What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

Post by Xeogred »

noiseredux wrote:Ghosts is one I've been meaning to play since it came out. And I found a copy at a yard sale for a buck over the summer, so I'm good to go.

I'd love to hear you thoughts. I beat it last year and still think of it fondly. However unlike some people (and in this thread), I dropped out of CoD after CoD4 and MW2. So there was like a decade gap there so... I kind of had an innocent approach to it? I don't know. Was pleasantly surprised by Ghosts all around. It's not like this series is even close to new Doom's level or Half-Life 2, and all the immersive style games I love, but yeah. I go in expecting a solid 7/10 with CoD and picking them up for like $10 thesedays isn't too bad. Solid popcon fun.

I wonder if any CoD is even as good as Titanfall 2's campaign. Probably not. That game was off the damn chain and a huge surprise, but I still liked new Doom a lot more.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Few more missions into Black Ops tonight...

I am so happy to hear that Black Ops 3 has nothing to do with the first two and that's it's purely sci-fi. Black Ops is not good, I think I'm about halfway and will finish it, but this is the bottom of the barrel by far to me. It's also humorous how low budget it looks compared to the IW games. I mean it's still expensive CoD, but it's almost like Activision weren't fully ready to trust a new team to handle some spinoffs. It's ugly compared to the others. Dying a lot more in this one too from bad checkpoints, bad grenade spam, and the blood splatter detection seems way worse somehow. I'm not sure how they did it, but Treyarch made a bad CoD. I wish I knew that Black Ops (and 2?) were Vietnam war era. If I wanted more WW2 or Vietnam I could be playing the new Wolfenstein right now instead. I completely ignored CoD back in the day after MW2, but always remembered hearing how the Black Ops multiplayer was weirder and had crazier gadgets, plus the ambigious covers... I completely assumed all three games were more near future high tech era stuff, not this at all. Pretty disappointing. I hope Black Ops 2 is a huge step up from this.

The seizure inducing cuts with the "memories" are really annoying too... :roll:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Black Ops is not good, I think I'm about halfway and will finish it, but this is the bottom of the barrel by far to me.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah too bad I already had Black Ops 1-2 in hand when you posted your thoughts. :lol:

Ah well, it's better than Homefront by miles at least and I can probably finish it. Realistically I've been 10x more interested in the newest games and excited about those from the start, but I figured I would go back and play the other last gen ones first to see the evolution of it all or make comparisons. For better or worse... Modern Warfare 3 was a blast though and I'm glad I played it.

But yeah I definitely have high hopes for Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 3, and Infinite Warfare. Maybe I'll scoop up the CoD4 remaster someday too, but holy hell not for $40.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I beat Black Ops the other day. Ultimately I think it's okay and the story got more interesting in the back half, but it's really unpolished and horribly paced. The game often thinks that it's either Apocalypse Now or something like Metro... and it's neither at all. It was so all over the place. Least favorite CoD for sure and it's weird since it's not like I even love CoD and have issues with the IW games as well, but something about those is just better and more well paced.

Few missions into Black Ops 2 and it's... different. Doesn't feel like a CoD and I'm not sure if that's good or not. Again, it's jumping back and forth between the 1980's and current times from what I'm seeing. Still not a fan of that. The current near-sci-fi elements are cool though. The resolution of the game seems like it's 720p or 1080p. It's weird going back to the last gen, I honestly think some if it will age the worse. Stuff like Black Ops just looks like smeared mud across the screen. Since I've been playing a lot more on PC thesedays, it gets easier to notice the difference and Black Ops 2 looks dramatically better. Obviously since it's newer, 2012 I think. But yeah, I've admittedly gotten numbers picky about the tech and resolution of the last gen because some of it just looks terrible now, even moreso than the PSX/PS2 era to me.

Black Ops 2 seems like it will be decent. But I guess I might be in the minority that will say I like Ghosts better than these. It might play it more safe, but again, something about the IW stuff just works better. Black Ops seems like it tries a little too hard to be edgy or witty, so I'm not sure what to expect with Black Ops 3 now. But I'm excited for Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare. I have a hunch Advanced will blow Treyarch's stuff out of the water.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

So the Steam Autumn sale is live and I went on an FPS splurge. For $86 I got: Prey (2017), Doom (2016), Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood, Far Cry Primal, and Far Cry 4 season pass (had the game originally bought in a sale where DLC was not on sale).

I will be playing some single-player FPSs this coming long weekend for sure!!!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Hey yall, EA fuckery aside, the Battlefront II campaign is dope. It legit feels like you're playing a Star Wars movie.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I don't know, looks and sounds bad from what I've heard. I've never played a good Dice campaign.

Wolfenstein II The New Colossus is $30 on Steam right now.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Xeogred wrote:I've never played a good Dice campaign.

You've never played Battlefront II.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:You've never played Battlefront II.

I have, and I enjoyed it immensely!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.