Oniken is so 80s badass

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Oniken is so 80s badass

Post by Jrecee »

Either way, look at the prices of those games. Battle kid for example. Sells for around $30 bucks. That greatly reduces the number of potential buyers. And how much of that is actual profit?

What I'm saying is, if you're an indie developer with half-decent business sense, there's no way you're going to try and make money on an actual nes game. As a hobby or labor of love, maybe it's worth doing, but Oniken on PC has a real shot of giving those guys some decent income.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Ghegs wrote:
Menegrothx wrote:Making actual homebrew cartridges means that you'll have to sacrifice some "real" NES games in the process and they tend to be quite costly

No it doesn't. Retrousb.com makes their cartridges from completely new parts, no sacrifices are made.

I didn't know that. That's really cool :o Is it possible to make similiar brand new cartridges for other, non-Nintendo consoles too? I'd love to see some Virtual Boy homebrews since it has such a low number of worthwhile games.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

I know the guys who made this game. I mean, I'm not friends with them, but I know of them. They couldn't even think about making a cartridge of a NES game. You guys have no idea how expensive that would be in this country.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Menegrothx wrote:
Ghegs wrote:
Menegrothx wrote:Making actual homebrew cartridges means that you'll have to sacrifice some "real" NES games in the process and they tend to be quite costly

No it doesn't. Retrousb.com makes their cartridges from completely new parts, no sacrifices are made.

I didn't know that. That's really cool :o Is it possible to make similiar brand new cartridges for other, non-Nintendo consoles too? I'd love to see some Virtual Boy homebrews since it has such a low number of worthwhile games.

Virtual Boy isn't a worthwhile system. ;)

There are some Genesis homebrews but I don't know whether they use donor carts or new parts. Of course it's possible to make brand new cartridges, it's just a question of A) is anybody doing them currently and B) if not, how much money do you need to spend in order to start production. A whole lot, I wager.

jfrost wrote:I know the guys who made this game. I mean, I'm not friends with them, but I know of them. They couldn't even think about making a cartridge of a NES game. You guys have no idea how expensive that would be in this country.

Oniken wouldn't be possible on a real NES anyway, as it does things that wouldn't be possible on real NES hardware. The color palette is one, I recall. Even assuming that the rest of the game could be ported directly to NES (it probably couldn't) it would flicker like crazy so they'd want to re-work the game nonetheless.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

I was assuming the guys would program directly for the NES. Even in that case, it wouldn't ever make sense for them.