RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

by Xeogred Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:19 pm

I didn't even think of that, haha. Seriously think I paid like... maybe $3. Can you even get a refund for stuff you buy on sales? Ultimately I'm not too concerned about it though.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Hey $3 is $3 :lol:

So I wanted to update y'all and say that I am going through Ghosts again to see if it really warrants the 8th place slot. In a twist I'm going through it on the Wii U.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm

According to my HLTB, I haven't played a Call of Duty since June 22, 2016. But tonight I plan to play Modern Warfare 2. Since MW2 was directed by Jason West, I expect it shall at least be decent. I think this one is the CoD with that controversial airport shootout. Maybe I'll have Postal 2 flashbacks.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Yeah, MW2 is the one with that scene. Henceforth the rest of them seem to have some kind of "Graphic Warning" prompt at the start of the games. Trying to be edgy.

casterofdreams wrote:5) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Finish the fight. Wait. This isn't Halo 3. Regardless, this concluded the story that started with the game above. This threw you into the fray from the first mission onward. Constant struggle to push back the enemy. Hit close to home because of the siege in New York City.

And I myself just wrapped up MW3 today. It has an interesting nod to the airport shootout scene. Other than that though, yeah it's Infinity Ward CoD, Michael Bay action... and Michael Bay action is more fun to play than watch! I was really digging the big city levels in this one like castle mentioned, some levels in New York, London, and Paris I think... it gave me a lot of Crysis 2 vibes in a cool way. Except there was no annoying aliens here to ruin it. Also like castle said, the game is pretty over the top from the start and all the way through. I think it was longer than MW2.

Might be better than Ghosts. I can only name Soap and Price, because they're the classic cool characters from MW1, but yeah. Not much else to say about the story. I think Ghosts humanized the characters better and had some cool space/sci-fi parts, but overall... the intense city action in MW3 was really cool and visually it holds up pretty damn well for the 360.

I started up Black Ops earlier today too and it's definitely different. The addition of gore and dismemberment is very odd, reminds me of Solider of Fortune. I guess it's something that makes it different from the Infinity Ward stuff. I wasn't expecting the 1960's and so far, I don't think I'm liking the initial impression. Something about it just feels like a downgrade from the Infinity Ward stuff. I'll keep playing and see how it goes.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Xeogred wrote:Something about it just feels like a downgrade from the Infinity Ward stuff. I'll keep playing and see how it goes.

I thought Black Ops was a downgrade. Black Ops attempts to take Call of Duty into edgier darker territory, but only partially succeeds. Amping up the cussing, the gore, and the ethically questionable objectives only goes so far when crippled by inadequate writing and brutally linear design. Black Ops is a tremendously scripted corridor shooter, leaving the player zero alternate agency as they shoot through what might as well be a movie. Black Ops does at least uphold the series' tradition of great graphics and tightly designed shooting mechanics. Yet it still manages to annoy with occasionally badly balanced mission designs. Black Ops is simply a very pretty, very dumbed down, summer popcorn movie of an FPS. As such, this CoD is best played through quickly, with your brain shut off, and then immediately forgotten about. You were never here, this never happened, and it's stricken from your service record.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Interesting. Doesn't sound promising from you experience, but yeah I'm very curious about how it differs. I'm glad Advanced Warfare is Sledgehammer though and sounds unique compared to both the Infinity Ward and Trearch stuff.

And yeah, there was like an immediate F-bomb that cracked me up and extra cussing that seems pretty forced. The reason the 1960's is a turn off is because I like the high grade tech in the Modern Warfare/Ghosts games, from what I've played so far. But maybe Black Ops jumps forward at some point... or not and if it doesn't that will probably already dock some points off for me. lol

I forgot to mention, I counted 6, SIX, door breach slow-mo segments in MW3. :lol:
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 pm

When looking at the entire franchise as a whole I realize that a few of these games are victims of the other games that surrounds its release.

I thought Black Ops was all right. Nothing insane by any means but it was flanked by the release of Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3. When you take a look at the game that came before and after, it doesn't hold up particularly well. Not to say that it's a bad game but it's not as strong as one initially expects. As I mentioned I still enjoyed the story and characters. I realize it might not have been for everyone however.

The same can be said for Ghosts. I thought Black Ops 2 was a great game and improved quite a bit over its predecessor. It introduced branching storylines with different outcomes depending on how you play the campaign. I like the hop between two points in time. I thought that mechanic was handled well. I also enjoy the fact that you were able to choose your load out before you head on to the next mission. The release after Ghosts, Advanced Warfare, was an amazing and refreshing game. The whole movement system that the game introduced was great and refreshing. (Granted the series got carried away with this movement system and people wanted "boots on the ground" again in the form of WWII). I loved all the tech stuff included as well.

Regardless this just made Ghosts seemed tired in it's design.

I replayed and finished Ghosts on the Wii U. I'm still comfortable keeping it last in my ranks I mentioned earlier. It had some cool segments like the shoot out under water and in space (assuming a precursor to Infinite Warfare?) But we've seen the stuff before. As a matter fact we saw it in the last three Infinity Ward games. Not bad but not inspiring.

One thing I will say: at least the guys who make this game know how to make a good shooter mechanics wise. Everything just feels tight and on point. From Modern Warfare 1 to Advanced Warfare it all felt great to shoot people. Wait. That didn't sound right :shock:

You all know what I mean. I hope :lol:

Xeogred: nothing beats the breach from MW2 in the Gulag level. That shit was awesome!
Last edited by casterofdreams on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 am

Played MW2 tonight, made it to [ACT07] The Hornet's Nest. It's "OK" but so far not as good as MW1. MW2 has some significant balancing issues.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 am

Due to the past few posts, just bought Wii Modern Warefare 3. I know the graphics are a down grade and I think some features missing? That stated, I do like the instant aim of the Wiimote for all the Wii FPS games.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:55 pm

I played through Wolfenstein 2 on an RX480 and i5-6600k, a few glitches and probably 5-6 crashes over the course of a 12 hour playthrough or so.

The game itself is awesome, the stealth and hatchet throw mechanic makes for better gameplay than NO in my book, and the weapons are all straightforward but different enough to be interesting. The story had some issues in the first couple of missions* but by the end of the first hour or two it hits its stride and has some fantastic (if somewhat over-the-top) moments.

I do think it could have done with some big bosses though.

*Slight spoilers...
I mean, I love Sigurn, but why was she right in the thick of the action on the first mission? Frau Engle doesn't seem like the type to let her "fat, bumbling daughter" tag along for anything important.

Also, I know there were some resistance fighters around, but it seemed like the Nazis had a pretty crazy amount of forces in the irradiated ruins of New York, not to mention a huge, hostile occupation force 20 years after the war ended. It seemed like the war had just ended a month ago in some parts.

BUT I do have to say, the courtroom scene and the end (From the point pregnant Anya went all Rambo to the bone-crunching finale) were absolute highlights for me and are some of the best moments I've seen in a shooter since Halo 1.
Return to Other Genres