Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Ziggy

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote: Is Koolerstein(?) officially not K Rool and is his cousin/brother/twin or something? haha.

Same guy. He takes takes on a different persona in each game.

Xeogred wrote:I'd say DKC2 has the best final boss fight for sure. But I really liked how different DKC3's bosses were in general.

Yeah, DKC3 mixed it up a lot. That's why people either love it or hate it, I guess.

Did you beat Dr. K. Baron Roolenstein in the Lost World?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Not this time, but I've 100%'d both DKC2 and DKC3 back in the day, I recall both final boss fights in the Lost World's being tougher than the normal fights.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

dogman91 wrote:About 102 percent in DKC2: The DK coins you can take it or leave it; it has no real effect on the gameplay; just something extra to do if you want to keep exploring the levels. I will suggest you collect enough kremkoins to unlock the "secret" levels in the Lost World, which are pretty awesome. One is even a unique jungle level in terms of background art, music and an enemy not found elsewhere.

I know they are useless, but I love these games so much that not going for a complete playthrough feels like sacrilege. Not to mention we can't have Yoshi, Mario and Fucking Link, score higher than Diddy and Dixie 8)

Xeogred wrote:The GBA ports look horrifying! The graphics... the music... and I bet the controls are awkward. I've never had any interest whatsoever in trying those haha.

Might have to look into the Donkey Kong Land's though, if they're kind of a Megaman Xtreme case?

Actually DKC3 had almost on par graphics with the SNES version, but the music.....oh dear god
what they did to the music. Just youtube for DKC3 GBA music, or playthroughs of the stages.....never mind, here's the worst example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XHl5IQv0Fh0#t=77 eerie forest level? Let's give it a tropical beach music theme :roll:

Honestly, other than Donkey Kong Land 1 which was way worse than its console counterpart, I think that DKL2 and 3 are REALLY good games. And they are cheap on the 3DS virtual console, so why not? ;)

I'm also kind of surprised a fan of the series hasn't tried them out :lol:

Exhuminator wrote:Check out the Donkey Kong Country games on GBA for replays. There are some differences there like extra mini-games, sub-games and new gameplay modes.

which all suck imo :/. Really, I just found them annoying, and I think in DKC2 GBA the helicopter mini game was mandatory or something? bah

Xeogred wrote:My problem with both the bonus stages and DK coins in both DKC2/DKC3, is when they start becoming one-shot deals. If you mess up once, you have to replay the whole level to try again and hope you get it that time. Gets kind of tedious.

Die or if you've already beaten the level, press start and then select? :P
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

ZeroAX wrote:Not to mention we can't have Yoshi, Mario and Fucking Link, score higher than Diddy and Dixie

And why did Sonic take his fucking shoes off? :lol:

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Haha oh wow, and that looks like Earthworm Jim's gun.

ZeroAX wrote:Honestly, other than Donkey Kong Land 1 which was way worse than its console counterpart, I think that DKL2 and 3 are REALLY good games. And they are cheap on the 3DS virtual console, so why not? ;)

I'm also kind of surprised a fan of the series hasn't tried them out :lol:

Never knew they existed! I'll have to look into them.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

It's cute that Nintendo tried to copy SEGA's in your face attitude, eh? :lol:

I'm guessing you were one of the 6 kids in the world who owned an SNES but not a Gameboy Xeogred? :lol:

I on the other hand owned a Gameboy but not an SNES till much later, so till I found out about emulators, black and green it was for me...at least it did lead to the pleasant surprise of also buying Donkey Kong GB....even if it took me 15 years to get to beating that one :lol:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

ZeroAX wrote:I'm guessing you were one of the 6 kids in the world who owned an SNES but not a Gameboy Xeogred? :lol:

Nope! Gameboy was not allowed in my childhood and this is not a joke. My parents ridiculed my gaming habits most of my childhood, though I was lucky enough to have a TV in my room after awhile. But they figured if I ever owned a Gameboy, I would never stop playing games, ever, and that's constantly what I would be doing. There was one Christmas once where my aunt and uncle bought me a Gameboy pocket, and my dad took it away without me even opening it/etc. Definitely one of the dickest moves he's done! I eventually got it, but this was literally years later when it didn't even matter anymore and I can't even remember how I got it, Link's Awakening and Metroid II are the only Gameboy games I've ever owned. When I was older (N64 era probably) there was one point where my dad said, if I could save up an allowance and buy a Gameboy Color or whatever myself, then I could have one. But that was the only exception. I always liked consoles more anyways, so I remember buying Ocarina of Time one summer and probably other stuff instead.

This even went into the GBA time, so I never owned one of those either. My first real official handheld was the DS, which I don't look back on fondly at all. Wasted my money on the PSP too.

It's probably this experience and neck troubles that I've had off and on, that have permanently made me pretty apathetic about handheld gaming. If the DS Castlevania games come to the Wii U VC, then I will probably never touch my DS ever again.

Don't get me wrong though, there's a lot of GB and GBA games I've managed to play over the years via emulation and that I really like a lot, Link's Awakening, the Capcom Zelda's, Megaman V, Megaman Xtreme 1-2, and the GBA had tons of good stuff. But yep.

Bet you weren't expecting that... :lol:

So you can imagine I was pretty envious when everyone around me had GB's, were so into the original Pokemon games, and the Game Gear always blew my mind when I saw one. Untouchable things for my childhood.

Fast forward to now and my mom is pretty much a FB addict always on the computer and my dad is obsessed with tablets/phones. And I don't really like smart phones and everyone being a drone to them. Go figure. :roll:
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Thank god I didn't have unreasonable parents like that. NOW look... their inhibition caused your current obsession with retro gaming. :P (joke)

My cousin REALLY had it bad back then; no Pokemon allowed because it was seen "encouraging to kill animals" and basically nothing that is even remotely violent was tolerated (so, pretty much, all video games). Didn't seem to matter anyway cuz now he's a drug addict. Good job, parents.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

dogman91 wrote:Thank god I didn't have unreasonable parents like that. NOW look... their inhibition caused your current obsession with retro gaming. :P (joke)

My cousin REALLY had it bad back then; no Pokemon allowed because it was seen "encouraging to kill animals" and basically nothing that is even remotely violent was tolerated (so, pretty much, all video games). Didn't seem to matter anyway cuz now he's a drug addict. Good job, parents.

Yikes on the second part, although Pokemon was kind of forbidden to me for awhile too... because evolution! Same with X-Men, that was one I was never allowed to get into, but Spiderman was fine. Of course I saw a lot of this stuff elsewhere with friends and all, so yeah...

My parents aren't very religious anymore at all either. Crazy parent phases ... lol
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

Yes! I love DK3. One of my favorite platformers of all time! I've never actually beat the game though. I remember getting as far the cavern levels where you control the parot.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam