Cuphead

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Cuphead

Post by fastbilly1 »

I could probably pacifist the first two, the third will be difficult.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Sounds like my kind of game. I'll have to remember to check it out years from now when I own one of the systems this game is released on.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

samsonlonghair wrote:Sounds like my kind of game. I'll have to remember to check it out years from now when I own one of the systems this game is released on.

it is on PC, system requirements are fairly low:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 3.0GHz or higher
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Geforce 9600 GT or AMD HD 3870 512MB or higher
DirectX: Version 9.0
Storage: 20 GB available space
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So I'm at the end of the game and just getting my ass kicked by this boss rush. If you die you have to start allllll the way over on it. And the timing game to select which bosses you do in the rush is just finicky enough that I can't get down the timing to only fight the easy bosses in the rush.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Here is a tip regarding the timing.
The timing doesn't change. It is the direction that the dice rotates. Adjust accordingly depending which way it rotates. That drove me nuts too until I figured it out.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

fastbilly1 wrote:Someone converted the signal down to an f connector and ran it on a BW tv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcYW9dTAUw

I knew it was gonna be LGR before I clicked the link!
katastrophic88
8-bit

Post by katastrophic88 »

Incredibly difficult, but equally amazing. Absolutely love the 1930s cartoon aesthetic and the soundtrack is awesome!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Thanks for bumping the thread, Katastrophic. Welcome to the Racketboy forums.
dsheinem wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Sounds like my kind of game. I'll have to remember to check it out years from now when I own one of the systems this game is released on.

it is on PC, system requirements are fairly low:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 3.0GHz or higher
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Geforce 9600 GT or AMD HD 3870 512MB or higher
DirectX: Version 9.0
Storage: 20 GB available space

Hi Dsh, I just saw that you replied to my post with system requirements for PC. That is fairly reasonable, except that I still can't fulfill those specs.
Alas, my best machine (which is a production machine not a gaming rig) can only boast a 2.66 GHz Quad Core Xeon. I have wayyyyyyy more than 2 GB of RAM. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of GDDR3 memory. I'm going to upgrade that graphics card at some point in the next six months. I need something with CUDA support; gaming will only be a secondary concern. I'm not currently planning on upgrading the processor in that machine at all. Not that it's impossible, just not a priority. If I did upgrade the processor, I would likely look into more processor cores rather than a faster clockspeed.

This is why I stick to gaming on consoles; my computers are for work.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I can't believe this thread isn't more popular, I just saw it!

I played through Cuphead a few days after release on PC and I thought it was great, a GOTY contender for me. The beautiful animation speaks for itself, but it also backs the art up with fairly quick, responsive controls (more on these in a minute). The game is as difficult as you may have heard, but it is tough in a way older Run-and-Guns aren't. Cuphead, like some other modern platformers (Super Meat Boy comes to mind) are designed for constant failure and instant retries. In Contra, it was 3 mistakes and and you're done--back to the front, bub. In Cuphead, you have an infinite number of attempts for each level or boss that won't last more than 3-4 minutes in a successful run. This along with an HP meter means that gameplay is focused less on twitch reflexes to save you from an instant death, and more on gradual mastery of each new pattern (and there's a pattern to everything).

Of all the bosses, I had the most trouble with the Robot and the Genie, followed by the Bee and the Roller Coaster. Once I embraced Charge Shot most bosses on Isle 2 and 3 were very manageable, and it feels like the Dragon boss was made with Charge Shot in mind. This was one of the few games that pushed me beyond a straight playthrough, going back to secure "A" ranks or better on every level (but I didn't go for "S" ranks or pacifist runs). The run-and-gun stages were probably the hardest for me to Ace, it seems like I'd either always get hit or forget to use my supers.

A note about the control; when I first began playing Cuphead on my flat-panel monitor and Steam Controller, the game felt a little "off", less responsive than it should. A laggy screen and wireless controller had combined to make a noticeable impact on the experience. After connecting a CRT monitor and plugging in my Buffalo SNES pad, the game felt much better. Trust me when I say that if you can take similar steps to minimize lag, it will be a much less frustrating experience for you.

If I were to say anything negative about the game, I did notice a couple bugs (one that was especially frustrating in the final boss fight, but another that could be cheesed in the penultimate tussle) but I believe both have now been patched. Being a stat junkie, I would have also appreciated more in-depth item and weapon descriptions, but that's no big deal. Really though, there was nothing that kept the game from being great.

I am a firm believer in run-and-gun games and welcome any new additions, especially if they're this gorgeous. In this game I see a lot of Gunstar Heroes, especially in one of the last boss fights (no spoilers). That's as high a praise as any modern game in this genre can hope to achieve. I'd recommend any fan of GH or Contra to give this a try, you won't be disappointed.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

It was definitely one of my favorite games of the year which should be no surprise given my username. :lol: