Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Post by ZeroAX »

I think only Sonic 2 ever did a water level properly (Aquatic Ruins Zone).

Interesting. Any source on the development process? I've only read some stuff on Retro Gamer about it, but they focused more on the development of Donkey Kong Country, then a bit on DKC2 and quickly passed by DKC3 :(
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Nah, I don't remember where I read that. There was a good chance it was from a forum post here on RB tho. :lol:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ZeroAX wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Curse you ZeroAX, I may end up having to buy DK3 for the SNES!

I have been playing SNES version of Donkey Kong Country 2 and love it! Has anyone else had a problem jumping on the hooks in the Gangplank Galley level? This is the level right before the 1st game save at Kong College which really makes it frustrating. :?

I could not leap to all the hooks with Diddy, ended up playing as Dixie with the hover leaps. Really what gives, is there a way to make Diddy leap enough to hit all the hooks? A running jump or holding the button longer does not seem to have any difference. I am guessing hitting the jump right at the edge of a platform, but even then I usually miss that very last hook!
Seriously you should, the game is amazing and it's pretty cheap (for an SNES game).

That's weird, I always found the jumps to be pretty easy to make. Maybe you are missing a hook in between that you don't notice? I'm pretty sure diddy can reach all hooks by himself, otherwise the game would be badly designed (and believe me, IT'S NOT :D). Are you holding down Y when making the jumps?

Diddy can make it evidenced by youtube videos of run thrus. I have not skipped any hooks, but holding the Y button while jumping did not work. Even tried holding the Dpad at a diagonal up right as I leap to no avail. Pressing the Y button after the jump did not work either. It certainly must be something I am doing wrong, should the dpad be held to up while jumping?

I ended up playing as Dixie with the Y button hover mode (pressed after leaping) to finish that level and finally got to the college for saving. Gaah, I hate it not having enough coins to update the save as I progress on later levels.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

CRTGAMER wrote:Diddy can make it evidenced by youtube videos of run thrus. I have not skipped any hooks, but holding the Y button while jumping did not work. Even tried holding the Dpad at a diagonal up right as I leap to no avail. Pressing the Y button after the jump did not work either. It certainly must be something I am doing wrong, should the dpad be held to up while jumping?

I ended up playing as Dixie with the Y button hover mode (pressed after leaping) to finish that level and finally got to the college for saving. Gaah, I hate it not having enough coins to update the save as I progress on later levels.

I just played it myself and I had no problem at all. You probably don't press the B button long enough. Maybe there's something wrong with your controller?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Dang, I guess I can't agree with you guys totally about the water levels, I LOVE them in this series. Returns didn't have them either, but Tropical Freeze brought back a whole water world pretty much and it was amazing. The water art design and music in DKC3 is pretty damn creepy.

I never even thought about that with DKC2 and the lack of water levels. I think it just had a few, like the sinking ships and such? On the other hand, they had those crazy honey nest levels, the vine stages, etc, and some other concepts.

ZeroAX wrote:I think only Sonic 2 ever did a water level properly (Aquatic Ruins Zone)

Interesting thought. That's probably my least favorite water level in the Sonic games, but admittedly very easy to skip through if you stick to the top... interesting how this concept isn't in many other platformers sometimes. The Sonic games go half and half, the water doesn't take up the entire area. And honestly I think they did them really well. Although the water levels in the first Sonic were pretty brutal and kind of annoying haha.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

What I liked about the Sonic water levels is that they maintained platforming gameplay, instead of "broken shmup where you don't shoot" gameplay of Super Mario and DKC.

Now what about those Megaman "water levels" ah ah?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Megaman X had an awesome water level. You jump through a whirlpool, sink a battleship, and ride a dragon! Also, the music is badass.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ZeroAX wrote:What I liked about the Sonic water levels is that they maintained platforming gameplay, instead of "broken shmup where you don't shoot" gameplay of Super Mario and DKC.

Now what about those Megaman "water levels" ah ah?

DKC water levels are some of the best around. I find Mario water levels plenty enjoyable too.

Sonic water levels can burn in hell though. I don't care that they maintain platforming gameplay, because they force you to do it at excruciatingly slow speeds.

I also have only played Megaman 2, 9 and 10, but I never had a problem with water levels in those games either. They were fun. They also maintain platforming mechanics much better than Sonic because they change the physics in a way that is significant (not just slower') and Megaman still moves at a decent pace along the ground.

I also quite like most water dungeons from the Legend of Zelda (the only problem with the Water Temple is the tedium of changing the water level and iron boots, actually being underwater isn't an issue at all).

The difficulty and suckiness of water levels is drastically overrated. They're generally a fun switch in the mechanics.

I also think the same thing about ice levels. I like the slidey aspect.

If there's one level type where I think 'fuck, this is gonna suck' when I reach it, it tends to be fire/volcano worlds.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

The water level near the end of DKC3 where the controls are reversed is absolute hell - I must have died 15 times at least. It really requires you to re-program your mind and fight against every instinct you've developed up to that point.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Retrogamer0001 wrote:The water level near the end of DKC3 where the controls are reversed is absolute hell - I must have died 15 times at least. It really requires you to re-program your mind and fight against every instinct you've developed up to that point.

Sounds like the....point 8) :lol:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?