Super Metroid

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Super Metroid

Post by Gunstar Green »

Once you nail the wall jump timing it's not so hard.

If you want Samus to spin you have to be holding the direction (left or right) before you jump. If you press the direction after you jump she won't spin. If you want to wall jump successfully you've got to push the direction opposite to the wall before you jump.

This goes against all of your Mega Man X instincts that keep you wanting to hug the wall and that's part of what makes it so hard for some people.

It doesn't really matter too much. I think there's only one part in the entire game where you absolutely need to use it and that's the part where the little animal guys are showing you how to do it.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

Gunstar Green wrote:Once you nail the wall jump timing it's not so hard.

If you want Samus to spin you have to be holding the direction (left or right) before you jump. If you press the direction after you jump she won't spin. If you want to wall jump successfully you've got to push the direction opposite to the wall before you jump.

This goes against all of your Mega Man X instincts that keep you wanting to hug the wall and that's part of what makes it so hard for some people.

It doesn't really matter too much. I think there's only one part in the entire game where you absolutely need to use it and that's the part where the little animal guys are showing you how to do it.

Awesome, thank you. I knew it had to be something simple that I just wasn't doing. Things don't just "happen" by chance, lol.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

MrPopo wrote:There are a couple ways to get yourself stuck, but it involves you intentionally trying to get through large portions of the game without key items (items that every player will automatically get unless they are intentionally trying to avoid them).

There is also one area of the game where you can get stuck in due to an inability to perform the wall jump maneuver to ascend a pit. But you have to go out of your way to even get there.

I think I found this very place last night. I got the x-ray beam and have been doing a little backtracking (trying to get the charge beam, which I somehow missed) and I found a secret area with an energy tank sitting in a hallway. Well I didn't use my beam to look ahead and I fell right through the floor before getting to the tank. Tried to make my way back around and ran into 3 little dancing goblins (which my first instinct was to blast away) and they started wall jumping up the vertical corridor. I was like "Uh oh, this is the infamous part they were talking about on racketboy...."

I made the first wall jump after (many) attempts and was able to morph into a ball and roll back to the hallway. Using my xray vision I was able to see where the floor fell out this time. Wasn't 100% sure I'd make the jump though since the corridor is pretty tight and sure enough I hit my head and fell back down. Ah well. Saved at the save station right below and I'll give it another shot tonight.

Regardless, this game is really getting fun as I get more upgrades. I usually play this for 30min or so before I go to bed on my SupaBoy and last night was one of those nights where I looked at the clock and couldn't believe how much time had passed while playing this. That is a sign of a good, engrossing game!
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

....And finished! Great game. I only completed at 73%, but I wasn't too worried about getting all the missle upgrades (just the energy tanks).

I wish the game was a bit longer. Overall it was pretty easy, the only real problem I had (and I would hardly call it a 'problem') was with Crocomire. I just kept running out of missles before I could get him to back into the bridge. So I just switched up my tactics and used Super Missles first and then regular missles. Seemed to work. Draygon was a bitch too, until I figured out to use the grappling beam on one of the missle turrents. And then he was MY bitch.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

For Crocomire, if you used charged shots instead of missiles he'll move back further per shot.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

MrPopo wrote:For Crocomire, if you used charged shots instead of missiles he'll move back further per shot.

Yep, that was the problem though....I missed the charged beam on my initial run. I debated about just starting a new game, or looking for it (but I really didn't want to use a guide to find out where it was).

I eventually got it. I can't believe I missed it the first time, as it wasn't that hard to find.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You went through the entire game without the charge beam? And it wasn't a low-% run? Crazy.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

MrPopo wrote:You went through the entire game without the charge beam? And it wasn't a low-% run? Crazy.

Get this guy some shmups and have him join us -- he'd be the new DocHauser :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

MrPopo wrote:You went through the entire game without the charge beam? And it wasn't a low-% run? Crazy.

Haha, no. Sorry, I improperly worded my post. I meant that I had missed the charge beam when I had the first opportunity to get it. Shortly after beating Croc, I went back and found it.

I had to use it a few times. Even on Mother Brain's second form I ran out of missiles and had to use it.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Thread rez.

So I got an SNES mini and even though my first instinct was to play the games I already knew and loved (hello there Megaman X 8) ), I decided to start playing this game instead. I have never beaten Super Metroid, I've played about 1 hour each time and then quit on my playthrough. This is mostly because I only ever experienced the game via emulations, which meant that my stave states/files were very easily discarded.

I'm about 2 hours in (and got myself extremely lost, till I realized that there's a fucking sprint button :lol: ) and really enjoying this game.

Some first thoughts: even though I'm a huge Symphony of the Night and Dawn of Sorrow fan, I have to admit in most ways Super Metroid is the superior game. It feels that the game is more about exploration. The level design is very refined. There's a lot more platforming than Castlevania, and the enemies feel more like proper obstacles, instead of being there just to fill a specific screen with something to do.

The power ups (other than the super missiles) are all useful and do something different, and the game is very well balanced when it comes to backtracking. I never feel lost (except for that freaking sprinting part) but I also am never quite so sure where I'm headed.

It's kind of sad, but i feel this game hasn't been bested in its genre. Mind you I haven't played Fusion either.

If there's one thing that castlevania does way better though are the aesthetics. I know this is by design, since they want to give you the vibe that you're a lonely space bounty hunter exploring an alient world, but I just much prefer the level graphics, monster designs, and most of all, EPIC music from castlevania. There are barely any memorable tracks in metroid.

But overall a great game, and I'm really happy to have finally "found it". Let's see how long it takes me to beat :). I'm trying to avoid using any guides
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.