Shovel Knight

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
CavZee
Next-Gen

Re: Shovel Knight

Post by CavZee »

jay_red wrote:I beat it last week with a little over 7 hours clocked. I honestly can't think of anything I did not like about the game. The difficulty at the end was high, but never unfair. I jumped right into new game + as soon as I beat it, and that is pretty rare for me.

I'm seriously thinking about another playthrough myself. I usually wait a year or so before I replay something but...I just might have to keep playing this game. XD
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

ZeroAX wrote:
Xeogred wrote:10 sequels please.

Enough with the Megaman comparisons :lol:

I'd play them all and love them all!

Except 7. Megaman 7... X7... it's destined to be bad.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

So I just finished it up a moment ago. Great game! I think I might try to get all the achievements in this one.

So you know how when you beat a boss in SMB 3 and the wand fell from the sky? I wasn't the only one that always tried to catch it before it hit the ground by the way they have shield knight falling it seems like the same thing. I really liked that touch and always brought a smile to my face.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

flex wood wrote:So I just finished it up a moment ago. Great game! I think I might try to get all the achievements in this one.

So you know how when you beat a boss in SMB 3 and the wand fell from the sky? I wasn't the only one that always tried to catch it before it hit the ground by the way they have shield knight falling it seems like the same thing. I really liked that touch and always brought a smile to my face.

I didn't see it that way, but now that you mention it, maybe. There are loads of little touches like that from so many popular NES games. The Duck Tales pogo, the Kirby's Adventure-style wall explosions, the SMB3/Bionic Commando world map with traveling enemies, the Castlevania relics, the Mega Man just about everything and probably a thousand other things I'm forgetting or missed.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Zelda II towns...

They may as well called it NES Knight Man or something. lol, perfection.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I think I'm getting tired of the fifty thousand retro throwback 2d platform games clogging up every digital download gaming service. I finished the first two levels of Shovel Knight and I'm already bored. I've seen everything this game does before

This retro craze, wish people would do something NEW with these old formulas instead of just recycling them over and over again.

This is why I haven't played anything over the past month, just feel like it's always the same old thing whenever I play something
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Gamerforlife wrote:I think I'm getting tired of the fifty thousand retro throwback 2d platform games clogging up every digital download gaming service.

I partially feel that way too and was ultra-cynical about Shovel Knight but I ended up really enjoying it.

To me it did do something new by combining a lot of older things. From a design standpoint everything is rock solid.

If there's one thing I'm totally sick of it's these "brutally had" one-hit-kill platformers with lots of beginner's traps and gotcha' moments and tiny levels/checkpoints that all have retro graphics. Enough of those already. Stop pretending that's what retro games were actually like, developers.

But you know, I also look at games like Dust: An Elysium Tail and Muramasa: The Demon Blade which sort of have the graphics I imagined video games would eventually have when I was a kid. I do feel like 2D games can and should evolve beyond the retro-mindset. Pixel-art has its place but the 2D art and animation we're capable of today can speak for itself.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Gamerforlife wrote:[USER WAS INSTANTLY BANNED]
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Apparently it did pretty well 8)

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

I am disappointed to see gog sales so low :(. I bought it as a gift from that site and I think we should really be more supporting of their no-DRM philosophy.

In other news, GET IT OUT ON THE EU 3DS shop already so I can buy a copy for myself too. :evil:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Shovel Knight is a love letter to 8-bit era Nintendo, so it just feels right playing it on a Nintendo platform.