ExRare people want to make Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

ExRare people want to make Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor

Post by ZeroAX »

A ragtag crew of ex-Rare staff have joined forces on Twitter to rally up support for a "spiritual successor" to Banjo-Tooie.

The enclave, @MingyJongo, is comprised of series composer Grant Kirkhope and artist Steven Hurst, among others. Its Twitter profile stated, "Let's make the spiritual successor to Banjo-Tooie! Core members of the original team are ready to go. All we need is your support. So join us today!"

"I'm thinking 3D platformer," noted the account, and it clarified that its goal "wouldn't be to try and recreate Banjo. It would be something new." This is at least in part because Rare still owns the rights to the Banjo license.

Mingy Jongo also seemed intrigued by Kickstarter. "If this is anything to go by, then maybe Kickstarter is the way to go for our game?" it said in reference to a Eurogamer article on Project Eternity.

The account also expressed interest in Unity. "Unity will probably be perfect for our spiritual successor. I'm thinking keeping level of detail and googly eyes close to the original."

The question remains; is this something people would still be interested in?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-26-ex-rare-staff-rally-up-twitter-support-for-banjo-tooie-spiritual-successor

https://twitter.com/MingyJongo

If this turns out real, it's going to be the first kickstarter project I'll be supporting (just make sure it also comes out on Nintendo platforms)

EDIT

It would be wonderful if Rare sold them the license to make it official. It's not like it's being put to any good use....(might as well sell them the company name and old logo :lol: )

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Dib
8-bit

Re: ExRare people want to make Banjo Kazooie spiritual succe

Post by Dib »

Forget original Rare its not the same anymore. Let this ex-rare make fantastic games for any console.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I want this to happen, just so the ex Rare guys can create a new company together. Whenever they did that they created amazing games. I wish the Stamper brothers would join too.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The stretch goals could be "At stretch goal X we will remove one of the asinine collectables you need to get the ending".
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

MrPopo wrote:The stretch goals could be "At stretch goal X we will remove one of the asinine collectables you need to get the ending".

:lol:

Am I the only one who enjoyed the collecting in this game? I only found it annoying in DK64 cause of the 5 characters (who came up with that idea? :S)
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

ZeroAX wrote:
MrPopo wrote:The stretch goals could be "At stretch goal X we will remove one of the asinine collectables you need to get the ending".

:lol:

Am I the only one who enjoyed the collecting in this game? I only found it annoying in DK64 cause of the 5 characters (who came up with that idea? :S)

The only thing I found REALLY grating in Banjo (Kazooie at least) was the note doors. They're based on your total scores from each stage, so if you're short by only a handful, you have to go back to a previous stage and collect every single note you collected the first time along with the ones you're missing.

DK64 kicked the collectables into flat out absurd territory.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, I love collectibles in adventure games. Attempting to 100% DK64 is complete madness though, easily like the biggest adventure game ever.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

ZeroAX wrote:Am I the only one who enjoyed the collecting in this game?
No you are not alone.

I hope this comes out. 3-D platformers just haven't been the same since the N64 era.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:The only thing I found REALLY grating in Banjo (Kazooie at least) was the note doors. They're based on your total scores from each stage, so if you're short by only a handful, you have to go back to a previous stage and collect every single note you collected the first time along with the ones you're missing.

DK64 kicked the collectables into flat out absurd territory.

That was a very questionable game mechanic indeed. But I don't know if I would want the game to only force me to collect the ones I hadn't collected before, or for the number of notes per level to be reduced but the "best score" mechanic to stay. Cause while time consuming (specially if you die) it was still very interesting to try and collect all the notes on one go.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

When I first heard this news, I thought I was having some wonderful dream that was far too good to be true. Yeah, I'll definitely be heavily supporting this when it hits Kickstarter. I need more collect-a-thons in my life, and a new BK-ish game is just what the doctor ordered!
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^