Super Metroid

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
graffix_13
64-bit

Re: Super Metroid

Post by graffix_13 »

Omerta wrote:
flojocabron wrote:The wall jump maneuver is your friend. Learn it. Love it. The world will be yours.

Do you need any upgrades to your suit before you can 'wall jump'? Or can you do it from the start?
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

graffix_13 wrote:Do you need any upgrades to your suit before you can 'wall jump'? Or can you do it from the start?

You can do it right away. It's just horribly frustrating to master for some people. But if you get it down, you can reach some interesting places and get out of some hairy situations.

Also, after you tear through SM and decide you can't play it anymore, I highly recommend moving on to Metroid Fusion on the GBA or playing a ROM hack of SM called "Super Metroid Redesign". You can play it on an emulator, but many prefer it as a repro on SNES hardware.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

I played it for the first time due to the $.30 deal on the Wii U VC. Wall jumping was definitely sort've awkward to pull off at first but you get the timing down fairly quick.
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

CavZee wrote:I played it for the first time due to the $.30 deal on the Wii U VC. Wall jumping was definitely sort've awkward to pull off at first but you get the timing down fairly quick.

The thing that makes wall jumping so tricky to pull off is there's no stickiness to it. Your spin jump maintains the same level of horizontal maneuverability throughout the maneuver so you have to have the right timing on when Samus turns away from the wall. Compare with Fusion and Zero Mission where you hitch up on the wall for a fraction of a second, making the timing much easier.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

MrPopo wrote:The thing that makes wall jumping so tricky to pull off is there's no stickiness to it. Your spin jump maintains the same level of horizontal maneuverability throughout the maneuver so you have to have the right timing on when Samus turns away from the wall. Compare with Fusion and Zero Mission where you hitch up on the wall for a fraction of a second, making the timing much easier.

Agreed.

It may be a heresy to say so in Metroid fan circles, but I actually preferred Fusion to SM. Fusion is much easier to get into and the GBAs limited buttons proved that the formula could be less complicated. I also enjoyed the way the level design flowed together a bit more than SM.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Omerta wrote:It may be a heresy to say so in Metroid fan circles, but I actually preferred Fusion to SM. Fusion is much easier to get into and the GBAs limited buttons proved that the formula could be less complicated. I also enjoyed the way the level design flowed together a bit more than SM.

I like Fusion for the same reasons. I understand why some Super Metroid fans are so hard on it but it doesn't change the fact that it's a brilliantly made game in every area.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

I like both Fusion and Super Metroid, but Super Metroid can't be touched in my opinion...it's probably nostalgia speaking, but if I want the best Metroid experience, my mind immediately goes to the SNES.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

The way Super Metroid's level progression is based entirely on your upgrades made the entire game's flow feel much more organic than Fusion's.

Fusion is a good game, but it doesn't touch SM.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

Omerta wrote:
flojocabron wrote:Yeah, that damn wall jump with the green birds pissed me off a lot too back in the day.

Some advice to a new Super Metroid lover:

The wall jump maneuver is your friend. Learn it. Love it. The world will be yours.

Too bad its a fucking pain in the ass. I can do it successfully only 1/5 times I try and I can never get it down enough to be able to chain them together. I don't know how people got the hang of it. Maybe its easier on the SNES than on the Wii U where I am finally trying to play through the game.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

I've been practicing my wall jump now since reading the last few posts here. I think I've hit it like twice, but the hardest thing for me is get Samus to do a spin jump. She usually just jumps normal (staying straight) and not spinning.