The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by Reprise »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:The weird thing about DOOM on the PS1 is not only the remixed levels but the remixed enemies. It has levels from 1 and 2 but cuts out some of the most annoying enemies from 2, so you'll be playing through DOOM 2 levels but you'll never run into a Pain Elemental or an Archvile. That said, it's still an excellent console port if you're looking for old DOOM-y action, and I've never really cared for DOOM 3, so I'd recommend DOOM original any day of the week :lol:

Yeah I know Doom 3 is not to everyone's liking, but I still feel like checking it out and it does come with perfect ports of the PC originals of Doom 1 and 2. Would they not kinda make the PS1 port redundant if I was to play the PS3 versions? Or would you say it's still worth getting the PS1 game? It does sound like a really interesting port, since it has remixed levels, enemies and original levels. And not running into annoying enemies sounds decent too.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I love Doom 3, but it's more of a Bioschok-esque kind of thing.

Doom64 is amazing. Are you playing the actual original or one of the new PC sourceports? EX is amazing.

You should totally grab Doom PSX. There's enough differences to make it a unique experience, even moreso than say comparing an SNES port to a Genesis one. The graphics are amusingly stretched out some and longer than they should be but not in an annoying way, it has some ambient lightning effects not in the other versions while lacking some other details, remixed sets of levels and enemies as stated and a completely different OST with new sound effects. Actually, you should know since you're playing 64, the sounds/BGM in Doom PSX are the same as 64. So if you like that vibe that's a plus. I still need to grab Final Doom PSX sometime.

The only issue is the controls are a little sluggish and you can't customize them or the sensitivity much. It also doesn't have a save system from what I remember, just passwords. But hey, like people say thesedays just use a phone to screenshot those perhaps.

I can't say I've completely finished Doom PSX myself but yeah, if you're a big fan it's a very neat and unique version for sure. I'm glad I have it.

The XBLA, PS3 Doom Classic Complete Collection, and the Doom 3 versions have the edited medpack symbols. Also the control customization leaves a bit to be desired, you have to use the d-pad to cycle through your guns and they don't even place the Shotgun and Super Shotgun next to each other... WTF? That said, I've beaten all these versions and it's doable on controllers for sure, just not my preference. I think 3D Realms did a better job with the new Duke3D ports on consoles, it has a lot more options and customization. Still, these new ports of Doom are excellent and virtually the authentic original in their best form outside of the controls.

You should also find the new episode "No Rest For the Living" in these, which is excellent. This was newly made a few years ago as an XBLA exclusive but it's now available elsewhere.

The Classic Complete Collection is a heck of a package, containing 100 plus levels and everything:
- Ultimate Doom (Ultimate has the awesome Episode 4)
- Doom II
- Doom II Master Levels (about two dozen, quality varies but if you're a completionist it's cool to check out)
- Plutonia
- TNT
- No Rest For the Living

HUGE package. I think Doom 3 only contains Doom 1, 2, and No Rest.

Also for Doom 3, definitely stick with the BFG edition. It still holds up insanely well visually and all guns having a flashlight is a plus.

Guess I'm not being too helpful since I'm just telling you to buy all the Doom's several times over like I have. :twisted: :lol: :P
Last edited by Xeogred on Sun May 13, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Wow, awesome post Xeogred. Thank you, that is super informative. And yeah, I was thinking "isn't he just advising me to buy all the Doom ports?" quite quickly as I read down... But that's cool haha.

Yeah I'm playing the original version of Doom 64. I won a cart in an Ebay bid for a reasonable price and I'm playing with the Retro Fighters pad which works really well for Doom. The controls feel so smooth! And yeah, the ambient sounds are awesome. Funny you mention the password system and using my phone to capture those, I did that the first time I loaded up Doom 64 the other day, not realising it would then ask me if I wanted to save to my memory card. I had figured it was password only like the PS1 version.

Sounds like I do need to pick up the PS1 version then, sine it's so unique and interesting compared to the other ports (and most of the other console ports paled in comparison anyways). I'll be sure to pick up Doom 3 BFG edition some time too. And then probably the Doom Classic Collection. Haha guess I will be getting them all then.

Back to Doom 3 BFG, it's cool to hear someone recommend that version, because I know a lot of people seemed to claim the game was better in its original form, forcing players to switch between flash light and guns, but honestly that doesn't sound like a fun Doom experience to me...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, I played Doom 3 in its original form and it was fine... but it's just so much more fun playing the BFG edition where all guns have flashlights. The game still gets very action heavy as it goes so it the flashlight gimmick was just so pointless. Maybe Carmack and co just wanted to really show off the engine and lightning at the time. The BFG edition also comes with the two little expansions which are pretty cool too. I don't know if you liked Dead Space, but Doom 3 has that same awesome spacey claustrophobic vibe with incredible sound design, I just love being in its world. Its take on Hell is very cool too and it's got some great boss battles. It gets way too much slack I'd say.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am surprised my purchase of the original Doom games(Steam) does not have a MacOS port, given this game runs on anything including Ti-83 calculators and that it is based on DOS which I believe you can use DosBox for.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:I am surprised my purchase of the original Doom games(Steam) does not have a MacOS port, given this game runs on anything including Ti-83 calculators and that it is based on DOS which I believe you can use DosBox for.

Just get DOS Box or a source port for Mac.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

New Doom, Doom:Eternal was announced. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hmm. I guess I'll have to finally play DOOM (2016) then.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's a 10.