MegaMan X4 is handing my ASS to me

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: MegaMan X4 is handing my ASS to me

Post by Xeogred »

I should really revisit X2-X3 myself sometime soon, since I hit up all the Zero's last year, MMV on the GB, the Xtreme's, and replayed X for the millionth time... I'm out of options! In a way I think most of us can probably agree that X2 is a little more like the first real X entry in terms of style. It had the side bosses, more powerups, you actually start with the dashing, and the bosses were more versatile. The bosses in X definitely feel pretty classic Megaman in design, simple patterns, and just their moves and stuff in general are pretty basic. Who knows though, still love the game and I'm honestly not sure which X I would call my top favorite out of the first three.

... or in general? Huh, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I've ever had a number one pick, when I can say MM3 of the original line is my top favorite there (with MM2 behind it). I tend to just group the whole original X trilogy together and love them all for different things, but yeah I guess it'd be hard to nail down my top choice.

From there, there's no question that X4 just blows the rest away. Even if I think X5 is decent and X6 is playable, there's just no question. lol
LoneCynic
32-bit

Post by LoneCynic »

I'm up to X6, and after re-tuning my skills on the first 5 games in the series, I've had an easier time getting through it this play through. It has actually moved up my list somewhat. X6 is challenging, no doubt, but it is a really fun game. I like having four different armors for X and using the parts system to customize X and Zero. It is better than I remembered it.

Too bad there will never be another classic style X game like 1-6..
Flake

Post by Flake »

LoneCynic wrote:
Too bad there will never be another Megaman Game...

Fixed that for you!

I worked at X6 a little a couple of weeks ago and found myself liking it more than I remembered as well. It's a deeply flawed game but I kinda see what they wanted it to be. If only they had had more time.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
abeaver
16-bit

Post by abeaver »

When you guys play X games, do you bind dash to one of the shoulder buttons? I never understood why it's always a face button as default when that makes it almost imposible to charge, dash, and jump at the same time. I owned X1 and X4 on the PC, where the buttons were z for dash, x for jump, and c for fire, so I never had that problem until I encountered X5 and X6 on the Playstation.

On the topic of X4, it may be my favorite game in the series. I actually find it to be the easiest, but that's only because I've played it to death on the PC, Saturn, and even Dreamcast. When I discovered the Mega Man X games ran with little problems on Bleem I was estatic. I remember one summer night I played Mega Man X 6 in one sitting on the Dreamcast. It took me three hours and I had to use the jump and dash chips with the Shadow Armor to get past Gate's Laboratory, but it was awesome.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Yeah, I usually have dash set to L.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah I always set dash to R1 (dualshock). I cannot play it with the dash set to a face button.
abeaver
16-bit

Post by abeaver »

I actually broke the shoulder buttons on my DS thanks to Mega Man ZX and my unrelenting dashing and buster charging. My GBA ones are kind of iffy too after playing the four Zero games over and over again.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I put dash on a left shoulder and one of the chargeable attack buttons on a right shoulder. That way I can hold a charge and jump around without doing crazy stuff on the face buttons.

Ivo.
Godot102
64-bit

Post by Godot102 »

I like to set dash to R2. That's always seemed to work best for me. I like it especially for dash jumping off a wall, plus its fun to do dash canceling with it.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Left shoulder for Dash. When I was a kid, I actually left it on the A button on the SNES controller and did some kind of wacky grip to make it work.

When Rockman Zero came out for the GBA and I found myself down two face buttons, I got used to the shoulder dash. How I managed to live any other way is beyond me.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?