Retro DS Platformers

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Retro DS Platformers

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

flojocabron wrote:Devilish

This is certainly a retro game on the DS, but I am not sure that I would classify it as a platformer. Is it more like a horror-themed Breakout with enemies. (It is to Breakout what Devil's Crush is to pinball.)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Surprised no one has mentioned Sonic Collection, Sonic Colors, & Sonic Attack games. Too obvious lol?

Just ordered Sonic Collection for $13 new. It has all 4 Genesis Sonic games + the 2 lock on abilities for 2 & 3. Seems legit.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

No one's mentioned BarnYard Blast? Guess I'll have to.
This is a killer game in the vain of Castlevania and Mega Man. You play as a pig named Robert Belmart who has to save his son Cliffy Belmart from certain doom. You start off with four weapons and gain a magic spell after you defeat a boss. While not as hard as the aforementioned Castlevania, Barnyard Blast does pack a challenge. In addition to classic platforming gameplay there is a good amount of comedy focusing on the silliness of the plot (e.g. Cliffy got into trouble because he TPed the nearby haunted castle) and video game references. It's pretty hit or miss, but it does compliment the game's style.

EDIT: You also can't go wrong with a game that has a weapon called The Slayer. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

They keep coming to me lol... super Princess Peach & the legendary starfy!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Here's a new one that I emulated recently. Not exactly retro, but it does give off a castlevania vibe. I wouldn't mind owning it.

I believe its also on the 3DS as well.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Jagosaurus wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Sonic Collection, Sonic Colors, & Sonic Attack games. Too obvious lol?

Just ordered Sonic Collection for $13 new. It has all 4 Genesis Sonic games + the 2 lock on abilities for 2 & 3. Seems legit.

So here is the thing: I don't know anything first hand about the Sonic Collection but I have heard that they are emulated poorly. When it was released it was generally thought as a rip off at the starting price point because it offered nothing but the 4 games on top of shoddy emulation.

As for the other Sonic games I own them and they are freakin' great. Sonic Rush, Rush Adventures and Colors. Good stuff.