Video Pinball

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Video Pinball

Post by Ivo »

geozeldadude wrote:finished metroid prime pinball recently. just curious if anyone has finished the hard mode. also, is it just me or is the pirate frigate board way harder than the tallon IV board?

I remember one of the boards being harder than the other, I forgot this game had a hard mode. Will be playing it again to see if I beat it!

Ivo.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

General_Norris wrote:I rememeber a lasertag place that had Pump it Up in it, always unplugged. I asked them to turn it on so I could play but they were like "nah, it takes a while (10 seconds?) to boot" so they never turned it own even if you asked.

They closed three months later, what a surprise...

Was this another ARCADE IN SPAIN (TM)?

Pump It Up runs on PC hardware -- only takes the time a POST/BIOS check would on any computer.

KEEP YOUR GAMES PLUGGED IN PEOPLE!

(now back to Pinball)

I hear great things about Pinball Of The Dead for GBA -- so I'd check that out too :)

What I actually wanted to link to was a HG 101 article on the entire 21st Century Pinball series (Dreams, Fantasies, etc.) Check out all that DICE and them put together.

http://hg101.kontek.net/21stpinball/21stpinball.htm
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

geozeldadude wrote:finished metroid prime pinball recently. just curious if anyone has finished the hard mode. also, is it just me or is the pirate frigate board way harder than the tallon IV board?

After you mentioned this I started playing on Expert mode. Completing the multi-mission is *really hard*. I finally managed after a whole week and the full weekend practice. I did get 10 millions though (I'm sure there are better players out there but I thought it was quite good).

Everything starts at level two. You get NO extra balls with the only exception being when you complete the Artifact Temple (1 extra ball, basically). And then you head out to Impact Crater and good luck.

If anyone is trying to do it I have some strategies. It is good to think what you need to do, and also practice a bit on Single Mission mode (training the bosses, Artifact Temple and Impact Crater in particular).
I agree that the Tallon table is quite a bit easier, so don't use the Frigate at all. Start on Tallon and stick to that. There are 2 artifacts (and 2 power-ups) on the boss fights.

Ideally you leave Tallon Overworld for the first time with 10 artifacts and without having lost any balls. That means you don't have to return to the Overworld before taking your first attempt at the Artifact Temple. But it doesn't always happen that way. If you happen to leave with 9 artifacts, it is very much worth trying to get the 10th on Phendrana Drifts by smashing lots of those crystals that give you the Force Field.

Each time you need to leave Overworld you need to survive 3 modes: Burrowers (easy), Triclops (hardest) and Metroids (hard). If you already have all 10 artifacts, do NOT risk it - particularly for Triclops Terror, it is better to let the time expire than taking unnecessary risks.

Artifacts:

In general you should try to start by clearing either Triclops (ideal) or Metroids right at the start. If you lose there you haven't wasted much of your time and you can re-start.

In order to gather artifacts, the best ways are probably Combat mode (write SAMUS) and Wall Jump (Wall Jump used to be good for milking extra balls, but not in Expert mode :/). Possibly you are also good with the Hurry-up mode but to get the artifact you need to catch it really fast before the points start to go down which I found was often tricky.

The ones that aren't re-usable (as far as I can tell) are still worth pursuing: I found getting 10x bounty multiplier to be pretty simple, and also the multi-ball options were decent - you need to get the super jackpot to get the artifact there. I like to save my first Phason multi-ball for using on a Triclops Terror, which often means I don't get the super jackpot but I manage to clear the Triclops without losing an actual ball.
Phason Frenzy mode is almost as good as a free artifact if you get it (I usually didn't though). You just need to avoid the side-lanes and survive.
It is not particularly easy to get it, but if you can get a Super Combo (4x combo on consecutive ramps) you also get an artifact. Sometimes the shots line up one after the other and you nail it. I don't remember if this one is re-usable.

General survival:

You can't get extra balls so staying alive is the top priority - this bears repeating, you can always get more artifacts later. Let Triclops Terror and even Metroids time out if you don't think you are fairly safe.

In general you should try to keep the Force Field on as much as possible. This is particularly so when doing Triclops and Metroids on Overworld, and also on the boss fights. Getting an artifact or special gives you a bit of Force Field time, but the most common way is to enter the scanner. The scanner is actually extremely useful, it will also give you Health recharges when you are low and other stuff like that. Get used to accessing it frequently - this also goes for the bosses.

In terms of dying from zero Health, I only found this a genuine issue on boss fights (the biggest danger in Phendrana Drifts are the Triclops, although it is conceivable that you could get smashed by the boss).

