Shovel Knight

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Shovel Knight

Post by emwearz »

Awesome!

This game looks like it will be in a Indie Bundle pretty soon.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

emwearz wrote:Awesome!

This game looks like it will be in a Indie Bundle pretty soon.

Source?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

My personal opinion.

It is an Indie game, it is on Steam, pretty much all you need to be in a bundle lately.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

More importantly, it is on GOG.

DRM FREE 4EVA! :D
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Just played through it on 3DS and it was pretty fantastic. I hadn't really paid any attention to this game before so it was a pleasant surprise.

I truly feel like the game takes many of the best 8-bit game design elements and puts them together to create something great. It's not just another pretender in old-school clothing. It stands on top of the classics as something new, exciting and polished instead of hiding in their shadows.

The level designs are top-notch, the bosses are fast and unpredictable, the music is crazy good and the characters are loveable and well-developed. Even though humor is the focus most of the time, the story will tug at a few heart strings.

The difficulty is pretty well balanced and curves nicely through the end of the game. It's not going to make a Mega Man or Castlevania veteran sweat but you're not going to go through the game without dying quite a few times. The checkpoint system is handled brilliantly, letting you make the game as easy or as hard has you want and making you drop gold instead of lose lives works really well.

I've played a lot of "8-bit" homage games and most of them end up feeling kind of hollow. Something about Shovel Knight is different. Every retro gamer should play this.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Around how long did it take you to beat the game?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Got a little over 5 hours myself.

Longer than any CoD game, basically.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Gunstar Green wrote:I've played a lot of "8-bit" homage games and most of them end up feeling kind of hollow. Something about Shovel Knight is different. Every retro gamer should play this.

I've spent about an hour and a half or so with it (3DS) and I couldn't agree more. This is a wonderful game that is thoroughly enjoyable, exceedingly well made, and one of the highlights of the year thus far.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

dsheinem wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:I've played a lot of "8-bit" homage games and most of them end up feeling kind of hollow. Something about Shovel Knight is different. Every retro gamer should play this.

I've spent about an hour and a half or so with it (3DS) and I couldn't agree more. This is a wonderful game that is thoroughly enjoyable, exceedingly well made, and one of the highlights of the year thus far.

Glad you enjoyed it. I need to play it some more. I have gone through the first 3-4 dungeons.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I pirated the gog version to try it out. It's amazing. Release it on the EU e-shop already :evil:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.