Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

by ZeroAX Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:45 am

Dawn of Sorrow remains my favorite Castlevania game, yet I could do without the anime drama.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 pm

ZeroAX wrote:Dawn of Sorrow remains my favorite Castlevania game, yet I could do without the anime drama.

:?

What others have you played? lol
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Xeogred wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:Dawn of Sorrow remains my favorite Castlevania game, yet I could do without the anime drama.

Dawn of Sorrows is what convinced me to sell my DS.
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:14 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Dawn of Sorrows is what convinced me to sell my DS.

I've never understood the logic of a specific game convincing or forcing one to sell a system...all the more strange each time I see it again online
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:42 pm

darsparx wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Dawn of Sorrows is what convinced me to sell my DS.

I've never understood the logic of a specific game convincing or forcing one to sell a system...all the more strange each time I see it again online

It was more the tipping point. The games I liked for it (NSMB, Okamiden, Radiant Historia) were being outnumbered by the games I found very disappointing (Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden), and the mediocre games (Contra 4, Nanostray 1 & 2) weren't doing enough to keep my interest.

Plus it is very uncomfortable in my hands, more than the PSP or GBA SP.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:50 pm

I'm kind of a Metroidvania whore, so I can't help but find satisfaction in exploring yet another version of Dracula's castle (or even land surrounding it) regardless of how dissapointing it might be to some.
I think I want to move in someday... :P
...just another lost soul...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:12 pm

I found Dawn to be quite a step down from Aria, even the art/graphics looked a bit weird. Portrait was a weak follow up too... though Order of Eclessia is legit, if you didn't play that one o.p, you missed out on one of the best in the franchise. The hardest of the Metroidvania's next to Circle of the Moon, and they finally completely ditched all the touch style gimmicks. It was damn good.

Harmony of Dissonance is probably the weakest Metroidvania CV to me, and Dawn and Portrait were kind of whatever. I think SoTN, Aria, Circle, and Order blow them away.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:36 pm

Xeogred wrote:I found Dawn to be quite a step down from Aria, even the art/graphics looked a bit weird. Portrait was a weak follow up too... though Order of Eclessia is legit, if you didn't play that one o.p, you missed out on one of the best in the franchise. The hardest of the Metroidvania's next to Circle of the Moon, and they finally completely ditched all the touch style gimmicks. It was damn good.

Harmony of Dissonance is probably the weakest Metroidvania CV to me, and Dawn and Portrait were kind of whatever. I think SoTN, Aria, Circle, and Order blow them away.

Ugh, don't make me get back into it. No touch gimmicks? That might do it. Maybe I can borrow it from a friend.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:22 am

After Dawn they dropped the touch gimmicks. The bonus modes from Portrait and Order use touch, but the one from Portrait becomes an entirely touch experience and the one in Order is used for on screen teleportation, so you can ignore it if you want because the character has enough mobility with buttons.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:13 am

Xeogred wrote:

All the DS ones, the 3DS one, Castlevania 1 and 4 and finally SoTN, which I found good but I liked Dawn of Sorrow more.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Return to Platformers