Best modern and retro 3d action/adventure/puzzle platformers

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
darsparx
Next-Gen

Best modern and retro 3d action/adventure/puzzle platformers

Post by darsparx »

Ok I know this may have been asked before but I didn't see it and I've been wondering this for awhile. I've tried googling it and I just can't seem to find games like this anymore. I know there's all the ones for the older systems like tak, jak and daxter, ratchet and clank, and spyro(trilogy) from those. But the problem is I want something modern to play as well whether it's on wii(and eventually wii u), ps4, vita, or even ds(not including the tak titles on there that i'm going to attempt to get....maybe some 3ds titles here as well since I really want to get a 3ds soon...there's too many good games I want to play rpg and otherwise). But besides mario, zelda, sonic, and some of the other series that have been going on for ages. Or am I stuck in this hope without something new to play in the 3d 3rd person perspective for a platformer that isn't a existing series?

So far:

- Lobodestroyo
- Kore Gang
- Physconauts
- DK 64
- Portal 1 & 2
Last edited by darsparx on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: Best modern action/adventure platformers?

Post by Violent By Design »

What makes something an action platformer? Platform games are either action or puzzle, are they not :o?

Is this just another name for 3D platformer?
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Violent By Design wrote:What makes something an action platformer? Platform games are either action or puzzle, are they not :o?

Is this just another name for 3D platformer?

Well I was really just meaning I was looking for a new 3d game or series that's not a sequel/spin-off of a series i've already played or know of. It just seems like there's so many 2d ones but for some odd reason I really have a craving for the 3d ones. Especially like those that came out in the 90's so far the only one that is going to seemingly fill this is lobodestroyo, but besides that I haven't heard of many others. I didn't know if anyone else had heard of any knew ones since I'd already googled and really didn't find anything...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Try The Kore Gang on the Wii. It is a fun, original - and very inexpensive - 3D platformer that I think you will enjoy.

EDIT: Also, you may want to try out Psychonauts if you have not already. If I recall correctly, it is one of this year's "Together Retro" titles, and I can confirm that it is a great game.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Huh didn't even hear about kore gang...will definitely give that one a go, and had nearly forgotten about physconauts....looks like I'll be getting that one on ps2 when the system gets here. At least now i know of 3 games that aren't already popular series so I have some to check out.
My gameroom

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Kya: Dark Lineage is also supposed to be good, and I enjoyed the limited time I spent with it. I-Ninja, The Legend of Kay, and Vexx are also supposed to be good, but I do not yet own any of them.

Finally, Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars for the Wii is supposedly a very solid action/adventure 3D platformer, and it can acquired at Gamestop for very little money. (I own a copy, but I have not yet spent any time with it.)

If I think of any more, I will post them here.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Geez I think I may edit the first post with these :lol: I had never heard of any of these and any google search I've done hadn't turned any of these up.
My gameroom

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Cool. I will be incorporating some games to my collection tonight; so, if I see any I overlooked, I will be sure to add them.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

+1 for Kya - My niece and I controller-swapped through a lot of this game and had a lot of fun.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2013 ... atformers/

^ semi answered the question, but it is kinda sad that this genre of 3d platfomer(whether it be a action, adventure, puzzle or combination of the 3) has kinda died out since the 90's it was great having tons of these games around then...
My gameroom