Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Ziggy

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by Ziggy »

So I was playing Castlevania ( 1 ) last night on a CRT for the first time in a while. I want to start practicing for a no damage run. In the fourth level, in the long walk with Eagles and Flea Men, I accidentally picked up an ax (it's common for the Flea Men to drop axes). I usually use the "freeze the boss with holy water" method, but whenever I mistakenly pick up another sub weapon I keep going anyway. So I fought Frankenstein and Igor with the ax and TOOK NO DAMAGE! I was shocked. Not counting with holy water, I never beat that boss without taking a hit before.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Congrats man! I could never get the timing of the axe down, I guess now you know what method to use!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Oh, I'll be sticking with the holy water! It's just nice to know that if I accidentally pick up an ax there (which is very common) I don't have to hit reset right away.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ziggy587 wrote:So I was playing Castlevania ( 1 ) last night on a CRT for the first time in a while. I want to start practicing for a no damage run. In the fourth level, in the long walk with Eagles and Flea Men, I accidentally picked up an ax (it's common for the Flea Men to drop axes). I usually use the "freeze the boss with holy water" method, but whenever I mistakenly pick up another sub weapon I keep going anyway. So I fought Frankenstein and Igor with the ax and TOOK NO DAMAGE! I was shocked. Not counting with holy water, I never beat that boss without taking a hit before.

Well done! That battle is tough to do hitless for sure. Not sure I have...

...but I did once get through the Death battle without cheesing Holy Water without taking a hit. I was in the zone dodging sickles somehow, and just keep chucking those boomerangs!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sarge wrote:...but I did once get through the Death battle without cheesing Holy Water without taking a hit. I was in the zone dodging sickles somehow, and just keep chucking those boomerangs!

Nice! I've beat Death a few times without holy water, but I don't believe I've ever beat Death without holy water and without taking a hit. That's definitely my non-holy water method for Death though: Get the triple shot and just keep throwing those crosses / boomerangs. I concentrate only on hitting and avoiding the sickles as a priority over attacking Death. It's a very defensive strategy. A strong offense against Death only gets you killed by the sickles, so I feel like this is the only way to do it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ziggy587 wrote:Nice! I've beat Death a few times without holy water, but I don't believe I've ever beat Death without holy water and without taking a hit. That's definitely my non-holy water method for Death though: Get the triple shot and just keep throwing those crosses / boomerangs. I concentrate only on hitting and avoiding the sickles as a priority over attacking Death. It's a very defensive strategy. A strong offense against Death only gets you killed by the sickles, so I feel like this is the only way to do it.

Definitely the only viable method. The boomerangs ricocheting all over the place will take care of damage (and a few sickles), so really it's just all about dodging, dodging, dodging. I have won a whip-only battle with him, but that really requires things to go your way. I'm not sure I could recreate that battle if I tried. :P
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sarge wrote:I have won a whip-only battle with him, but that really requires things to go your way. I'm not sure I could recreate that battle if I tried.

Damn, I think that tops my Frankenstein and Igor no-damage.

So are these accomplishments naturally occurring? Or do you purposely try to do things such as a whip-only battle? I was thinking about making a list of accomplishments I'd like to do for this game, and check them off as I do them. Possibly record footage of it too.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Which is harder? Death in Castlevania (1) with no holy water, or Death in Castlevania III ?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

supposedly, it's leaked that a SOTN/Rondo of Blood collection will be coming to PS4. I'm hoping that it'll also be on Switch.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:supposedly, it's leaked that a SOTN/Rondo of Blood collection will be coming to PS4. I'm hoping that it'll also be on Switch.

It would make sense with Richter coming to Smash Bros.

I'm a bit of a sucker for watching reaction videos of the Nintendo Directs, and a shocking amount of self-proclaimed Castlevania fans didn't know who Richter was. Would be a good opportunity to make use of for Konami, for sure.

Maybe we'll see the 3 NES games appear on Switch online too