RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

by Hobie-wan Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 am

I'm nearly done with this fucking POS Deus Excrement. I got the 'Merge' ending Friday night and after suffering through it all I plan on getting the other endings so that when I say I hate this game I can say with authority that yes I have played it and it all sucks.
(-_-)
64-bit

by (-_-) Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:18 am

dsheinem wrote:I know they aren't the most popular genre on the forums, but a few of us play FPSs old and new quite often - and play them primarily for the single player campaign. So, what single player campaign are you playing through?

As for me...

In anticipation of Killzone 3 later this month, I am currently replaying the campaign for Killzone 1 and Killzone 2 (previously I got "stuck" in one, but loved playing through two). I think that these are some of the best looking games from each respective gen, though KZ1's gameplay is lacking in many ways. KZ2 is ace. Anyway, I have a few other games in the genre I hope to get to soon...some I have shamefully never played!

How about you? What's are you fragging?

Already beat 2 quite a few times and I just started playing 1 again in anticipation of Killzone 3 as well. I forgot how much I liked the first one. I kind of wish I could play as different characters in 2 though. Also started up Deus Ex because Human Revolution looks incredible and the trailers alone got me interested in the entire story of the series.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:I'm nearly done with this fucking POS Deus Excrement. I got the 'Merge' ending Friday night and after suffering through it all I plan on getting the other endings so that when I say I hate this game I can say with authority that yes I have played it and it all sucks.

The Illuminati ending is a pain to get; load up your sabot rounds for your assaut shotty.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

by wip3outguy7 Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Gah, I still need to finish Deus. I sit down with it about once a year with the intention of seeing it through at least once but other things come up and I have to give up on it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 pm

(-_-) wrote:
dsheinem wrote:In anticipation of Killzone 3 later this month, I am currently replaying the campaign for Killzone 1 and Killzone 2 (previously I got "stuck" in one, but loved playing through two). I think that these are some of the best looking games from each respective gen, though KZ1's gameplay is lacking in many ways. KZ2 is ace.

Already beat 2 quite a few times and I just started playing 1 again in anticipation of Killzone 3 as well. I forgot how much I liked the first one. I kind of wish I could play as different characters in 2 though. Also started up Deus Ex because Human Revolution looks incredible and the trailers alone got me interested in the entire story of the series.

Yeah, I finished up KZ1 last night for the first time and then immediately restarted the first mission of KZ2 with the intent of playing through the whole thing for the first time in a couple of years. Funnily enough, I found it took a bit to to adapt to the more advanced (and better) control scheme following my playthrough of 1. I found KZ1 became much more fun when I started playing with Rico instead of Templar. The other two styles never appealed to me much, but I appreciated the fact that they were there - it's a great approach to a single player FPS campaign that I wish more games would use.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:I'm nearly done with this fucking POS Deus Excrement.

Haven't heard that one before.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:58 am

Hobie-wan wrote:I'm nearly done with this fucking POS Deus Excrement. I got the 'Merge' ending Friday night and after suffering through it all I plan on getting the other endings so that when I say I hate this game I can say with authority that yes I have played it and it all sucks.

Oh poor Hobie-wan, what has Mr. Popo done to you? Deus Ex is currently your second most played game on Steam (next to Borderlands) and you don't even like it?! Oh dude, you need to just stop playing it if it's not fun for you. You've given it a fair shot.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 am

Wow, I've known people who didn't care for Deus Ex - but I've never known anyone to completely hate it. Amazing.

It's one of the only FPSs that I will quite willingly play over and over again. And have played over and over again.

Deus Ex 2, on the other hand...
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:12 am

MrPopo wrote:It's worse, though, because with the other UT games it was just "look, here's a tournament, shoot each other" while this one is "hey, there's a tournament, also there's some kind of thing going on in the game universe that essentially boils down to shooting each other, but this time it MATTERS".

As a huge fighting game fan, this "tournament that matters for reasons" thing was too familiar for me to think ill of it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:43 am

the7k wrote:Wow, I've known people who didn't care for Deus Ex - but I've never known anyone to completely hate it. Amazing.

It's one of the only FPSs that I will quite willingly play over and over again. And have played over and over again.

Deus Ex 2, on the other hand...

Same here.

I think the IW hate is a bit overblown... I mean compared to other games out there I don't think it was that bad at all, compared to the original Deus Ex though yeah it's a huge step down but hey, what can you really compare to Deus Ex anyways? lol (alright SS2 comes to mind!)

That said yeah I've probably played the original 10 times through and IW only a few times back when it was newer. I'd love to go through it again here now, but I've heard it's an insane pain in the ass to get running correctly in widescreen, so I'll only bother when I'm ready for that junk.
Return to Other Genres