Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Genesis Knight
32-bit

MegaMan X4 is handing my ASS to me

by Genesis Knight Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 pm

I've owned the Saturn port for some time and I just recently sat down to start playing it. I've never played a MegaMan game (sue me) but I play a lot of retro games obviously...however, this game is completely tearing me apart. I can get through the stages okay, but the bosses are fucking nails. My tiny health gauge is obliterated in four or five hits and by then I've barely worked the boss down halfway. My jaw is literally left agape at how horrifically I get violated.

So far I've beat the Cyber Spider and...oh yeah, that's it. I'm trying to beat the Magma Dragoon right now and I'm getting decimated. Gave up on the Snow Walrus thingamajig.

Anyway I'm googling around and it looks like X4 is the EASIEST of the X games? What the hell, what sort of reflexes and time do you guys have?
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Re: MegaMan X4 is handing my ASS to me

by GameMasterGuy Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Never even LOOK at a classic 7 cart. It's final boss gave me trouble, and that's coming from someone who did a no-damage run of X4. How many heart tanks do you have? And what armor are you using? I'm assuming you can use armor, a Zero run through it would be suicide if you're having this much trouble.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
Flake

by Flake Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Man, it really is all relative. I can clear X4 with my eyes shut. Of course, I have also beaten it over thirty times.

Advice for your first time:

- Use X
- Collect hearts and parts before you bother with the bosses
- Hang close to the walls for mobility against large bosses
- If things get so hard you are not having any fun, look up the code for 'Ultimate Armor X' and use it. It'll make the game much easier and will allow you to have fun while you learn your Megaman skills.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

by GameMasterGuy Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Flake wrote:It'll make the game much easier and will allow you to have fun while you learn your mash nova strike skills.

Fix'd.
Genesis Knight
32-bit

by Genesis Knight Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 pm

GameMasterGuy wrote:Never even LOOK at a classic 7 cart. It's final boss gave me trouble, and that's coming from someone who did a no-damage run of X4. How many heart tanks do you have? And what armor are you using? I'm assuming you can use armor, a Zero run through it would be suicide if you're having this much trouble.

Jesus, a no damage run. I am not worthy! I have no heart tanks right now (guess I need to get a guide, but if I get a heart tank do I also need to beat the level boss again to keep it?) and the only armor I have is the floaty boots.

Flake wrote:If things get so hard you are not having any fun, look up the code for 'Ultimate Armor X' and use it. It'll make the game much easier and will allow you to have fun while you learn your Megaman skills.

I am using X (when I first tried to play the game some years ago I chose Zero, to much tragedy/hilarity) and yeah, I am literally not having fun. The only other game I've ever turned off in my life from stupefying frustration is Gaiares. I think it and Mega Man X4 are the only games that have ever completely stonewalled me so early in the game like this...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Eh, Zero makes the game so easy it's not fun for me. He annihilates the bosses.

I don't know what to say, but I have a lot of friends who have trouble with Megaman games too. Just keep playing some of them here and there and maybe you'll get better.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

by GameMasterGuy Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Genesis Knight wrote:
GameMasterGuy wrote:Never even LOOK at a classic 7 cart. It's final boss gave me trouble, and that's coming from someone who did a no-damage run of X4. How many heart tanks do you have? And what armor are you using? I'm assuming you can use armor, a Zero run through it would be suicide if you're having this much trouble.

Jesus, a no damage run. I am not worthy! I have no heart tanks right now (guess I need to get a guide, but if I get a heart tank do I also need to beat the level boss again to keep it?) and the only armor I have is the floaty boots.

It's not as hard as the no damage/no special weapon run I've seen others do. Each boss's weapon beats another rock-paper-scissors style. Also, you can get a game over or choose exit level (not available until you beat it the first time) and still keep the armor part or upgrade. The leg upgrade in X4 is fairly useless in combat, but it can help you with a few of the upgrades. It's been a while since I played X4 specifically, but I think there's exactly one HT per level and with the exception of Frost Walrus (who has two) and another one (can't remember which, but he must have zero to balance it out) there's one non-HT upgrade (either an armor part, one of the two E-Tanks, the W-Tank, or the absolutely useless Super Tank... or something, can't remember its name, but it just gives you a higher max life count).
Flake

by Flake Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:00 pm

No, once you grab an item is it yours, win, lose, or die.

There are four parts to be had. Well, technically five but two of them are right next to each other and you can only use four at a time.

The 'Ultimate Armor' code lets X get the full armor set the first time he grabs a part (usually the leg parts), only it is black and has infinite nova strikes. The nova strike pretty much breaks the game.

Ultimate Armor reduces the difficulty by a whole lot but it also lets you learn how to play the game. The secret to any X game is to learn the enemy patterns.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 pm

GameMasterGuy wrote:
Genesis Knight wrote:

It's not as hard as the no damage/no special weapon run I've seen others do. Each boss's weapon beats another rock-paper-scissors style. Also, you can get a game over or choose exit level (not available until you beat it the first time) and still keep the armor part or upgrade. The leg upgrade in X4 is fairly useless in combat, but it can help you with a few of the upgrades. It's been a while since I played X4 specifically, but I think there's exactly one HT per level and with the exception of Frost Walrus (who has two) and another one (can't remember which, but he must have zero to balance it out) there's one non-HT upgrade (either an armor part, one of the two E-Tanks, the W-Tank, or the absolutely useless Super Tank... or something, can't remember its name, but it just gives you a higher max life count).

Did you get Mr. Perfect in MM10? I know I did. :wink:
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Start with Frost Walrus, he's slow and easy. With his weapon, you can easily kill Jet Stingray. Then Slash Beast. Then... you know the drill. The weapons make the bosses really pathetic.
Return to Platformers