Bosses:

I start always with Phendrana Drifts boss, although it is the easiest one for me. I do this because the Power Bomb can be helpful on Phason Mines, whereas the Missiles are not needed in Drifts. I try to leave Drifts with a Power Bomb, but if your Health is low or if there are two Triclops in the lower part of Drifts it may be better to just finish off the boss instead of hanging around.

In the Mines, it is better if you get more SAMUS letters before collecting the Missile (but don't enable Combat before getting the Missile, as it is hard to avoid it after it is ready). It is much easier to defeat the boss if you access Combat mode and use 4 missiles on it. I think that even if the boss is at full health, 4 missiles, 1 hit when he is recovering, and 1 Power bomb will kill him - but if you hit him twice that should work as well and you keep the Power bomb for the last boss if you get there.

If you get to the Artifact Temple and lose, you don't lose a life, but you get sent somewhere else. Personally I found it slightly safer to go back to Tallon and never even tried other options, but it may be worth trying Phendrana Drifts (although the boss will now be at level 3 I believe) instead.

On the final boss, the Power Ball is essential. Before grabbing the ability it is a good idea to use the Scanner to refill on Missiles and Power Bomb (although the Metroids will also drop Missiles often and Power Bomb rarely).
It takes 3 Power hits to get to the final form (which is a bitch) - it is a bit tricky, you can use your bombs near the legs that block your way to the Power Ball power-ups to clear the way for the shot (that way you don't need to actually take the shot twice).
Use your Power Bomb on the final form if you have it, you will probably want to focus on using the Power Ball on it. If you get Combat ready the missiles also knock some of its health down so it is good to have all 4 with you.

Ivo.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

ExedExes wrote:Was this another ARCADE IN SPAIN (TM)?

Kind of. It was a place that had a lasertag court and had this game on the main floor, next to a bar and some foosball and air hockey machines.

And yes, PIU boots really fast, they didn't even care, they were annoyed I asked about giving them money.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I'm glad this thread is active again because I got word that there is a GBA exclusive release to Europe only that is a port of Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies. It's called Pinball Challenge Deluxe and it was released by UbiSoft.

Too bad its next to impossible to find online :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

Ivo wrote:

After you mentioned this I started playing on Expert mode. Completing the multi-mission is *really hard*. I finally managed after a whole week and the full weekend practice.

wow, nice write up. you should submit it to gamefaqs, etc. if you haven't already.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Anyone have any experience with Zen Pinball 3D for the 3DS? I believe it is $6.99 in the 3ds shop.
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

also, has anyone played Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon? it's by the same people who did metroid pinball (and mario pinball).
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

geozeldadude wrote:also, has anyone played Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon? it's by the same people who did metroid pinball (and mario pinball).

DSiware, can't try it on my DS. But I really like Metroid Pinball (no rumble on DSi though).
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

geozeldadude wrote:also, has anyone played Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon? it's by the same people who did metroid pinball (and mario pinball).

Almost bought it when approved for 3DS release because I've heard good things... but then bought Zen Pinball 3D instead because it came out at almost the same time.

Which brings me to...

retrosportsgamer wrote:Anyone have any experience with Zen Pinball 3D for the 3DS? I believe it is $6.99 in the 3ds shop.

Yes! And it's great!

Well, there are some notable issues. The resolution isn't HD and the screen size is obviously limited. With the 3D effect turned on the tables still look great though, and you can get used to the different camera options pretty quickly - even though they aren't as good as seeing the whole table at once.

Note: This game uses only the upper screen for table action and moves the electronic display to the bottom. It works well and (in my opinion) is a better option than splitting the table because you can use the 3D effect and don't ever have to worry about a gap issue.

Only four tables are currently included:
  • Excalibur
  • Shaman
  • El Dorado
  • Earth Defense

There are supposedly plans to release additional tables as DLC. Marvel tables from Zen Studios are expected too - but those will be released as an entirely separate game.

One of the best features is the online ranking. You can sort table scores by All-Time, Weekly, or My Country. You can also filter once inside a category to show only scores from your friends. There are two additional ranking features: Pro Score that gives you a combined ranking based on your scores for all tables, and a Team Score that (I think) adds up all of the Pro Rankings from people on your friend list.

However, it's worth noting that apparently there are a few "cheaters" out there when it comes to ranking scores. Because the portable version gives you the option to save game progress and continue later, some people create backups of good games in progress and to keep building ridiculous scores. There are also rumors that some scoring bugs existed for Team/Pro scores... although I've seen no proof of this myself.

ANYWAY...

With all of that said, this $7 game has quickly become my "go to" entertainment while on the move and has consumed dozens of hours of my life. I'd recommend it to anyone who is even mildly interested in Pinball.

The big question is whether this is better than the 3DS version of Williams Hall of Fame or not. In other forums I visit, opinions seem divided on that front.