Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Re: Enjoyable 3D platformers

by Cronozilla Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Well, it's sidescrolling, but the graphics are 3D (yay ambiguity!)

Super Mario 3D Land is not short. It took me about 3 hours to get through to world 8 ... but that's only half of the game, at minimum. The back 8 get tough as nails in some sections. Then there's getting the star coins, if you're into that thing. And earning Stars on your profile.

The game overall is absolutely stellar. I really can't emphasize it enough. It feels like a proper SMB3 follow up meshed with some Mario 64 sensibilities and a sprinkle of Galaxy's nostalgia influence.

i.e. it's good.

There's the modern Prince of Persia games, which are all about nailing platforming sections. I'd argue if you wanted a mostly platforming experience, you'd want to try out the 2008 version. When there is enemy combat, it's one on one, and acts more like boss fights.

There's also things like Mirror's Edge, which is 100% about nailing those jumps.

Of course, Klonoa 1, 2, and remake are all 3D platformers.

What about Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Sonic Generations (which is very good) Or Jet Grind Radio.

I mean, I think in the thread this is pretty much it, unless you want to play the PS2 Scooby-Doo games or something.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 am

I tried Sly 2 on PCSX2 a while ago. Version 0.9.4 or 0.9.6 so pretty recent. None of the cel shading worked at all. The PS3 version looks great though. Widescreen adds a lot to the game.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:28 am

Cronozilla wrote:There's the modern Prince of Persia games, which are all about nailing platforming

What about Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Sonic Generations (which is very good) Or Jet Grind Radio.

Prince of Persia is another franchise I should get into. Any good platforming in sands of time? I have heard a lot of praise about that one.
Like I said, I count Sonic Generations and also both Adventure games as enjoyable 3D Sonic games.

I didnt like Mirrors edge that much, even though some sequences are pretty nice there is a bit too much free roaming imo. And its quite realistic.

Jet Set Radio is nice but if that counts as a 3D platformer, doesnt that mean that Tony hawks pro skater, Aggressive inline and other similiar sport games are also 3D platformers? :P

Which should I go for, the original Klonoa or the wii remake? I usually prefer to buy the original game on the original platform, but the first Klonoa seems a tad bit expensive.
Cronozilla wrote:
I mean, I think in the thread this is pretty much it, unless you want to play the PS2 Scooby-Doo games or something.

Gladly, if they are any good. I love cartoon based games when they are done right.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
eskil
32-bit

by eskil Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:00 pm

What about Psychonauts? It may not fit all your criteria, but it is definitely enjoyable.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Well, I suggested the 2008 one because it doesn't have the clusterfrank of enemy encounters that are in Sands of Time. Sands of Time's weakest aspect is its combat, it isn't fair in any way and is quite frustrating. While the platforming is very fun and satisfying when you do it right ... the combat feels like luck of the draw almost. It really is the weakest aspect of that game. And it has early 00s design. So platform-platform-platform-combat encounter-platform-platform-platform-puzzle-combat encounter sort of formula to the game. It's not bad, but it's not what I'd argue is a pure platforming experience. The 2008 game on the other hand, it's nearly open world, but you have to platform your way everywhere. There's wall running up the wazoo in that game. There's also a good amount of puzzle solving, because it wouldn't be PoP without it.

But they're all good. it's just Sands of Time ... maybe hasn't aged so well in some respects.

How in the world could you argue Mirror's Edge was too open? There's like ... 2 paths in the entire game. Ever. :P

Well, it seems most things classify Jet Grind Radio as something of a platformer. I was stretching, man.

On Klonoa, do you really have to choose? The Wii Remake is much easier to get a hold of and it's so stupid low cheap, you really have no reason NOT to get it. But, obviously the PS1 one is likely more fun, however, that game is EXPENSIVE. If you want something NOW, go for the Wii version.

No, the Scooby-Doo games are not good. But they might fill your craving for ancient-style platformers :P (Video Game Junk Food?)

The type of games you're talking about, really only continued to exist in those licensed games. So, Scooby-Doo, Donald Duck, stuff like that.

Actually, I'm sure they're just as clunky as the PS1 platformers so maybe you WILL like them a lot :D
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:00 pm

eskil wrote:What about Psychonauts?

Already played it, fun game though
Cronozilla wrote:How in the world could you argue Mirror's Edge was too open? There's like ... 2 paths in the entire game. Ever. :P

Yes, but from what I recall, you could move pretty freely. There wasnt the kind of confinement that some sections of Sonic games and old Crash games had. Doing a sequence of jumps and slides etc was fun but it wasnt the sort of fun Im talking about :) I need boxes and enemies to bounce on!
Cronozilla wrote:No, the Scooby-Doo games are not good. But they might fill your craving for ancient-style platformers :P (Video Game Junk Food?)

The type of games you're talking about, really only continued to exist in those licensed games. So, Scooby-Doo, Donald Duck, stuff like that.

Theres one really good Donald Duck game on PS2 (or so Ive heard). Donald duck going quackers or something like that. And I get what you mean. Its too bad there arent many good lisence games these days. Most Disney games etc were good back in the days. Rango looks cool though, maybe I should try that one out?
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Well it's first person perspective, the game would have been much worse if suddenly you couldn't turn. Though there are some scripted sections. The game became more about nailing each part of the course. But, alright.

The classic style platformer is pretty much gone in the 3D space. I mean, unless you want Mario or some of the other games listed here, the platforming is pretty much gone, and even those are more about gaining certain items or things like that.

I think at this point, there's not a lot people could suggest. Maybe just go out and try some titles after doing some research on wikipedia. Because I think you're getting into territory where most people would consider the games not so great.

If you were okay if the games had combat at the same time, then maybe the list would be larger. (Could include stuff like I-Ninja)
Jrecee
Next-Gen

by Jrecee Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm still fairly confident the two I listed are exactly what you're looking for. Did you check them out?
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Jrecee wrote:I'm still fairly confident the two I listed are exactly what you're looking for. Did you check them out?

Im out of cash at the moment and my computer is busted so I havent had the chance to try them on an emulator yet. Im definetly checking them out as soon as I can, especially Super Magnetic sounds like a game I want to own as its basically a Crash Bandicoot clone for the Dreamcast. Always looking forward to finding new hidden Dreamcast gems.
SirPsycho
24-bit

by SirPsycho Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:15 pm

I grew up playing and loving the first 3 Spyro games for the PS1. Despite the age of the games by now they still hold up quite well, they have a wonderful charm and have enough content for adults to enjoy as well.

Maybe its just from years of replaying them but they are easy for the most part, there are some challenges that might stop some people for awhile for their first playthrough.

But I'm still a believer that the post-Insomniac Spyro games are just decent at best.
Return to Platformers