Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ksloth
32-bit

Re: Enjoyable 3D platformers

by ksloth Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Rayman (the 3D one) on Dreamcast was pretty awesome. I think it's on several other consoles as well.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

ksloth wrote:Rayman (the 3D one) on Dreamcast was pretty awesome. I think it's on several other consoles as well.

The second or the third? I love Rayman and Rayman Origins but Ive never got very far in Rayman 2 because its just so damn boring. I retried last night but I just quit after an hour or so because. I dont see why they had to make games like Gex and Rayman go 3D just for the sake of it.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
ksloth
32-bit

by ksloth Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Menegrothx wrote:
ksloth wrote:Rayman (the 3D one) on Dreamcast was pretty awesome. I think it's on several other consoles as well.

The second or the third? I love Rayman and Rayman Origins but Ive never got very far in Rayman 2 because its just so damn boring. I retried last night but I just quit after an hour or so because. I dont see why they had to make games like Gex and Rayman go 3D just for the sake of it.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape. I remember really enjoying it, though it got pretty hard. That was back in 1999 or 2000? I can't remember. I haven't played it since I beat it.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 pm

ksloth wrote:Rayman 2: The Great Escape. I remember really enjoying it, though it got pretty hard. That was back in 1999 or 2000? I can't remember. I haven't played it since I beat it.

I quit around the part where I had to dive underwater behind a whale and breathe the air bubbles it left behind.
Maybe you might change your opinion if you replay the game? After revisiting N64/PS1-era 3D platformer games like Croc and Banjo-Kazooie I felt like they werent all that great as I remembered them to be. There are some exceptions like Ape Escape. Or should I keep on going and wait untill Rayman 2 gets better?
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Godot102
64-bit

by Godot102 Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 pm

^^In that case definitely check out the Jumping Flash games, I still play them every now and then, they are very colorful platformers and quite original for its time!
Jrecee
Next-Gen

by Jrecee Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:17 pm

What you're talking about might be my favorite genre.

Bomberman Hero. (N64)

Supermagnetic Neo (Dreamcast)

Of course I also love Rayman 2.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 am

Sly 2 has really cool climbing scenes with a powerful sense of height. While it's generally pretty easy to get around, the levels are incredibly well laid out and figuring out what to do is a really enjoyable, although simple, kind of puzzle. Mission environments can be very linear with stealth challenges, traps, moving hazards, and generally cool design while a vast open world rewards you for exploring it. The world is put together with love.

And you can climb all of it.

Sly 2 is my favorite 3D platformer and I'm 100% biased. Even if you don't think it's a masterpiece, it's definitely worth the price of admission and I think you'll enjoy the platforming along with the rest of the game.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:Sly 2 has really cool climbing scenes with a powerful sense of height. While it's generally pretty easy to get around, the levels are incredibly well laid out and figuring out what to do is a really enjoyable, although simple, kind of puzzle. Mission environments can be very linear with stealth challenges, traps, moving hazards, and generally cool design while a vast open world rewards you for exploring it. The world is put together with love.

And you can climb all of it.

Sly 2 is my favorite 3D platformer and I'm 100% biased. Even if you don't think it's a masterpiece, it's definitely worth the price of admission and I think you'll enjoy the platforming along with the rest of the game.

The sly series is something that I never got around of playing, even though Ive wanted ever since the intial game. I ought to try it out on an emulator once I get my PC fixed and then buy them later on when I have the cash for it :)
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 pm

I assume the 3D mario games are a foregone conclusion in this discussion :p

I will point out that Super Mario 3D Land is absolutely fantastic.

There's also stuff like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Which are both very good.

Jak and Daxter is mostly platforming with a bit of action, and all those games are quite nice.

I'd argue Ratchet and Clank ... but they're more action games with platforming (rather than platforming games with action)
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Cronozilla wrote:There's also stuff like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Which are both very good)

Donkey Kong Country Returns is 2D? :P I dont have a 3DS yet so cant play 3D land, but Ive heard that its only like 4 hours long?

I will make a list of the 3D platformers Ive played so far, so you will know what I have already tried out

Jak and Daxter 1-3 and the PSP game and Daxters stand alone game on PSP
All PS2 Ratchet and Clank games and Secret Agent Clank
Ape Escape
Croc 1 and 2
Ty the tasmanian Tiger 1 and 2
Banjo kazooie
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Donkey Kong 64
MediEvil 1, 2 and the remake for PSP
Kao the Kangaroo
Crash mind over mutant
Nights into dreams, if this even counts as a platformer
Mega Man X7
Psychonauts
All Spyro games on PS1
Pac-Man World on PS1
Gex 3
Bugs Bunny - Lost in Time
Sheep, Dog n Wolf
Bugs Bunny & Taz Time Busters
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Rayman 2
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysee
Bubsy 3D
Earthworm Jim 3D
Alice: Madness Returns
Epic Mickey
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
And a bunch of Sonic games, although all the enjoyable parts are 2.5D I guess

Cant think of any more at the moment, there might be some titles that I have totally forgot about.

I dont hate all these games, some of them are even my all time favorites, none of them just has the sort of gameplay joy that early Crash Bandicoot games gave me. The actual platforming and jumping just doesnt seem to be the main focus in most of these games, or its less challenging/fun.
Return to Platformers