Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Ziggy587 wrote:Speaking of how badly Konami has neglected Castlevania... We had some awesome 2D or 2.5D sidescrollers on the Wii this generation, there's no reason Konami couldn't have made an awesome 2D Castlevania for the Wii, true to its roots.

Don't forget, we got Castlevania Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare.. Check it out!!

And those tats are really sweet, dude!! 8)
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Don't forget, we got Castlevania Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare.. Check it out!!

Yeah, I have Adventure ReBirth. It's great, don't get me wrong, but it's too short. That's neglect right there. When it came out, my wishful thinking was that they were testing the waters for a real old school style CV game. I wish we could have gotten something the size of CV3 or 4, or Rondo, or even larger, as a real Wii title and not just a small WiiWare game.

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:And those tats are really sweet, dude!! 8)

Thanks!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

brunoafh wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Is Chronicles worth checking out as well? Looks like a cool remake of the original.

Definitely, it's awesome. It's not really a remake of CV 1 however, not sure if you meant that or not though. It's an enhanced port of the Sharp X68000 game, although the original game is included as well.

I absolutely LOVE Chronicles.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:The Angry Video Game Nerd really gave that game the scarlet letter...

Bah, I knew someone would bring this up. AVGN's video has nothing to do with my opinion of the game.

I have always thought it was a terrible game, for me it's just unplayable. Level design is bland as hell and confusing, only 3 bosses in the entire game (all extremely easy), the word cryptic doesn't even begin to bring justice to how vague this game is (this alone makes it unplayable), the night/day system is so stupid it hurts, and yeah I could go on and on. I'll admit it was an interesting idea and the game could have been great, but there are so many glaring flaws that bring the game down, it's unfortunate.

I think a lot of my aggression towards the game comes from the fact I feel like I was cheated out of an awesome trilogy, if that makes sense haha. Ninja Gaiden has a holy triforce of 8-bit glory, but when you go to the Castlevania trilogy you have Simon's Quest rearing it's ugly head and holding the trilogy back from being truly great. I can see how some fans might enjoy it, but that game just pisses me off.
sbk
64-bit

Post by sbk »

Castlevania has to be one of my favorite games series out there. It is just has this look to it that takes me back to the same feelings I had as a child watching old horror movies. I have never beaten any of the old style Castlevania's because I suck at video games but I have beaten most of the Metroidvania ones, my favorite being Aria of Sorrow. AoS is probably my favorite game to play out of all of them. I love looking at artwork for the series for the classic ones because they looks so timely. I need to get more Castlevania merch. Ebay here I come.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

o.pwuaioc wrote:How badly do I need to play post-SotN games? My favorite so far is Super Castlevania IV, though III comes pretty close too. I like the Metroidvania style and all, and I absolutely love Super Metroid, but there's something about III and IV that I just really dig.

Let me simply sum it up and say the DS CV's are pretty much THEE reason why I even cared about my DS for years. OoE was probably the last new game I bought for mine. It was also awesome to have for the GBA titles.

Don't miss out on these. No problem in being a fan of both styles, like myself (though like I'm obviously saying I am biased for the Metroidvania style, heh).

@Ziggy587: Yeah I've seen you talk about that stuff before, I guess whenever I get around to trying it out again I'll consider going with that stuff.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Merry Christmas, Castlevania fans!

B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I love the Symphony of the Night era of Castlevania. It wasn't until that game changed the Castlevania mold that I really loved the franchise. I've since played Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia and enjoyed them, particularly Portrait of Ruin, and I have Dracula X Chronicles for the updated version of Symphony of the Night. I love all things Supernatural as some of my favorite tv shows are Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Supernatural

Lords of Shadow was pretty decent, and is a good sign for the franchise's future in 3D. I just hope the sequel can have at least SOME originality though, as Lords of Shadow was just blatant ripping off of other popular games. Then again, that formula seems to work quite well for Uncharted so who am I to question it?
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:The Angry Video Game Nerd really gave that game the scarlet letter...

I don't know if it's just his fault. He actually said Zelda II was a pretty good game, but that hasn't stopped people on the internet from still shitting on that one.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I kind of wish Bloodrayne Betrayal had turned out better and been more successful. It would have been cool to have a successful new series carry on the Castlevania tradition in 2D. Yet another potentially great game ruined by the silly, juvenile obsession to make a game as super "hardcore" as possible, rather than genuinely "fun". Not surprising that reviewers shat all over it. Even people I've talked to who liked the game hated some parts of it for being ridiculously, unreasonably hard
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.