Slow down in Mega Man on NES

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
dogman91
128-bit

Slow down in Mega Man on NES

Post by dogman91 »

...seriously, is this what people put up with back in the day? :? It's impossible to time jumps, or time anything for that matter, because the slow down can occur at any time and ruin that precision. All other NES platformers I played never had this problem to such a frequent, frustrating degree.

I got the Rockman Complete Works on the Playstation and it's infinitely more playable as the game was reprogrammed for the platform; and there's barely any slowdown at all. Thank god for that.

Do the other Mega Man games get better in this regard?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Slow down in Mega Man on NES

Post by Xeogred »

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The only time I felt like slowdown in a Mega Man game was bad enough to screw me over was the later Game Boy titles.

Also Wily Wars for the Mega Drive was not terribly well programmed and can be a little unbearable at times.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The first game is admittedly a little rough and different, Megaman 2 was the main blueprint.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Gunstar Green wrote:Also Wily Wars for the Mega Drive was not terribly well programmed and can be a little unbearable at times.

The huge problem with Wily Wars is the delay from when you hit left or right to when Mega Man actually starts moving.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

I just had a thought... what about overclocking your NES? I wonder if this would eliminate a lot of the slow down that's rampant in many NES titles.

On a side note, I have to say Konami games on the NES I played barely have any slow down; at least any that's readily apparent/noticeable. I hope not all Capcom games are this poorly optimized.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

If my memory serves me correctly some of the slowdown in MM1 seemed to come from the bullets being fired by Mega Man himself. With that in mind you can control some of the slowdown if you are a little bit more precise with your rate of fire and/or choosing to avoid enemies rather than trying to kill them.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

dogman91 wrote:I just had a thought... what about overclocking your NES? I wonder if this would eliminate a lot of the slow down that's rampant in many NES titles.

On a side note, I have to say Konami games on the NES I played barely have any slow down; at least any that's readily apparent/noticeable. I hope not all Capcom games are this poorly optimized.

Collapsing bridge right before Death in CV3 says otherwise. That thing loves to eat inputs.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sprite flicker always bothered me far more than slow down.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

No slowdown in Falcom games.