Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
User avatar
graffix_13
64-bit
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Super Metroid

by graffix_13 Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:29 am

Omerta wrote:
flojocabron wrote:The wall jump maneuver is your friend. Learn it. Love it. The world will be yours.


Do you need any upgrades to your suit before you can 'wall jump'? Or can you do it from the start?
User avatar
Omerta
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Omicron Persei 8

Re: Super Metroid

by Omerta Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 am

graffix_13 wrote:Do you need any upgrades to your suit before you can 'wall jump'? Or can you do it from the start?


You can do it right away. It's just horribly frustrating to master for some people. But if you get it down, you can reach some interesting places and get out of some hairy situations.

Also, after you tear through SM and decide you can't play it anymore, I highly recommend moving on to Metroid Fusion on the GBA or playing a ROM hack of SM called "Super Metroid Redesign". You can play it on an emulator, but many prefer it as a repro on SNES hardware.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
User avatar
CavZee
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:53 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Super Metroid

by CavZee Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 pm

I played it for the first time due to the $.30 deal on the Wii U VC. Wall jumping was definitely sort've awkward to pull off at first but you get the timing down fairly quick.
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22094
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Super Metroid

by MrPopo Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:16 pm

CavZee wrote:I played it for the first time due to the $.30 deal on the Wii U VC. Wall jumping was definitely sort've awkward to pull off at first but you get the timing down fairly quick.

The thing that makes wall jumping so tricky to pull off is there's no stickiness to it. Your spin jump maintains the same level of horizontal maneuverability throughout the maneuver so you have to have the right timing on when Samus turns away from the wall. Compare with Fusion and Zero Mission where you hitch up on the wall for a fraction of a second, making the timing much easier.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
Omerta
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Omicron Persei 8

Re: Super Metroid

by Omerta Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:10 pm

MrPopo wrote:The thing that makes wall jumping so tricky to pull off is there's no stickiness to it. Your spin jump maintains the same level of horizontal maneuverability throughout the maneuver so you have to have the right timing on when Samus turns away from the wall. Compare with Fusion and Zero Mission where you hitch up on the wall for a fraction of a second, making the timing much easier.


Agreed.

It may be a heresy to say so in Metroid fan circles, but I actually preferred Fusion to SM. Fusion is much easier to get into and the GBAs limited buttons proved that the formula could be less complicated. I also enjoyed the way the level design flowed together a bit more than SM.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4510
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Super Metroid

by Gunstar Green Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Omerta wrote:It may be a heresy to say so in Metroid fan circles, but I actually preferred Fusion to SM. Fusion is much easier to get into and the GBAs limited buttons proved that the formula could be less complicated. I also enjoyed the way the level design flowed together a bit more than SM.


I like Fusion for the same reasons. I understand why some Super Metroid fans are so hard on it but it doesn't change the fact that it's a brilliantly made game in every area.
User avatar
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Super Metroid

by Retrogamer0001 Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:37 am

I like both Fusion and Super Metroid, but Super Metroid can't be touched in my opinion...it's probably nostalgia speaking, but if I want the best Metroid experience, my mind immediately goes to the SNES.
Image

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
AppleQueso
 

Re: Super Metroid

by AppleQueso Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:45 am

The way Super Metroid's level progression is based entirely on your upgrades made the entire game's flow feel much more organic than Fusion's.

Fusion is a good game, but it doesn't touch SM.
User avatar
8bit
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 pm
Location: Houston TX

Re: Super Metroid

by 8bit Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:44 am

Omerta wrote:
flojocabron wrote:Yeah, that damn wall jump with the green birds pissed me off a lot too back in the day.


Some advice to a new Super Metroid lover:

The wall jump maneuver is your friend. Learn it. Love it. The world will be yours.


Too bad its a fucking pain in the ass. I can do it successfully only 1/5 times I try and I can never get it down enough to be able to chain them together. I don't know how people got the hang of it. Maybe its easier on the SNES than on the Wii U where I am finally trying to play through the game.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread | My Collection Spreadsheet
User avatar
graffix_13
64-bit
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Super Metroid

by graffix_13 Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:37 am

I've been practicing my wall jump now since reading the last few posts here. I think I've hit it like twice, but the hardest thing for me is get Samus to do a spin jump. She usually just jumps normal (staying straight) and not spinning.
Return to Platformers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests