Video Pinball

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Video Pinball

Post by J T »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:How's Odama, by the way? I've been meaning to show my lonely Gamecube some love in the next few months, and I skipped over this one.. Worth it..?

I enjoyed Odama, but it's hard as hell. There are so many things to juggle besides a pinball. It's mentally taxing. I couldn't pass the first level. It's worthy getting just because it is so unique though. What other game combines real time strategy with pinball?
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

J T wrote:
Rurouni_Fencer wrote:How's Odama, by the way? I've been meaning to show my lonely Gamecube some love in the next few months, and I skipped over this one.. Worth it..?

I enjoyed Odama, but it's hard as hell. There are so many things to juggle besides a pinball. It's mentally taxing. I couldn't pass the first level. It's worthy getting just because it is so unique though. What other game combines real time strategy with pinball?

Sounds very interesting! Do you have to play with the mic though? Or can you just play standard pinball with it?
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Oh I forgot to include Odama in my pic! Mine is still unopen and I forgot it was a pseudo-pinball game.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:
J T wrote:
Sounds very interesting! Do you have to play with the mic though? Or can you just play standard pinball with it?
Not really, the mic is used to encourage soldier charges as the large ball breaks thru the enemy ranks. You can also still get the elusive mic holder from the Nintendo website.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Was waiting for CRT to join the party.. :lol:
the King
Next-Gen

Post by the King »

dsheinem wrote:I took this thread as an opportunity to round up my pinball games - I had more than I remembered, but this thread reminded me that there are several more I want to pick up! :D

I've also had that Williams collection for the Wii and PSP at one point, but prefer it in glorious HD. I didn't find the Wii waggle compelling. I also have Zen Pinball for the PS3 and need to pick up those FX games....any other current gen pinball I'm missing?

I hated Alien Crush Returns for WiiWare as it was incredibly boring, short, and the few tables were uninspired. It did not deserve to bear the name of a true classic!

I've also have one of these since I was a wee one:

It might be a fun collecting goal to get at least one version of every pinball game released for a handheld or console. Hmmmm.....

Hobie-wan wrote:
My pile of bearing blasters.

Just realized I forgot about Flipnic. I want to like Flipnic but there are far too many interruptions that screw up the flow of playing the game. The cutscenes that pop up all the time really ruin the game. :(

I don't have nearly as many as you guys. I don't own any handhelds, but I do have Pinball Action on my multicade.

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

the King wrote:I don't have nearly as many as you guys. I don't own any handhelds, but I do have Pinball Action on my multicade.

Cool that despite the fact that there are less pinball games than other genres we have a pretty good spread with just a little overlap. I didn't count game collections with pinball in them like the Sonic collection with Sonic Spinball. Your post reminded me of Pinball Action on the Xbox Tecmo collection.

How is Rock n Ball for NES? Been thinking of picking that one up. Have a cheap copy of Big Race on the way after this thread inspired me to have a search on Ebay. :)
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Walked into a local Gamestop and picked up Odama Complete and never played for 7 bucks..

Box is a bit beat up, but the mic and the plastic gamepad clip are still in their baggies and the manual is crisp and unopened!

I'll post later with my impression of the game, but from what I've read by you guys about your opinions, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

I just popped in Fire Ball!! (Real Pinball) in one of my 3DO systems and gave it a whirl. It's okay. Feels kind of floaty, but it's pinball so it's fun. Devil's Crush is still better, though!
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Cool topic. I played the HELL out of that Tiger hand-held. It was basically pattern recognition at some point, and you could rack up the score endlessly. I remember enjoying the Kirby GB game, too. I've always wanted to try Pinball Quest - I need to add that to my NES collection.

I had somehow forgotten that TG-16 games are now on PSN. I should pick up Alien Crush, huh?

I've spent some time playing Sonic Spinball on the recent Genesis collection. Seems pretty cool (though there are parts where you actually play as Sonic and jump and whatnot). I agree that there's something about the 16-bit pinball games. Then again, there's just something about 16-bit games anyway.... :D