Slow down in Mega Man on NES

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
MrPopo

Re: Slow down in Mega Man on NES

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:No slowdown in Falcom games.

They're already so slow you can't tell.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

^ LOL
In retrospect, my opinion is that it was intentional, and is a part of the challenge. Did you read that interview where Inafune told the level designer "this game is too easy and predictable" or something like that? He knew we craved a challenge. If anticipated, like the rest of the gauntlet, it makes timing the jumps and enemy attacks sorta like bullet-time, but before The Matrix and Max Payne. It's one of those things I never questioned because it was always like that.
If you have to make that jump, and two enemies are coming, you can shoot your load and jump at that precise moment better because time has slowed... as long as you miss both and avoid the second enemy successfully (or the first bullet has cleared so you can reload and blast it - depending on the situation).

I choose to chock it up to *good game design* to provide *advanced move anticipation*
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

^ I somehow think that's not the case and more to do with hardware limitations. It's more precise when it doesn't slow down when you don't expect it and therefore firing at the wrong time at a critical point in a boss battle. I have to say it gets better the third or fourth time through a section because you know when to expect the slow down and accommodate...
I did end up beating the game (with continues)