Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
AppleQueso

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Post by AppleQueso »

Ziggy587 wrote:The DKC trilogy isn't on the VC? I know it isn't on the U (not many games are) but was it pulled from the Wii VC? They were on there once, I know because I gifted them to my brother's Wii for his birthday one year.

My guess with this was that whatever contract they had worked out for DKC had ended, and Nintendo just didn't feel like renewing it since they'd need to do another one for Wii U anyways.

I'm personally confident they'll show up on there eventually.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:My guess with this was that whatever contract they had worked out for DKC had ended, and Nintendo just didn't feel like renewing it since they'd need to do another one for Wii U anyways.

Yeah but wouldn't releasing them together with Tropical Freeze be the best opportunity they'd get for that?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

ZeroAX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:My guess with this was that whatever contract they had worked out for DKC had ended, and Nintendo just didn't feel like renewing it since they'd need to do another one for Wii U anyways.

Yeah but wouldn't releasing them together with Tropical Freeze be the best opportunity they'd get for that?

I think you overestimate Nintendo's penchant for doing things that make sense.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:I think you overestimate Nintendo's penchant for doing things that make sense.

They've been doing it with smash bros character announcements, would make even more sense to do it with VC games....just saying :P.

There was also this awesome promotion on the 3DS eshop, where if you bought the new Kirby game you got Kirby's Dream Land 2 (best Kirby game imo) for free.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

ZeroAX wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:I never liked that they replaced Rambi with Ellie. I mean, I can understand that maybe they wanted that new game play element (sucking up and spitting water with the trunk) and you can't have both. But Rambi was always every one's favorite animal buddy. The new game play element of Ellie was fun, but not at the expense of Rambi.

I understand that you prefer Rambi and I respect that, but at the same time Ellie's levels are completely different to Rambi's playstyle, so it wouldn't make sense to compare them directly.

I on the other hand missed the snake the most, and FFS wish they stopped using the parrot.

It would make sense to directly compare them because Ellie replaced Rambi as an animal buddy in the game. Just like Rattly (the snake) and Squitter replaced Winky Expresso, but no one carred. Winky was cool, but he didn't control all too great. Rattly controlled MUCH better and had the extra 'hold down the jump button' high jump. No one liked Expresso, and let's face it, even if we all did, Squitter is just a MUCH better animal buddy. Shooting webs at enemies, and creating webs to jump on... Honestly, Squitter is probably the best animal buddy they came up with, play-wise.

But yeah, they changed Rambi into Ellie, so I think it's perfectly fair to compare the two. We literally got one INSTEAD of the other. But like I said, I understand that they play different. And I really do like Ellie and how he (she?) plays. But Rambi was almost every body's favorite. Taking him out in place of some stupid elephant is probably what made a lot of people not like DKC3 right from the start. But like I said, me personally, I like the Ellie levels. Rambi was in two games, and Ellie was something new and fun.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I guess I'm more of a platform guy so I preferred the platforming puzzles Ellie was used for, instead of Rambi's "run into enemies and kill them" gameplay (though I know that there were some levels were you used him to kill buzzers to get to unreachable (for the kongs) places).

I don't know if the spider is my favorite since you spend too much time just making platforms. But I remember 1-2 puzzles with the spider's webs in DLC3 involving getting a barrel to roll down them to kill the DK coin kremling...that was nice :).

What's your opinion on the water level with the fish you have to keep feeding enemies to so it doesn't kill you?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

ZeroAX wrote:What's your opinion on the water level with the fish you have to keep feeding enemies to so it doesn't kill you?

When it starts I cringe and think "Dammit, not this level!" But after I start playing it, I get into it. It's a fun level.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Curse you ZeroAX, I may end up having to buy DK3 for the SNES! :lol:

I have been playing SNES version of Donkey Kong Country 2 and love it! Has anyone else had a problem jumping on the hooks in the Gangplank Galley level? This is the level right before the 1st game save at Kong College which really makes it frustrating. :?

I could not leap to all the hooks with Diddy, ended up playing as Dixie with the hover leaps. Really what gives, is there a way to make Diddy leap enough to hit all the hooks? A running jump or holding the button longer does not seem to have any difference. I am guessing hitting the jump right at the edge of a platform, but even then I usually miss that very last hook!

Agree with the earlier posts of the difference of the GBA and SNES versions. The SNES releases are so much more detailed! I do like a couple of the bonuses exclusive to the GBA versions though.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Ziggy587 wrote:When it starts I cringe and think "Dammit, not this level!" But after I start playing it, I get into it. It's a fun level.

I have the exact same feelings :lol: . At first I'm like "omg it's not bad enough that DKC water levels suck, now I have to feed the "dog" too"...but then quickly it changes to "hehehehehehehe, die you fucking sea creatures I normally can't kill, this is my revenge".

Which reminds me one major thing I dislike in DKC3 is that the water levels take place 100% inside the water. In DKC2 you spend plenty of time outsode the water too, making them a little bit bearable.

EDIT

CRTGAMER wrote:Curse you ZeroAX, I may end up having to buy DK3 for the SNES! :lol:

I have been playing SNES version of Donkey Kong Country 2 and love it! Has anyone else had a problem jumping on the hooks in the Gangplank Galley level? This is the level right before the 1st game save at Kong College which really makes it frustrating. :?

I could not leap to all the hooks with Diddy, ended up playing as Dixie with the hover leaps. Really what gives, is there a way to make Diddy leap enough to hit all the hooks? A running jump or holding the button longer does not seem to have any difference. I am guessing hitting the jump right at the edge of a platform, but even then I usually miss that very last hook!

Seriously you should, the game is amazing and it's pretty cheap (for an SNES game).

That's weird, I always found the jumps to be pretty easy to make. Maybe you are missing a hook in between that you don't notice? I'm pretty sure diddy can reach all hooks by himself, otherwise the game would be badly designed (and believe me, IT'S NOT :D). Are you holding down Y when making the jumps?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Because I think it's a feeling a lot people share about the water levels. In DKC, when you get up to a water level, you're like, "Ah, fuck, not a water level!" Me personally, after I start playing I get into though. But yeah, who likes water levels? SMB 1 and 3 water levels? No, thank you.

I've read that when they were making DKC2 they decided to make it a rule that they couldn't have any surreal water levels like in the first game. That's why we got those awesome levels in DKC2. They probably realized that while those levels are cool, they seem like such a drag to play. I guess that when they started working on the third game, that wasn't made a rule again. A great way to switch things up so all three games aren't too similar.