Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12419
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Shovel Knight

by J T Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 pm

ZeroAX wrote:I am disappointed to see gog sales so low :(. I bought it as a gift from that site and I think we should really be more supporting of their no-DRM philosophy.


This sad fact has led me to go buy the game from GOG right now, even though I was waiting for a sale. I've been dying to play this game anyway.

The game had terrible release timing on GOG. It came out during their giant summer sale, so there wasn't a headlining banner until the sale was over, and at that point, everyone had spent all their moneys on sale titles. I'm sure it will sell a bunch of copies there as soon as they have a featured sale.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Shovel Knight

by ZeroAX Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:54 pm

J T wrote:This sad fact has led me to go buy the game from GOG right now, even though I was waiting for a sale. I've been dying to play this game anyway.

The game had terrible release timing on GOG. It came out during their giant summer sale, so there wasn't a headlining banner until the sale was over, and at that point, everyone had spent all their moneys on sale titles. I'm sure it will sell a bunch of copies there as soon as they have a featured sale.


The exact same thing happened on steam, but they still sold units there. I just think that most people don't even know about gog :(. Even friends of mine who buy indie games prefer to buy on steam cause of the client :/
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12419
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Shovel Knight

by J T Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:09 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
J T wrote:This sad fact has led me to go buy the game from GOG right now, even though I was waiting for a sale. I've been dying to play this game anyway.

The game had terrible release timing on GOG. It came out during their giant summer sale, so there wasn't a headlining banner until the sale was over, and at that point, everyone had spent all their moneys on sale titles. I'm sure it will sell a bunch of copies there as soon as they have a featured sale.


The exact same thing happened on steam, but they still sold units there. I just think that most people don't even know about gog :(. Even friends of mine who buy indie games prefer to buy on steam cause of the client :/


Hopefully GOG's upcoming Galaxy client will help them out, especially since it is supposed to link you up with your Steam friends.

http://www.gog.com/galaxy
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14248
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Shovel Knight

by Xeogred Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:12 pm

That needs to hurry up and come out. I'll probably uninstall Steam then.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 22954
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Shovel Knight

by dsheinem Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Xeogred wrote:That needs to hurry up and come out. I'll probably uninstall Steam then.


Image
BST|Writing|Music
"I hope in the upcoming months you'll find parties which conform to your expectations."
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Shovel Knight

by ZeroAX Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:24 am

dsheinem wrote:
Xeogred wrote:That needs to hurry up and come out. I'll probably uninstall Steam then.


Image


At least CDProject got to number 3 in their games :P
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
Cronozilla
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA.

Re: Shovel Knight

by Cronozilla Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:50 am

Depending on how you count, you could say they've gotten to 3 multiple times.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20482
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Shovel Knight

by Ack Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:32 am

Eh, GOG is still only a relatively small percentage of the PC market, even if it is the second most successful digital distribution platform(Humble isn't a platform, and many of its games are through Steam).

Part of the reason why Shovel Knight didn't sell as well there may have to do with GOG's weirdly shifting focus though. They've gone to a service that offers a lot of older games for cheap to a service that offers a lot of indie games for cheap with the occasional older one thrown in. I very rarely buy newer games on GOG because I'm there for the older stuff. And GOG doesn't offer a lot of the side stuff that Steam does. Sure, on GOG we get Shovel Knight and some 'making of' type stuff. On Steam, we get achievements, guides, the ability to take and show off screenshots, Steam trading cards(which includes game-specific icons and backgrounds for our Steam profiles)...

Yeah, GOG needs to put out Galaxy to have some way to compete with this, by offering things Steam doesn't have while catching the things Steam does best and adopting them, namely letting folks easily play together and chat online.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Shovel Knight

by ZeroAX Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 am

Ack wrote: On Steam, we get achievements, guides, the ability to take and show off screenshots, Steam trading cards(which includes game-specific icons and backgrounds for our Steam profiles)...


You mentioned all the useless stuff steam offers and didn't mention the only ones that matter, cloud saves and mod sharing :lol:
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20482
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Shovel Knight

by Ack Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 am

ZeroAX wrote:
Ack wrote: On Steam, we get achievements, guides, the ability to take and show off screenshots, Steam trading cards(which includes game-specific icons and backgrounds for our Steam profiles)...


You mentioned all the useless stuff steam offers and didn't mention the only ones that matter, cloud saves and mod sharing :lol:


Yeah, I intentionally left those off, as those are some of the things I like. I meant to be a bit tongue in cheek about why Steam dominates. You know, trading cards that dictate how many friends I can have, achievements that have no oversight whatsoever and don't have to work, and guides written in Russian are the perks.

Oh, and screenshots, which I use to track weird and awesome bugs I find in Killing Floor, like the time the hospital map textures freaked out and got replaced by blood textures. Everybody else in the map wondered why I kept ranting about bleeding walls and weeping. Then they saw the pictures.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Platformers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest