally I would purchase a Rugby game but they just don't seem to exist for some strange reason or are awful to play, whereas I know there are plenty of NFL games released over the years. I've done a little research and it seems the 2K series were the best, but I wanted an opinion from the forum as to what game is the best for someone learning the rules still.

Anyone who has played NFL Street also, as I thoroughly enjoy the NBA Street series whilst not having an interest in basketball!

Thanks.
Currently playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Check out my album reviews at the home of rap reviews, http://www.rapreviews.com (NEW SITE COMING 2015)
Breetai
Next-Gen

Re: Best NFL game?

Post by Breetai »

I like John Madden Football '93 on the Genesis/Mega Drive (also on SNES).
Joe Montana Sports Talk Football '93 on the Genesis is also fun.
RXRob
16-bit

Post by RXRob »

Hi I'm a fellow British NFL fan, although I'm well schooled in the rules of the game.

I can recommend the NFL Street series. I've played them all (1+2 on Gamecube, 3 on PS2). My favourite was the first, number 2 was more of the same with a couple of neat new features, number 3 never really grabbed my attention that well although that was possibly down to a lack of any worthwhile new features.

In terms of a straight NFL game, I'm afraid to say that I've never strayed far from the Madden series. Like a lot of sports game it can be very overwhelming for a new player (I'm looking at you Pro Evo)
Currently playing: Skies of Arcadia, Mass Effect 2, Backbreaker

Consoles Owned: XBox 360, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, N64DD, PSone, XBox, Game Boy Advance SP, Gameboy Pocket, Game Gear.
Razzmatazz
64-bit

Post by Razzmatazz »

RXRob wrote:Hi I'm a fellow British NFL fan, although I'm well schooled in the rules of the game.

I can recommend the NFL Street series. I've played them all (1+2 on Gamecube, 3 on PS2). My favourite was the first, number 2 was more of the same with a couple of neat new features, number 3 never really grabbed my attention that well although that was possibly down to a lack of any worthwhile new features.

In terms of a straight NFL game, I'm afraid to say that I've never strayed far from the Madden series. Like a lot of sports game it can be very overwhelming for a new player (I'm looking at you Pro Evo)

Thanks, I'll have to check out one of the street titles when I pop down to Gamestation tomorrow, as far as Madden goes is it just best to get the latest title? I've seen Madden 11 and it's at a decent price, although 10 has had better reviews. Kinda understand your Pro Evo dig lol, but I'm a big football/soccer fan and that's probably my favourite series until this year where I feel FIFA has won me over.
Currently playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Check out my album reviews at the home of rap reviews, http://www.rapreviews.com (NEW SITE COMING 2015)
Harvey
24-bit

Post by Harvey »

I think if I were not familiar with football, the newer Madden games would intimidate me. As a kid who didn't know much about football, even Madden '94 was beyond my understanding. Of course you will probably be able to pick up an older Madden game and get its strategy with no problem since you don't seem to be a kid.

I was terrible at football video games until I started playing football and understanding the game a little more. I think a good introduction would be one of the older Madden games for SNES or Genesis, which would have simpler plays and strategy. I'm not sure which is best since I went from Madden '94 to '07 without owning one (although I liked both of those). I've never played NFL Street so I can't comment.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

Madden 9 was great, also Tecmobowl 8)
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
RXRob
16-bit

Post by RXRob »

I'm currently on Madden 09 due my policy on buying sports titles (never buy the latest annual release, get at least one year and enjoy the minimal differences for less a few quid. I'm currently on Madden 09, Pro Evo 09, Tiger Woods 09 and Rugby 08)

You hinted at getting a good rugby game earlier, and EA's Rugby 08 is easily the best one currently around. I gather that there'll be a new one this year as it's a World Cup year so I might finally be able to play a decent online rugby game during the close season :)
Currently playing: Skies of Arcadia, Mass Effect 2, Backbreaker

Consoles Owned: XBox 360, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, N64DD, PSone, XBox, Game Boy Advance SP, Gameboy Pocket, Game Gear.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Tecmobowl (NES) or on of the sequels would be good. It's both a fun and simple game. Not complex at all.
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

The best NFL game is always the current Madden game.

I know that statement may generate alot of heat, but it's how I feel. Playing earlier incarnations just makes me want to play the newest one, year after year. Do I actually buy every new release? Hell no, but a friend or family member always does, and the game is more fun one on one anyways.

But for many years my camp has agreed that that NCAA football is the better game, so I recommend that over Madden any day.