The Croc Series

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
brunoafh
Next-Gen

The Croc Series

Post by brunoafh »

Directly inspired by General_Norris's Bubsy thread, I was wondering what you guys thought of the Croc games? Only thread on here that I found was about a canceled DC game.

Croc is pretty much my favorite 3D platformer, all-though that's probably due to nostalgia. I generally dislike 3D platformers but I always loved Croc, both of them. Very memorable PS1 experiences, great music and gameplay. Just very charming and fun all over, I still need to acquire Croc 2, but I still own my original beat to death PS1 copy of the original.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Re: The Croc Series

Post by SwooshBear »

brunoafh wrote:All-though that's probably due to nostalgia. I generally dislike 3D platformers but I always loved Croc...Very memorable PS1 experiences, great music and gameplay.

This sums up my experiences with Croc. I've only played the original but I loved it as a kid. I should get around to playing it again, I was always obsessed with getting all the puzzle pieces back in the day. Truly a great 3D platformer.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Loved one and two as a kid but they've aged horribly in my opinion. The music is pretty fantastic though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mwWkwQjWVY

:mrgreen:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Definitely felt like all the other great platformers back then to me... I found these games to be pretty comparable to Crash, Spyro, and the 3D Gex games. So yeah I enjoyed Croc a good bit. I think I only played one of them though and can't remember which... but probably the original. I remember the levels were pretty compact and small which worked out well.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Wasnt Croc compared to Mario64 back then as to top notch 3D platformers at the time?

I still have my copy as well,but its on my trade list I should give this guy a go.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Post by disorderlyvision »

This is a series I've always wanted to give a chance, but haven't got around to it. I'm sure I will one of these days.
Godot102
64-bit

Post by Godot102 »

I've never played it either but I remember seeing ads for it in magazines. I am willing to give it a try one day :D I hope the gameplay isn't too dated.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Growing up with Banjo-Kazooie and such and NOT Croc, I have to be honest and say Croc was pretty painful to play through to the end. There are a ton of problems with the game in general; a lot doing with a severe lack of polish (no animations/sound effect for beating a boss other than the battle just abruptly ending for example) and a lack of creativity/variety. Plus it's worthy of mention that the controls are pretty terrible compared to other 3D platformers released at the time and very frustrating. It's quite linear as well with only standard "move the block" puzzles and no characters to interact with whatsoever.

While it was decent enough, compared to the likes of others at the time (Super Mario 64, Rayman 2, Banjo, Crash, Spyro; heck even Gex) it's not worth playing through before these other classic games.
scarper
128-bit

Post by scarper »

I 100%ed Croc a few years ago. I personally loved it, but the controls are what people complain about the most. To me, the controls were a bit sloppy, but easy to get used to. The charming aesthetic, and unique/challenging level designs are what make it good.

It's a good sleeper hit, and all PS1 owners who enjoy platforming should check it out. Do not play the Saturn version, if you have the choice. That actually did have bad controls, among other issues. I've heard the PC version is the best, but I've never played it.

It does not top the PS1's Spyro or Crash games.