Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Post by ZeroAX »

Ziggy587 wrote:I turn the controller around. :D

:shock: :shock:

Does this work perfectly? I can't remember if up and down are also switched. I can't believe I never thought of doing this.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

No, it doesn't work perfectly, but it works well enough for me. 8)

Up and down will be reversed when you turn the controller around, but you can get away without using them. Just swim with B, and use that to control your Y axis.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Ziggy587 wrote:I suppose if you're playing in an emulator you could cheat and remap the buttons.

Or R5 but that's beside the point :lol:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Right, an emulator, like I said. :P
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

So I've cranked through the first two games in the series and now onto the 3rd. I do like it much better than the 1st game which has some bigtime problems. But man the 3rd game is HARD. I've had to resort to save states to see most of the game, and even then I have no chance in hell at even sniffing 100%.

A lot of the levels are well done, every bit as good as the 2nd game, but some levels just give me the Jackie Chan WTF face. Like that barrel rocket level... what the hell?? And...

Retrogamer0001 wrote:The water level near the end of DKC3 where the controls are reversed is absolute hell - I must have died 15 times at least. It really requires you to re-program your mind and fight against every instinct you've developed up to that point.

I hate this level so much. Just... why? WHY? For the sake of doing it?

I will say I do really like the overworld map, it makes it feel like DKC the RPG. But this game really feels wayyy too ambitious. Some stuff works, some doesn't. That said, it's way ahead of the 1st game, but I still prefer the 2nd.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

The only level I didn't really like in DKC3 was the very last level in the secret world, surprisingly enough.. the Rocket Run level. I just wonder what the hell they were thinking with the rocket barrel's controls and memorization of the level layout.

Great game otherwise; I think I like DKC1 better though for it's simplicity/aesthetic, and especially DKC2 which is my favorite in the series.

BTW, there's cheat codes for "extra difficulty" and even "super difficulty" if you want it to be even HARDER... I can't tell you what the exact differences are though.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dogman91 wrote:The only level I didn't really like in DKC3 was the very last level in the secret world, surprisingly enough.. the Rocket Run level. I just wonder what the hell they were thinking with the rocket barrel's controls and memorization of the level layout.

Great game otherwise; I think I like DKC1 better though for it's simplicity/aesthetic, and especially DKC2 which is my favorite in the series.

BTW, there's cheat codes for "extra difficulty" and even "super difficulty" if you want it to be even HARDER... I can't tell you what the exact differences are though.

The difficulty modes remove all checkpoints and a lot of DK barrels.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

alienjesus wrote:
dogman91 wrote:The only level I didn't really like in DKC3 was the very last level in the secret world, surprisingly enough.. the Rocket Run level. I just wonder what the hell they were thinking with the rocket barrel's controls and memorization of the level layout.

The difficulty modes remove all checkpoints and a lot of DK barrels.

Also, your sanity.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SNESdrunk wrote:I will say I do really like the overworld map, it makes it feel like DKC the RPG. But this game really feels wayyy too ambitious. Some stuff works, some doesn't. That said, it's way ahead of the 1st game, but I still prefer the 2nd.

Your opinion is spot on with most people's. 3 is better than 1, but 2 was lightening in a bottle.

You have to think though... They made DKC1, and then improved on the formula to make DKC2. No arguing that DKC2 is a lot better than the first game in all aspects. If they took the DKC2 formula and just made new levels but kept everything else the same and called it DKC3, the internet would be looking back at DKC3 saying things like "They were just cashing in with another game, it's just a clone of DKC2, etc." At least they made an attempt to mix it up a little, instead of giving us the same thing again. Whether the changes were good or bad is another story. But even though all three games have the same core gameplay, at least they all have distinct differences.

And you have to admit, of all the changes they made with DKC3 that you may not agree with, at least they kept the things that matter. The core gameplay is the same. DKC3 might have some of the most difficult levels in the series, and some new mechanics (smashing things with Kiddy Kong) but the gameplay is still essentially the same. It still has awesome music. Hard to compare since the music fit the theme of each game, but you can't argue that all the games have some of the best music found on the SNES. And the graphics, the trilogy is some of the best graphics on the console. 2 improved over 1, and 3 might have improved a tad over 2.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

If they took the DKC2 formula and just made new levels but kept everything else the same and called it DKC3, the internet would be looking back at DKC3 saying things like "They were just cashing in with another game, it's just a clone of DKC2, etc."

I don't think so now, as long as it was good I think people would be forgiving. At the time I think it would've been a problem though, especially with the N64 in full swing. I do remember reading bits and pieces from interviews over the years about the developers wanting to do something different, just because most were desperate to do something other than the same old same old.