What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

Post by noiseredux »

I loved Bioshock Infinite.

COD: Advanced Warfare was great. WWII looks good but I might be burning out on COD lately.

The Prey demo was awesome. Wanna play the full game.

Am I caught up in this thread?
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I think Far Cry and Metro. Then I think you're good :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I already have Call of Duty WW2. Actually, I've got three of them.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

What's the deal with Modern Warfare 3? Was it terrible? This is the one I never hear about haha. Same with World at War, but I'm not interested in that one.

A streamer I watch was actually playing some MW2 last night and it was a trip down memory lane. Still looks fun, though it was a bit more chaotic than I prefer compared to MW1.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

MW3 was even more chaotic than two. I thought it was still an enjoyable ride. And I felt pretty good to conclude the story.

It's odd, but as a New Yorker the very first level felt very chaotic. The very first mission when they throw you in is a siege of New York City, is something I will always remember.

I went through all COD this year on the Xbox 360 from MW1 to Advanced Warfare. It's great to see how the series evolved and the ideas of two studios evolve through each game.

Edit: I've got an example: in MW1 and 2 you had a tutorial type stage where your first learn about aiming down sites, snap to target and stuff like that followed by a test course made from plywood and stuff. MW3 however, did away with that by throwing you into the fray off the bat.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'd be curious to see how you'd rank them? It's funny but for whatever reason I had that Infinity Ward loyalty thing going on with CoD4 and MW2, so myself and some of my friends never touched Black Ops. But I always heard good things and they looked like they injected a little more sci-fi into them.

It's fun to pick these games up for like $10 now haha. I might go back and start with MW3, then work my way up from there.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Hmm.

Well if I had to rank them, this is what it would look like (campaign for the most part):

1) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - As the last game to come out in the 7th generation of consoles that included a single player game, this would be my top choice. This game is the turning point where people started to disdain the game for a lack of "boots on the ground" but I feel the whole movement breathed fresh air into the franchise especially after Ghosts. It seemed also that this game had the best implementation of this new movement system based on guys like Jeff over at Giant Bomb. This was made by some of the staff that made Dead Space so you have better sound design and a HUD integrated into the world. I love the future tech that is in this game. I believe this was the first game where you played as one guy the entire time through the campaign. I rank this as number one because it was a well made game with a decent story and an added bonus of believable Bots for multiplayer if you ever decide to play offline/sans Live Gold.

2) Call of Duty: Black Ops II - This game jumped back and forth between two points in time. Choices you made in the game can have a different outcome so you can have two different single player experiences and such. I like the future tech stuff in here as well. It's a continuation from the first Black Ops so you have a lot of the same characters in here despite time differences. One thing I like is the ability to choose a load-out before every mission so you can take what you like regardless the situation. I rank this as number two because it was a well made game with a great story and a single player experience that can be different. Just as above, an added bonus of believable Bots for multiplayer if you ever decide to play offline/sans Live Gold.

3) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Yes. I hold this above the first Modern Warfare, Why? Because it had a fun ass campaign. They went for more set pieces but a lot of it was memorable for me and I enjoyed it. This was a continuation of the first Modern Warfare game. It was pretty varied with some stealth sequences, defend and support situations, and some vehicle segments. This was the game with that No Russian mission that was highly controversial back in the day. An added bonus was the Special Ops missions which were self contained missions that can be completed either by yourself or with a friend.

4) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - The game that started it all. When I first played this, my first COD game I've played, I was blown away. Memorable missions, characters, and set pieces. It was a fun ride from beginning to end. Like the first Mass Effect, I think this could have been a self contained story with its ending but I'm happy they continued the series overall.

5) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Finish the fight. Wait. This isn't Halo 3. Regardless, this concluded the story that started with the game above. This threw you into the fray from the first mission onward. Constant struggle to push back the enemy. Hit close to home because of the siege in New York City.

6) Call of Duty: Black Ops - I enjoyed this game because of the story. The weapons, despite being earlier in "history" had some experimental weaponry like the crossbow with explosive bolts. Characters were memorable and the story was pretty good, conspiracy like, which fit the times so to speak. As an added bonus, this was the first time Bots were introduced to multiplayer for offline play.

7) Call of Duty: World at War - Understand, these are all great games. This ranked lower than the rest because I've visited this game after I've played some of the future titles like the Modern Warfare series and have a preference for a more modern setting. In fact, the first time I've played this was this year with the rest of the series as part of a little marathon. It was considered the last World War II game until the other day with the release of the new COD.

8. Call of Duty: Ghosts - The campaign was a rehashing of familiar concepts, and had general lack of innovation. Regardless it was still entertaining but the issue was that it followed Black Ops 2 with the campaign changes it introduced. I enjoyed the concept of the Dog Riley, and the setting which reminded me of a post apocalyptic setting. I still recommend the game however. Just curb your expectations and don't think it'll be like a Modern Warfare 2 or something similar. An added bonus of believable Bots for multiplayer was included if you ever decide to play offline/sans Live Gold.

Well there you go. Wow that's a lot :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

You honestly are getting my hyped for some old CoD. :)

So basically... if I actually liked Ghosts' campaign a fair bit, it sounds like I'm in for a treat with the other superior choices.

I actually don't have much to say about CoD4's campaign. Gets a lot of love, but I only remember it being okay. MW2 I barely remember outside of the infamous No Russian mission. So I'm not sure which I liked more. Feel a little indifferent about them when I think back.

casterofdreams wrote:1) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - ... I believe this was the first game where you played as one guy the entire time through the campaign.

Who knew such a simple concept would be so great! That's good to hear. And yeah I know Jeff showers Advanced Warfare with praise all the time haha, now I know why. It sounds very awesome and like Sledgehammer made something more unique.

Black Ops 2 sounds pretty cool too. I hear Black Ops 3 has some cool weird moments too that you don't expect.

Why is Black Ops 3 going for $41 new on Amazon??? Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare are looking like $20. The prices for CoD on Steam have always been ridiculous too. Maybe I should just try and search for them used locally.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:You honestly are getting my hyped for some old CoD.

When I think about old CoD, I think of stuff like this:

But yeah, I get that CoD invented a new saga for itself after Modern Warfare.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Haha, don't get me wrong, CoD will never be favorite material for me. But for like $10-15 a pop for some blockbuster popcorn fun, it's cool.

I like how 1-3 translates to 7 games. :lol:

I guess I'm in the minority about this but I thought CoD2 was hot dooky, especially at the time of release on the 360. I thought it seriously looked and played horribly. I have no idea what I was comparing it to at the time though. Perfect Dark Zero was beyond bad haha. Halo 3 wasn't out for awhile, but I loved Halo, Halo 2, and other FPS's from this era before the 360 came around, and I just remember hating CoD2 for some reason. That's the only pre-CoD4 one I played.

I enjoyed the old Medal of Honor games though. I played the original on PSX, then Frontlines, and Allied Assault on PC was my favorite.