Freedom Planet

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Freedom Planet

Post by ZeroAX »

Xeogred wrote:Wasn't there difficulty selections? I was thinking of restarting on easy, but I've come this far...

No don't, on easy your health regenerates which turns this game into a joke.

The funny thing is that all those bosses have been greatly nerfed. Read forum posts from when this game came out :lol:

Still my favorite game of the year.....just saying 8)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Did anybody else have problems just getting the damn thing to run? It's really tetchy about going fullscreen and sometimes just goes to black and doesn't return between level transitions. Very annoying. :x I've even tried a few of the methods on the galaxytrail website to fix things and it's still a pig.

It's a shame because when I do get it going it's great. Not perhaps as great as I expected but it's still very very good.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Hmm no problem here and I run it in Steam Big Picture.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

ZeroAX wrote:The funny thing is that all those bosses have been greatly nerfed. Read forum posts from when this game came out :lol:

Do they still give you the option of playing without nerfed bosses?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:The funny thing is that all those bosses have been greatly nerfed. Read forum posts from when this game came out :lol:

Do they still give you the option of playing without nerfed bosses?

This is a case where "nerfed" feels like the wrong word. They've basically tried to fix a pretty serious design flaw by adjusting the boss difficulty, and even still I think the game suffers from an insanely steep curve on the last few bosses. Even after the change, according to the Steam forums, people who make it through the game rarely if at all dying will still often lose ~100 lives on the last couple of bosses. That's just a shit design.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I guess, having not played it yet, I'm not familiar with how much the may have changed the bosses. It would just be nice to have access to the original content, since I want to experience what I've seen others discussing in regards to the end area's difficulty.

It is probably bad design, but I want to play it and know for myself!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I guess, having not played it yet, I'm not familiar with how much the may have changed the bosses. It would just be nice to have access to the original content, since I want to experience what I've seen others discussing in regards to the end area's difficulty.

It is probably bad design, but I want to play it and know for myself!

The changes were made back in July, before most of us in this thread played it: http://steamcommunity.com/app/248310/di ... 544029824/

The old difficulty is still accessible, but even the "nerfed" version is, IMO, just too insane.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Awesome, thanks for the link. Looks like the changes added do not affect Hard mode, so I'm glad to at least still have the chance to experience the original, crazy end, even if the current end is still pretty nuts.

I'm sure the re-balancing is whats best for the game overall, but I tend to like things that would probably turn most people away. Dying 100+ times to one difficulty spike in an otherwise easy game sounds like something I could either love (Sonic speedrunning is easy until you have a pixel/frame perfect input that kills the run) or hate (Batsugun milking on stage 4 being harder than anything in the 4 Loops of the game by far).

It works out well, as now I can play the fixed version, and follow that up with a Hard mode run to see just how mean the game can get... assuming I make it through the normal game. :lol:
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

You will probably like the bosses as they are now, despite the sudden spike in difficulty. I think a greater difficulty would be unpleasant.

Keep in mind I have beaten Ninja Gaiden, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Battletoads, and Castlevania without cheats or save states. I like difficult games.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

J T wrote:You will probably like the bosses as they are now, despite the sudden spike in difficulty. I think a greater difficulty would be unpleasant.

Keep in mind I have beaten Ninja Gaiden, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Battletoads, and Castlevania without cheats or save states. I like difficult games.

I like difficult games too, but I like them to be up front about their difficulty and to build it smartly.