Games like Donkey Kong?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Games like Donkey Kong?

Post by dunpeal2064 »

This one doesn't exactly fit the description, but it kinda comes close, and I think it might be right up your alley.

Gain Ground on the Sega Genesis. Each level is a single screen, and the primary goal is to reach the Exit, whether all enemies are defeated or not. It looks like an overhead shooter, but its pacing is much slower and strategic.

You start with 3 characters iirc, and in the stages you can rescue other characters. If you get them to the exit, they become playable. Each character plays a little differently, and knowing how each one works is vital for progression. If you take a hit, that character is "dropped", and can be rescued by picking them up and taking them to the exit, but if your new character gets hit, the old one will be lost forever. Each stage is timed, and the timer is not forgiving, so making quick decisions as to what character can tackle the layout, and which enemies you want to take out first, or leave for later (or never fight at all) brings a really intriguing feel to the game.

I think its a really interesting game, an odd hybrid of overhead action, strategy (and it predates even Herzog Zwei!), and some puzzle aspects. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you come to grips with it, its a very unique experience that I have not seen elsewhere.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That's a good game... I've gotten, like, halfway through it....
diogomm

Post by diogomm »

Congo Bongo:

Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Chuckie Egg I think is European developed, on the home computers of the 80s (Spectrum and such) but there was also at least an Amiga port.

Nice gameplay.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

"It's on, like Congo Bongo" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Not exactly a platformer, but what about Crazy Balloon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7jTohI5h48
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Mame lists out Genres. The listing "PLATFORM P" has many single screen Arcade Cabinets, a lot of good stuff! :idea:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Miner 2049er all the way. Not sure which is the best version, but I'm guessing it's the atari 400/800 one, which is what I have.

I recently made a game in this realm called 'Dad Vs. Food'. I'll send it to you if you want.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

CRTGAMER wrote:Mame lists out Genres. The listing "PLATFORM P" has many single screen Arcade Cabinets, a lot of good stuff! :idea:

Also, check out the 9 pages of "Platform Run/Jump" here - many of these games are also single screen.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Stark wrote:"It's on, like Congo Bongo" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

It's Ongo Like Congo Bongo?

Yeah, you're right, definitely doesnt work :lol: