Oniken is so 80s badass

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
J T
Next-Gen

Oniken is so 80s badass

Post by J T »

ONIKEN
*click for developer website*

I don't know if any of you guys have played this yet, but if you haven't you really need to give it a try. It's a lot like Ninja Gaiden from the NES era, or VICE: Project Doom or Shatterhand or Kabuki Quantum Fighter or any other awesome NES side scrolling action game with melee combat.

You can get it at Desura.
http://www.desura.com/games/oniken

This is one of the few retro-styled games that claims to be 8-bit that actually looks like it's 8-bit. This looks and feels like a classic NES game. That also means it's hard, sometimes for good reasons (level design) and sometimes for bad (stupid respawning enemies) and sometimes for debatable reasons (limited continues). Everything is really lovingly crafted as a tribute to 80s action games. I think you guys will really like this one.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ghegs
64-bit

Re: Oniken is so 80s badass

Post by Ghegs »

Oniken is awesome and easily one of my favorite indie titles, but it's about as hard as the NES Contra is "Nintendo Hard" i.e. not really hard. Might seem that way at first, but after playing for it a while and figuring out the boss patterns it's not too bad. I bought it on release and cleared it in the following day.

I do still have the Boss Rush mode to go through, though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

J T wrote:This is one of the few retro-styled games that claims to be 8-bit that actually looks like it's 8-bit. This looks and feels like a classic NES game.

This is straight up why no matter how good so many retro/indie games out there look, I have the hardest time in the world getting into any of them. I'm just way too authentic or crazy about it.

But yeah in that regard, this looks freaking legit and like a real game made from back then.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I was underwhelmed by it honestly, that said it's not a bad game.

I didn't like the music and I felt like there were already so many NES games that do what this game does. Then again I suppose that was the whole point of it.

It definitely feels a lot like Vice: Project Doom which doesn't get enough love itself. Maybe if this were a game actually made for the NES and not just a PC title I'd be able to get into it more. I just feel like I'm playing some random NES game on an emulator when I play Oniken.

I guess you could consider it "Nintendo Hard" but I had the opposite problem with it. For veterans of this type of game it's more on the easy side of things.

I know all my complaints make me sound like I hate the game but I don't. It's a lot of fun, has a great retro look to it and gameplay that references several popular titles. I'd still recommend it.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

It feels more like a minds eye recreation than actually being truly authentic. Graphically, this is doing stuff that's just not feasible on nes. Still awesome though.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Xeogred wrote:
J T wrote:This is one of the few retro-styled games that claims to be 8-bit that actually looks like it's 8-bit. This looks and feels like a classic NES game.

This is straight up why no matter how good so many retro/indie games out there look, I have the hardest time in the world getting into any of them. I'm just way too authentic or crazy about it.

I dont see why indie developers dont do actual NES, SNES etc games. There are homebrew 2600, Jaguar, Genesis etc games. They dont have to make physical copies of the games, people can play them on emulators. It will look authentic and be more impressive when the games run on limited hardware rather than modern computers that have seemingly endless capabilities and memory.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Beacause nobody is going to pay for a rom.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

That is the sad truth. I do hope to see more NES homebrew games, and physical carts are cool, but they also restrict the buyerbase to those who still have a NES around.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Jrecee wrote:Beacause nobody is going to pay for a rom.

Nothing's stopping them from making physical copies with cover art for those said roms :) Making actual homebrew cartridges means that you'll have to sacrifice some "real" NES games in the process and they tend to be quite costly
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Menegrothx wrote:Making actual homebrew cartridges means that you'll have to sacrifice some "real" NES games in the process and they tend to be quite costly

No it doesn't. Retrousb.com makes their cartridges from completely new parts, no sacrifices are made.