What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

Post by Gunstar Green »

Project Warlock is pretty cool. One of the most impressive things about it is it was developed by a teenager.

I'll be getting DUSK soon, I played through Quake 1 and its mission packs recently and I've been on a retro FPS kick thanks to the Doom anniversary.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ack: I think Episode 2 and 3 blow the first out of the water in terms of levels. It only gets better.

I don't recall Quake having a map feature, unless it was some weird polygonal overlay that wasn't easy to read because of three dimensions... I wasn't surprised Dusk doesn't have a map either.

Gunstar: I think Dusk was designed by a younger person as well. He apparently grew up like a decade behind the trends because the PC's he grew up with were really dated. This game was entirely designed by this one kid, outside of the music and probably some marketing people in the credits. I found this awesome interview with him here:
https://www.destructoid.com/talking-dus ... 6110.phtml

Quick little video interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcaEH0wQLc

Safe to say I think that Episode 4 or a sequel is in the bag since it exploded on Steam, heh.

I beat Dusk myself last night. I played with pixelization on the default setting for the cool retro feel. Now I've turned it off and enabled Bloom, so it looks like I'm playing through a newer updated source engine now haha. The Endless mode is pretty cool and I went back to find the two secret levels I missed, Episode 2's secret level was SUPER worth it and one of the best. I played on the middle third difficulty myself, but I'm already tempted to run through this thing again on the higher settings. The enemies move faster as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtdQsv4LbU4

Top favorite level might be E2M7.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I just beat the Escher Lab, E2M5, and I am super impressed by it! The level changes in ways that will screw with you, it's spectacular. I also found the secret level for Episode 2, and I agree with Xeogred, it's amazing.

So far, Episode 1 reminded me a lot of Blood and Redneck Rampage. Episode 2 is Quake. Anybody who loves a nice mid-90s FPS owes it to themselves to check Dusk out.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I've decided this is going to be my first game of 2019.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Now that I'm through with Dusk, I figured I'd pick up something a little older, Project: Snowblind. It's a spiritual sequel to the original run of Deus Ex games, and it places less emphasis on the big world and more on relatively streamlined levels with a little variance in how I can proceed through things...so far. I'm only about a third of the way through. That said, it was also $0.89 in the Winter Steam Sale, so you know what? I'm happy with what I paid for another FPS to run through.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Most of the way through episode 2 of Dusk and I don't have much to say, it's just really great. It's like the Shovel Knight of FPS in that it takes the best parts of old-school gameplay and aggregates them into something new and arguably better than their origins.

One thing that's a little bizarre though is I can't play it for extended periods of time. I've never really suffered from motion sickness in an FPS before but Dusk hits me with it hard for some reason. I've mucked around with the graphics settings and FOV and it's a little better but it still wears on me after a half hour or so. I knock out about two levels before I have to put it down for a while.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You know what, I'm having the same problem with you. I definitely exacerbated it with chugging the beers after the first boss to regain my armor.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Hmm, that's strange. I did think the FOV was very weird at first and I usually favor 90 myself, but it looked awful here. Think I settled on 110 or something. I was able to play in big chunks, but I played it fairly casually and spent a week beating it. Did you mess with the pixelization settings?

I took Quake 1 a bit slowly when I played that in 2016, though some of that was due to how tough that game is.

I'm going to get back to Dusk soon on difficulty 4.

Also please don't speak of Project Snowblind and Deus Ex in the same sentence! ... yeah yeah I know there was once a time a real official connection between the two, but Project Snowblind is terrible. The consolized port and control settings is laughable too. :roll:
Ack

Post by Ack »

I was gonna try to give Snowblind a fair shake before I pass judgement! That said, yeah, it's obviously a console game. I had to modify the controls and install a widescreen fix to get it to work from the get go. I still aim to get through it and then see how I feel.

For Dusk, I turned off the pixelation and had no issues after that. If you haven't adjusted that setting, I highly recommend trying it. As much as I like the pixelation idea, it didn't work for me in practice.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Started playing half way through the second episode of Dusk today and thankfully the motion sickness demon decided not to attack so I managed to finish the rest of the game. I do think turning off the pixelation is what helped for whatever reason. Great stuff, that last episode was really something.