Let's list the best modern platformers!

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: Let's list the best modern platformers!

Post by Violent By Design »

Megaman 9 and 10 are pretty awesome, well at least 9 was.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Retrogamer0001 wrote:I'm quite partial to Alice: Madness Returns, though it's more of a third-person action game with platformer elements (i.e. a LOT of jumping).

I'm going to add that to my list to check out...that is one of the big types of games I'm really looking for in this modern age. There's not many games that are the action adventure platformers like jak & daxter, spyro(trilogy), ratchet & clank, and tak(yes I do have to mention that one because I enjoy it especially since I'm replaying tak and the power of juju right now). I almost wanted to start a new topic to ask that because it kinda bugs me there's no series like those coming out right now :-\
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
kelsoanim
32-bit

Post by kelsoanim »

Okay, you all convinced me to break them out into 3 categories: platformer, action platformer and puzzle platformer.
darsparx wrote:I'm going to add that to my list to check out...that is one of the big types of games I'm really looking for in this modern age. There's not many games that are the action adventure platformers like jak & daxter, spyro(trilogy), ratchet & clank, and tak(yes I do have to mention that one because I enjoy it especially since I'm replaying tak and the power of juju right now). I almost wanted to start a new topic to ask that because it kinda bugs me there's no series like those coming out right now :-\

I'm with you darsparx. Action Platformers are one of my favorite genres. Too bad there aren't more of them out there these days. There are still a fair amount though. I am guessing you are leaning more towards the 3D games though, right?
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
My Game Room - My Game Collection
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

kelsoanim wrote:Okay, you all convinced me to break them out into 3 categories: platformer, action platformer and puzzle platformer.
I'm with you darsparx. Action Platformers are one of my favorite genres. Too bad there aren't more of them out there these days. There are still a fair amount though. I am guessing you are leaning more towards the 3D games though, right?

For the most part, yes. Don't get me wrong the 2d ones(or 2d with 3d graphics only following the second dimension) are fun and I'll definitely play them(which expands my list of games I want) but it seems the devs have gone on to different things and don't care for the type of games some of us still want :lol:. But you definitely have to give those 3 sub-categories their own rights, they're definitely great ones. I especially enjoy them in true 3d perspective ;) (even though I do want the dkc's I don't own and hope maybe the next dkc is full on 3d like dk64 was(great game by the way))
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Castlevania: LoS 3? You mean 1, 2, and Mirror of Fate I assume?

Also, I would add the Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands for PS3. When I had my first CFW PS3 I played it for a while... I should go find a copy of it for real-real, that was an awesome game.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread